Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy is coming...

MilkMyDuds

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd bet that this grouping is from their gunsmith installed barrel and from working on the slide to barrel fitment. Wonder how much work the gunsmith has to do to get this improvement and how well their semi-drop-in barrel performs? Have to watch this one!

For USPSA/IDPA, I would be more than happy to get <2'' grouping @25 yards with the semi drop-in. I currently have a Bar-Sto match target barrel fitted to my slide by BarSto. Yes it can do 2'' @25 yards, but it is very expensive, about the same cost as a brand new MP9 Pro 5'' gun. Bar-Sto also sells a drop-in version that does not require gunsmith fitting but I doubt it could do 2'' @25 yards. APEX appears to be on track filling this sweet spot of "highly accurate drop-in" (does such thing really exist?), provided it does not cost more than the pistol itself...

"highly accurate drop-in" (does such thing really exist?), provided it does not cost more than the pistol itself...

Companies can say what they want, but not really. You're only going to get marginal accuracy increase over a factory barrel with a 100% drop in barrel that requires no fitment. The fitment is where you get the increase in accuracy, so you can't expect much over factory out of something that won't require any. My point is they can't get tolerances much tighter than factory barrel in order to guarantee that it is 100% drop in in any gun. Edited by bruceg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very curious to see how it works for us common folk who buy one hoping to increase the accuracy of one of our favorite platforms. I'd be interested in a 40S&W if they decide to add that to the mix.

The brownell's link shows 2 versions, a gunsmith fit and a drop in that may need slight filing of the front locking face.

Also interested, but will certainly wait for reviews since its so damn expensive :(

After spending $500 on the BarSto gunsmith fitted barrel, I think the APEX drop-in is a steal, provided it's as good as they claim to be. I think the drop-in is not truly a "drop-in" like KKM or StormLake, but requires some simple fitting by yourself.

How hard is it to install the Semi Drop-In?

Easier than you think. Randy has done a step-by-step video walking you though the fitting process. That video is being edited now but you can find the instructions on our blog. It's also outlined in the barrel packaging...but be sure to watch the video.

Brownells now shows both drop in and gunsmith barrels in both 4.25" and 5"in stock

Unless you have a coupon or some special discounts at Brownells, I don't see the reason why ordering there, while APEX sells all of these at the same cost and ships the same day: https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Category?categoryId=54

My story with Brownells:

I pre-ordered from Brownells on 12/3 last Thursday. I was told Brownells will ship when the barrel is released this Monday. As of today, 12/12, I still don't have the barrel. They delayed the shipping for 5 days. APEX called them and looks like Brownells was too busy to ship these out until we called them a few time. People ordered from APEX directly already got the barrels.