Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Edge or Eagle

Pat B.

I'm a new USPSA shooter having only shot two matches with a Glock 22..

I think I'd like to find a home in the Limited class but would probably enjoy shooting single stack from time to time..

At any rate, I'm looking at the STI Eagle and Edge to use in Limited class.. Which of these two has the larger following and why?

I am wondering if the extra 5 or so ounces of the Edge is a help or if it just slows the shooter down in making transitions...

Which caliber, 9 major or .40 ??

Sure appreciate any help and advice..

Edited by Pat B.

I love my Edge in 40. I have shot Eagles, and they feel, to me, like a single stack in 40. Sharper recoil and not as quick back on target.

It is definitely the more common model of the 2 you asked about.

If you want to shoot Limited, and a steel gun, sholt 40 for Major. It's hard enough to score points at speed without giving up extra points for Minor.

I shot Single Stack my first year of USPSA. It forced me to breakdown stages correctly, and I reloaded a lot. A ton, really, all the time. I think it forced me to learn more about the game instead of finding a sweet spot and hosing 20 rounds.

It wasn't that painfuk, but I considered it part of paying my dues to the sport.

For USPSA limited, 40 cal will allow you to shoot major power factor, and is what you will see most limited shooters running.

From my time in the sport, most 2011 shooters use an "Edge" type setup, a long dust cover and bull barrel, the added weight helps to manage the recoil.

With the Eagle you can get either a bull or bushing barrel I believe. The Bushing barrel would allow you to also shoot IDPA if you ever wanted to.

I would suggest seeking out a couple of the local guys in your area shooting 2011s and ask them about their guns, what they like and dislike about them. If they are anything like the guys here, they'll allow you to handle/fondle them at the safe table to get a feel for them.

From what I know if you're interested in limited 9mm vs 40 is a major vs minor issue. 9mm major is no benefit in limited as its still minor in limited. To make major in limited you need at least 40 caliber. As for eagle vs edge it depends on what you plan to shoot. If you're staying in USPSA then the edge with more weight in the frame up front would probably be better. If you think you may shoot IDPA then the eagle is legal with a bushing barrel and the edge with the bull barrel is not.

So an Eagle 40 with a bushing would be good for both, especially if you reload. Down load the 40 for IDPA and get to 165 PF for limited major.

Edited by shotgunone

I use a short dust cover gun in 40 for limited. I have shot and compaired just about any combination of frame styles, barrels, heavy magwells, steel and plastic grips. Fact is that whatever you choose, you will get used to the recoil and feel of the gun and it won't matter after that. For me, I base my decisions more on reliability (not an issue here) and looks. I also run a metal grip because I think it balances the gun making easier gun handling.

Edited by GeorgeD

Fortunately I'm not on a budget for this project..

Is there another pistol I should consider for limited ?

An Edge "type" pistol in .40 would be your best bet. Basically - a long dust cover bull barreled 2011. If buying a stock STI I'd say to look at the DVC Limited or Apeiro if you can. Both are somewhat better than the Edge though both can be a bit harder to find in stock.

There are custom builts out there that would be the absolute best choice but many good smiths have a waitlist.

Edited by MGMorden

just to add to above, in uspsa Limited division, even if a caliber makes major power factor, it doesn't count as major unless the bullet is .40 or larger.

edge is a very popular gun in Limited, but if you do want the option to shoot idpa with the same gun, the eagle work work well in both games, especially if you can make or buy minor power factor ammo for idpa.

you can also check out ck arms. from what i understand, a little more personal touch (ie fitting and testing) than the sti guns albeit at a higher cost. fwiw i've had a brazos hp edge for two years now with zero issues and my glock 35 hasn't left the safe since.

CK Arms Thunder or STI DVC... The DVC is just an Edge that is factory "hot rodded" for USPSA Limited.

http://stiguns.com/guns/dvc-limited/

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/CK-Arms-Thunder-Limited-Gun-40-SW-BLACKOUT-P3924.aspx

Or full custom

Freedom Gunworks

http://freedomgunworks.com

Oh and for USPSA forget about 9mm, get a .40

Edited by Chutist

I just bought a DVC Limited in .40 a few months ago and this is a great way to go. it is a dressed up EDGE with a lot of factory mods. Lighted slide, lighted frame, 2 lb trigger, hard chrome finish, Extreme Shooters grip. Awesome gun!

I was in your boat, but am so new to USPSA that I've never shot nor seen a match. There's a local club that has an indoor range that I may go check out.

It was a toss up for me between the Eagle and a DVC Limited, but I was in favor of 9mm because I'm a 3gunner. In the ended up with an STI Hex Tac and will echo what everyone has already shared - guys really love the their .40 Edge pistols.

I would recommend you get the .40 Cal STI EDGE for USPSA's Limited Divisions. The extra weight will help you manage the muscle flip for a faster follow-up shots. Some would say it's harder for transition (from one target to another) due to extra weight. However, you can actually adjust with the transition by devoting some dry fire time and make sure you practice before a major match. The 9mm Eagle with bushing barrel is recommended if you compete with a minor power factor in IDPA (10 rounds), 3Gun & USPSA (more rounds in magazine).