Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have custom ear plugs?

LeviSS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed shooting multiple lvl 2 and Production Nationals last year and there were custom earplug makers at 2. I had a set done at the SC State Championship by Prem-Ear and absolutely love em. If youve never had a quality set you dont know what your missing!!

• 1 month later...

On the advice of my friend i just ordered non electronic defend ear from hearing doc. Prime canidate for hearing aids. Electronics on outside only is the recomended. The non electronic defend ears are molded then coated in a thin softer coating that is easier to install and keeps a better seal than my silicone molded. He advised wearing as thick of a hat as I can stand. They wear helmets on a flight deck to prevent hearing loss from vibration through the skull. I have a strong non stop buzzing in my ears, I hear it over a radio and voices bad. But the best hearing protection you can afford. Defend Ears were 185.00

If you're molding them yourself do it sitting up and put something between your back molars to hold your mouth open while you do it. Don't clench down, just relax with your jaw held open. That way once they cure and you put them in and close your mouth you'll seal around them.

Something about 1/2" tall works. Audiologists use hard foam bite blocks. You drool while you do it but it's worth it.

Good advice. I have had numerous pairs of custom molded plugs done by several companies. The best result was fit/made by EAR, Inc. done in the above manner and also extend a bit further down into the ear canal than others. Comfortable to wear and work great.

My oldest set needs to be recoated, but still works well under external protection when doubling up for anything louder or comp'd.

Think about how many sets of foam plugs you can buy for the price of some of these custom plugs and never have to worry about keeping up with them, etc.

It's like," Oh dang, I can't find my $50-600 left plug. Crap. That's so expensive. What am I going to do? I hope I can find it. What if I can't find it? Wonder if I can get it replaced? How much will that cost?..."

OR

Looks like I misplaced one of those foamies between stages, guess I need to grab a new one from my bucket of 100 that cost $10. Roll on...

Often, the foam plugs, when used properly, have a higher NRR than even the best silicone customs...

I had custom silicons made about two year ago. I got ear canal infection, and couldn't use them for over year, before the infection was properly cured. I think? infection came from molding???? Still use muffs over them (open gun).

- Kapa -

I had custom silicons made about two year ago. I got ear canal infection, and couldn't use them for over year, before the infection was properly cured. I think? infection came from molding???? Still use muffs over them (open gun).

- Kapa -

Infection from plugs? Yes, they can harbor bacteria. Give them a good wash... at least after every other use and avoid problems.

Good custom molded plugs are very very comfortable to wear, especially for long stretches, but do require regular cleaning.

I have a pair. They are okay but not great. Pros are they are easy to do and cheap. Cons are the conch is hard and if I roll my head over for rifle they pop a little and sound seems to come around. They are comfortable and work well for pistol. They are slightly more comfortable than foams for me, but I do not think they perform better.

I have 2 pairs of insta molds myself . I have a pair of the acoustic filtered plugs for outdoor pistol shooting and I just throw on my pro ears over them if I'm indoors , as well as a pair of the ear bud plugs since I've been a trapshooter for many years . You get bored out there on a trap pad staring at trees or open fields lol .

What's the benefit though when I haven't seen a single pair of custom made plugs with a NRR greater than one gets from foamies? And then with soo many replies of folks saying they put electronic or passive muffs over them as well in certain situations. I just don't see it...

What's the benefit though when I haven't seen a single pair of custom made plugs with a NRR greater than one gets from foamies? And then with soo many replies of folks saying they put electronic or passive muffs over them as well in certain situations. I just don't see it...

That's exactly where I'm at on this one.

I think once you get used to the foamies (and learn to put them in right), you just forget they're there.

The one thing I hate about foam plugs is I've put them in too far twice now, and had genuine issues getting them out. I now have tweezers in my range bag.

I have tried 4 different brands with zero success. They form great the first time and then when you put them back in, they never fit the same again. I believe it also has to do with the shape of your inner ear. Works for most but not all.

I now use the surefire plugs with the foam insert.

I've had similar experiences with the self-molding versions. The Surefire plugs with the foam inserts have great sound attenuation and you can wear them all day at the range

I think once you get used to the foamies (and learn to put them in right), you just forget they're there.

The one thing I hate about foam plugs is I've put them in too far twice now, and had genuine issues getting them out. I now have tweezers in my range bag.

that's why the Surefire are good you can't put them in too far.