Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
hvsmith

No Stage Reset at Major Matches

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, davidb72 said:

Good point.

I think it's an interesting idea. How do you feel about it?

From a staff POV, the 8 slots make it possible to do a much better job for all the squads. I RO'ed the A1 early match and 12 squads a day was a ball-breaker.

From a shooter POV, it may be an issue for folks that are vacation day light. It will be like shooting four club matches in a row. I might prefer one or maybe even 2 more slots but 5 would work.

From a stage reset POV: I never found reset that big of a burden but it would be nice to not have to do it while shooting. I am guessing that the guys who a slackers are going to complain because that this plan makes it difficult weasel out of helping and I really like that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind resetting stages but what I think sucks is when if the shooters are NOT to reset, being treated like its cheeting and RO's demanding on one is allowed back to look at the stage after the 4 mins. Of corse the next shooter owns the stage PERIOD! I'm talking about just having another look. Being left handed its tuff as hell to get a stage plan when im going aginst the flow of 98% of shooters that are right handed.  Now If any shooter interferes with that shooter then jump his shit. But whatever some need to act like they can control something I guess. Oh well just musing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ChuckS said:

From a staff POV, the 8 slots make it possible to do a much better job for all the squads. I RO'ed the A1 early match and 12 squads a day was a ball-breaker.

From a shooter POV, it may be an issue for folks that are vacation day light. It will be like shooting four club matches in a row. I might prefer one or maybe even 2 more slots but 5 would work.

From a stage reset POV: I never found reset that big of a burden but it would be nice to not have to do it while shooting. I am guessing that the guys who a slackers are going to complain because that this plan makes it difficult weasel out of helping and I really like that!

I RO'd the AREA 1 Late match.

3 days of 12 squads a day was no picnic either. But it was my first time to Utah and I found the area to be beautiful and enjoyed my time out there even if I was exhausted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, a matt said:

I don't mind resetting stages but what I think sucks is when if the shooters are NOT to reset, being treated like its cheeting and RO's demanding on one is allowed back to look at the stage after the 4 mins.

 

Yeah, i don't mind resetting, partly because I continue to look at the stage on the way to/from the targets. It also keeps me from getting bored.

 

I'm a big fan of not shooting 12 squads a day. I ran the A1 stage with 3 swingers for the main match, and it was hard work with almost no downtime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2016 at 0:08 PM, hvsmith said:

I've always thought it would be a great Perk at Major Matches to have 14-17 year old kids that would patch & reset steel at every stage so all participants could just enjoy shooting.

 

They did this at one of the higher level IDPA matches last year, boy scouts I think. I wasn't there, but the report I got back was that it was pretty boring standing around & doing nothing for most of the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

 

They did this at one of the higher level IDPA matches last year, boy scouts I think. I wasn't there, but the report I got back was that it was pretty boring standing around & doing nothing for most of the day. 

They had school kids reset at least one previous charity match in Yuma, Az. By mid-afternoon, they had pretty much lost interest. I don't blame them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not resetting stages and just sitting around sounds boring as hell...What else are we gonna do, play leap frog, checkers? The laziness of people amaze me...rephrase that, people in general amaze me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Prov1x said:

Not resetting stages and just sitting around sounds boring as hell...What else are we gonna do, play leap frog, checkers? The laziness of people amaze me...rephrase that, people in general amaze me. 

That is so very true. ^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Prov1x said:

Not resetting stages and just sitting around sounds boring as hell...What else are we gonna do, play leap frog, checkers? The laziness of people amaze me...rephrase that, people in general amaze me. 

 

A little bit harsh maybe? I am too mentally unstable to do well with too much idle time, but I can see where somebody might think that it would be fun to have more time to b.s. with friends or focus on the shooting or just try to keep mind and legs at their best for the duration of a long match. Can not fault anyone for being curious & trying out the idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

 

A little bit harsh maybe? I am too mentally unstable to do well with too much idle time, but I can see where somebody might think that it would be fun to have more time to b.s. with friends or focus on the shooting or just try to keep mind and legs at their best for the duration of a long match. Can not fault anyone for being curious & trying out the idea. 

