Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LOUD steelmaster

blacklab

I came across a really good deal on a used steelmaster so I bought it. Everything on it is stock, no mods done to it at all. I took it out to the range yesterday and after a few shots I'm not sure I like it. It's really loud. I was only shooting Winchester white box through it but it is way louder then my other 2011open gun. I was wondering if anyone else found steelmaster's to be louder then other guns. Does anyone have a load worked up that might quiet it down, but still let it cycle? I would hate to get rid of it because it does feel nice, but even with my ear plugs in it was still hard on my ears. I don't know if it's because it has a shorter barrel, but I do know it's a little uncomfortable to shoot with the noise.

If you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

MikeRush: It's about as loud as a friends 38 super with popple holes shooting major loads. It's just not real fun to shoot. After 100 rounds I was done for the day with a headache.

Most people tell me to keep my mouth closed anyway. :blush:

Wasn't this gun designed to shoot minor PF for steel challenge targets? You can download some 9mm loads, but will defeat the purpose of the comp. I love my Bedell 9mm major gun. It kinda reminds me of setting off bangalore torpedoes, back in the day. :)

One easy and obvious way to quiet it down would be to load 124's or 147's subsonic. My comp'd Bianchi Open gun in 38SC shoots 147's at 980fps and is not very loud at all. My guess is that WWB is definitely supersonic. Are you shooting inside or out? My other Open guns are concussive inside, but bearable outside.

Edited by RippinSVT

I have a shorty open .38 super with a comp and two popple holes, and it is obnoxiously loud with major loads. As mentioned previously, pugs and muffs are mandatory. Even other open shooters with 9 major guns complain about my gun.

I have a couple of Steel Masters... my "STEEL" load is 5.3gr auto comp using a 124gr PD HP bullet... however its still loud.. I use earplugs and a good pair of electronic muffs I think its the 4.15" barrel & comp that makes it loud..

I've been Looking at some of the electronic ear plugs. Sounds like a good excuse to buy a pair. Any suggestions on witch type? I have a hard time with ear muffs, I feel like Mickey Mouse when I wear them.

• 1 month later...

definitely make sure your muffs are getting a good seal over your ears. i have the pro ears 300 and really like them. also have a pair of the howard leights but they sit on my ears while the pro-ears are wider/taller and go over my ears and are more comfy and more quiet. i have a steelmaster (wwb 115g minor) and just got a sti open gun (38 super) and both are fine with my pro-ears, at least outdoors.

Hmmmm ... I must be deaf ... I don't really notice that it's louder than other guns ... Certainly way quieter than 38 super major PF guns I've been around ...

I may have to take my Shadow out with me tomorrow and compare them to see if I can hear a difference ...