Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have custom ear plugs?

LeviSS

I'm thinking about getting a set of custom ear plugs made. I like that fact that they would be fitted to my ear, fill most of the lobe, and offer higher nrr protection than standard plugs.

I bought the radians do-it-yourself custom molded ear plugs. I haven't tried them yet, but will soon.

I was also thinking about going to a professional, an audiologis,t and getting some made. I'm not sure if the cost, but looks like it would be about $100 or so.

I'm just looking for opinions and wanted to hear your experiences with custom plugs.

Edited by LeviSS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried 4 different brands with zero success. They form great the first time and then when you put them back in, they never fit the same again. I believe it also has to do with the shape of your inner ear. Works for most but not all.

I now use the surefire plugs with the foam insert.

I have a set of the custom molded plugs and they're great. You can get them for around $50 at gun shows or some major matches. I was previously using the Surefire plugs which work well, but I like these a lot more.

I've had them about a year and one of the ears is starting to feel a bit loose. The vendor I bought them from said they will recoat them for free if/when this happens, maybe I'll contact them, but they do still work fine now.

I have a set of lab cured silicone molded plugs and a set of electronic in-ear custom molded plugs.

I will never wear any plugs that aren't molded to my ear again. They are more comfortable, will not fall out and have better noise reduction than some other hearing protection.

You could get a set of molds done at an audiologist and then send those moods to Ear-Inc and they will make you a set that are smaller than ones made at gun shows and provide a better seal. The ones made at guns shows are generally more rigid. Ear-Inc takes those hard plugs to make the actual plugs out of a much softer silicone, this makes them more comfortable than the ones that you will find at gun shows and as mentioned, also provides a better seal.

If you're molding them yourself do it sitting up and put something between your back molars to hold your mouth open while you do it. Don't clench down, just relax with your jaw held open. That way once they cure and you put them in and close your mouth you'll seal around them.

Something about 1/2" tall works. Audiologists use hard foam bite blocks. You drool while you do it but it's worth it.

I have a set of lab cured silicone molded plugs and a set of electronic in-ear custom molded plugs.

I will never wear any plugs that aren't molded to my ear again. They are more comfortable, will not fall out and have better noise reduction than some other hearing protection.

Do you mind if I ask what the cost was?

Wherever you get the plugs made, make sure they use Ear Inc Insta-Mold silicone. It is by far the best. The factory where the Insta-Mold is made is quite near us, so he will go to gun clubs over the weekend if there are a dozen or so shooters who want plugs made. If you don't need them immediately, and large shotgun shoot, such as regional or state championships will have several vendors that make plugs. All of mine cost between $45 and $50/pair. They last a really long time. Used three times a week, I get at least 18 months out of them, and usually 2+ years.

Getting them molded in your ear canal is the best and gives the highest NRR. Make sure you clean your ears before you go. Pour Hydrogen Peroxide in one ear, cover with a cotton ball and lay on your side for 15 minutes. This will soften the ear wax. You can try flushing it out with warm water, but gentle wiping with a q-tip works better for me. Chances are there will be a plug down there and you want to get it out. Then repeat with the other ear.

When you get them made in your ear, it takes a little while to cure enough so they can be removed and trimmed. Then it takes more time to fully cure and be coated. Figure 30-40 minutes until you leave with them. Also, make sure you get shown how to properly insert them.

I have a set of Extreme Sport Ears coming from Axil Pro ... I went to an ENT and had impressions made ($50) & then send them off to Axil Pro who will make the actual devices ... And you don't want to know the cost ... :)

I have these http://hear-pro.com/shop/pro37/

Had the moulds done locally at an audiologist. Tried the electronic version from another major player and found the attenuation inadequate when ROing open shooters.

These work great for solo practice, for matches, rifles and ROing I still default to foam plugs under electronic muffs.

Do you mind if I ask what the cost was?

I got the silicone plugs from hear pro. Got molded at a match and had them mailed to me. They have the little tubes with plugs in them like surefire plugs have and are 3 colors swirled. I paid something like $175. I forget exactly. Got them 3 or 4 years ago. Super comfortable and I like them but missed being able to hear conversation like I could with electronic muffs.

My electronics are the Ear Inc DMM-plus. They sell for $2100. I paid $70 for impressions at a local audiologist and mailed them to ear inc. They have cheaper models too. I got waterproof ones so I could wear them duck hunting. They took a bit of getting used to but I like them a lot. The ear Inc people were very helpful by phone and email before and after the sale. I highly recommend them. They are hard acrylic which is slightly less comfortable than silicone but after a few minutes you forget they are in your ears.

I should add that the silicone plugs attenuate sound better. The electronics are hollow to house the electronics so they don't block the noise as well. Both are fine for outdoor shooting. Indoors both are OK when I shoot limited but if I am scoring for open guns I put muffs over both types.

I would also suggest looking at Hear-Pro. I have the passive Pro37's and electronic Amp37's. Both are awesome and incredibly comfortable.

I would also echo the suggestion to have a competent professional do your impressions. That is the VERY most important step in getting a set of custom plugs.

• 2 weeks later...

My old machine shop used to pay to get custom molded earplugs at a ENT office, would go in they fill ur ears than send of the castings and a silicone mold would come back a few weeks later .. They work amazing and are perfectly fitted to your ear they don't ever fall out and can wear them all day confortably

Be careful with the custom electronic plugs. As others have said, they're not enough when RO'ing Open shooters. I've got ringing in my left ear that's been going on for the past week after getting abused by a particularly loud Infinity gun. Despite the large investment I made in them, I'm going back to foam plugs under electronic muffs in the future. Not worth risking further damage.

I have a pair of Westone Defend Ear Digital 2s that I've had for several years now after being fitted and buying them through an audiologist and I like them quite a bit. I had to send them back for service at one point because there was an issue with one of them. I sent both back just in case they needed both and I'm pretty sure they sent me a pair of new devices. Quickly. So I'm pretty happy with their customer service.

Since I bought them, Westone apparently decided to enter the non-custom market on the lower price point and they now have a $500 "Digital Shooter" product.

They're usually fine for outdoor matches on their own, but if I'm shooting or photographing a squad that has an Open shooter who bought he blaster directly something out of Norse mythology (Steve Thomas, I'm so looking at you.) or I'm shooting in an enclosed area like The Wyoming Antelope Club or an indoor range, I'll throw a pair of ProEars on top of them and I'm good to go.

When I shoot, I take off my muffs and just run with my Defend Ears since my 1911 isn't particularly loud.

I had some custom ear plugs made at the Georgia match last year and I really like them. I'd recommend them for the comfort if nothing else. I tried the do it yourself ones before this and never liked them at all.