No don't read into it wrong, I wasn't saying it's wrong or blaming Ken for trying it. Although just sitting around for 20 - 30 minutes plus per stage, for 20 stages, sounds mind-numbingly obscene to me. And on top of that there's just so many people whining and crying about having to reset or not reset, work or not work blah blah blah.

 

I'm just trying to figure out how I can afford to go, especially since this is the last nationals that's going to be there and I've never been to Utah so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Prov1x said:

Not resetting stages and just sitting around sounds boring as hell...What else are we gonna do, play leap frog, checkers? The laziness of people amaze me...rephrase that, people in general amaze me. 

 

Well, you could use the time to visualize your stage plan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tanks said:

 

Well, you could use the time to visualize your stage plan. 

 

With that much time you might as well make paintings of it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

 

With that much time you might as well make paintings of it.

 

 

OK, that made me LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2017 at 5:28 PM, tanks said:

 

Well, you could use the time to visualize your stage plan. 

people who aren't brain-damaged can do that *while* resetting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In our sanctioned match, we paste and reset all the stages. All the shooters need to do is concentrate on the stage they're shooting. We also get consistent resets especially for any movers using this method.

 

v/r,

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
They did this at one of the higher level IDPA matches last year, boy scouts I think. I wasn't there, but the report I got back was that it was pretty boring standing around & doing nothing for most of the day. 
Saw this at a USPSA match in TX. The scouts lost interest around the 3rd stage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I like what Ben said about how stages got reset at one of the major IPSC Matches he shot overseas. He explained that you shoot the stage and reset for the next two shooters and that’s all you do for resetting that stage. Then continue this process throughout the match. Everyone resets and everyone gets time to reset, yuck it up or whatever,  it will also make sure each shooter helps to reset. Seems good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be more than willing to pay a few extra bucks to have it pasted and reset. On the other hand its not a whole ton of work as long as everyone works. I've never felt that pasting and resetting has made me tired or made we shoot worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was at a major IDPA match in IL in 2016 that used Boy Scouts. We ended up having to help them, which was fine. I can't handle just standing around, my back stiffens up. Plus pasting and reseting lets you keep looking at the stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2018 at 6:04 PM, a matt said:

 I like what Ben said about how stages got reset at one of the major IPSC Matches he shot overseas. He explained that you shoot the stage and reset for the next two shooters and that’s all you do for resetting that stage. Then continue this process throughout the match. Everyone resets and everyone gets time to reset, yuck it up or whatever,  it will also make sure each shooter helps to reset. Seems good. 

I like this idea.  Not sure why we haven't tried it locally at a club match... maybe this month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I learned over the years, is bring a folding chair. Getting off my feet  as often as possible leaves enough in the tank to keep working after a 10 stage day. The other standing shooters start out resetting like their hair's on fire, but by the end, you can't get them up to paste the closest target. 

I did enjoy the South Carolina Sectional where staff handled reset. Just concentrate on shooting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2016 at 11:24 PM, Jim Norman said:

My understanding is that in many foreign nations shooting like we do in the US is not an everyman sport, but is rather reserved for the upper crust. They pay much more than we do and they hire people to set, rest and pick up brass etc. ...

 

I'd hardly call the crowd I've been shooting with "upper crust", in my corner of Europe anyway.

The usual thing now, here, is that the crew shoots a Pre Match "for free" on Saturday, and then the paying competitors shoot the Main Match on Sunday, with the crew doing the resetting. Results from both days count the same for Match score.

 

Local people usually aren't enough for all the work, so signing up as crew is a public option. Then you are just expected to arrive a day or two early. Organizers will provide a roof over your head and a couple of meals a day..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×