Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sellier and Bellot Primers?

kfin

I have always used either Federal or Winchester large pistol primers. In looking online I can find Winchester and some places have Federal but I can find the Sellier and Bellot primers several places. They are almost 30% less. What is the general verdict on them? Never used them and am not against trying something new if it can save a few bucks. If ordering several it would add up. I shoot 9mm some and mostly 45 acp....no matches as I can't shoot with you guys but do alright punching paper in the yard.

I have been using S&B primers for a while now, probably shot close to 5k of them, ordered about 16k more from cabelas as they have been priced very good there.

I have had no problems at all shooting in some very lightly sprung guns. My CZ P09 has no problem setting them off and I'm using an 11.5lb hammer spring in it, stock is 20lbs to give you a reference point.

Seat them properly and they will go bang every time.

Over the past week I have loaded up about 1500 rds using S&B primers. Cabelas is local to me so 18.99 per 1000 is very appealing. The primers loaded nice, much better than Winchesters, about the same as CCI. Slipped in without much effort. Winchesters have always loaded rough for me (I think they are out of round). I have not shot any, just building up winter stock., but they feel pretty soft when seating. I run 19lb, springs in my Paras and stock springs in the M&P's. I never have problems lighting off primers. Based on reloading I would recommend them. Tomorrow I will be heading to Cabelas to pick up another couple of cases.

They show as 24.99 online at Cabelas. Are they cheaper in the stores? Or is your store having a sale on them? I love about 2 hours from the Kansas City store. I would drive up there is they were under 20.

Edited by kfin

They show as 24.99 online at Cabelas. Are they cheaper in the stores? Or is your store having a sale on them? I love about 2 hours from the Kansas City store. I would drive up there is they were under 20.

Just look for sales. The best lately was $17.99.

I bought and used 1000 of these S&B primers from my local powder supplier. I had no problem with these in Glock 17 and 43, two different CZ 75 Shadow customs from CZC, or in a JP 9mm PCC. They also fed as well in my vibra prime as CCI and Federal primers.

Nevertheless, they bothered me. The reason is that they make a primer for all purposes. There are no pistol, magnum pistol, rifle and so forth, just small and large. Either that isn't reasonable or all of us have been scammed into believing a myth. I am told these various types of primers have different hardnesses and different levels of heat.

At least for now, I am going to use the historical types and assume a general primer isn't optimum for any use.

They did work for me though

Edited by Brooke

CZS and 1911 started running S&B and after 6k no problems with very lightly sprung guns.

Federal and S&B will be the only primers that I will buy. I have tried cci, feds, tula, wolf and win.

They go bang, are smooth through the press combined with price and availability my new primer.

Please keep shooting the other brands and leave the S&Bs to ME.

Bought 5K at $18. They are not CCI in quality but they run fine in my Glocks (OEM springs). A little harder to seat and they are also harder to pickup in the tubes because the bottoms are flat. I wouldn't use them at the same price as CCI.

They suck, the shop bought 100k of them when there was a primer shortage! If you have stock gun they run fine but non of the gun with a nice trigger job would run them..

This is untrue. My custom 2011 has a very nice trigger and is having no issues eating these primers.

As someone already posted... I run these for local matches and use my CCI for major matches.

I bought and used 1000 of these S&B primers from my local powder supplier. I had no problem with these in Glock 17 and 43, two different CZ 75 Shadow customs from CZC, or in a JP 9mm PCC. They also fed as well in my vibra prime as CCI and Federal primers.

Nevertheless, they bothered me. The reason is that they make a primer for all purposes. There are no pistol, magnum pistol, rifle and so forth, just small and large. Either that isn't reasonable or all of us have been scammed into believing a myth. I am told these various types of primers have different hardnesses and different levels of heat.

At least for now, I am going to use the historical types and assume a general primer isn't optimum for any use.

Hmm... The store here has small pistol and small rifle? They are poorly labeled for sure. A buddy picked up a box of small rifle by mistake when he bought small pistol

I have a bunch of these and they seem to run fine. I shot 10k or more thru an M&P with stock springs with no issue. And I've now show another 3-4K thru CZ with 11.5lbs hammer spring and they still go boom. If I can't get federal at decent prices id have zero problem buying more s&b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They suck, the shop bought 100k of them when there was a primer shortage! If you have stock gun they run fine but non of the gun with a nice trigger job would run them..

This is untrue. My custom 2011 has a very nice trigger and is having no issues eating these primers.

As someone already posted... I run these for local matches and use my CCI for major matches.

I had problems in my Cameron custom. I have to take special care to deeply seat every primer on my 650 to fix the problem. I will not buy them again. Edited by sbo76

Hmm... The store here has small pistol and small rifle? They are poorly labeled for sure. A buddy picked up a box of small rifle by mistake when he bought small pistol

They are poorly marked, but they do have both rifle and pistol primers in both sizes. Just have to look for the SP/SR on the box. I will try to snap a picture.

And I had tried a few thousand last time I saw them on sale at Cabela's for 19.99 in store, so when they just went on sale for 17.99 with free shipping I picked up 12 more.

::ETA:: Upon further review, these aren't even poorly marked. I originally thought they were, but that seems pretty clear to me.

92ea14effe7de8de33cee8e4bba6f191.jpg

ff225eaffebfc04ac89b5d4124d1f557.jpg

ff4f4050222b9b75e2ada82a8ea82d79.jpg

Edited by Gooldylocks

If you're in Metric land the 4,4 is for 4.4mm diameter primer pockets, if I remember correctly.

I use the hell out of them in my 1911, 2011, and striker fired guns. It's possible that a striker fired gun will not set them off, but that generally means your striker spring is weaker than stock, and you, like the revolver and CZ/Tanfo guys, are now in Federal primer land.

For the record, these are not appropriate for competition revolvers, either.

I had problems in my Cameron custom. I have to take special care to deeply seat every primer on my 650 to fix the problem. I will not buy them again.

While that demonstrates that some guns will run them while others won't, that doesn't mean that any gun with a decent trigger job can't run them.

Tactical Sport with sub 2 lb trigger, 75b, sp01 sub 2 lb single action, sti 1911 2 lb trigger all have no problems with S&B and they will have occasional ftf with cci, tula and wolf.

Most 2011 guys think my ts trigger is to light.