Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy is coming...

MilkMyDuds

I asked our guys to reconfigure the feed ramp, as I was measuring some inconsistency in some of the barrels. Our ramp is steeper than factory due to the change in dwell time (which accounts in part for our acuracy).

The next production run will have the clearance cut for loaded rounds, and a gentler angle on the ramp. Most guns seemed to run fine, but I have seen about 10 reports back that some guns were not feeding properly.

Can we send in these early production barrels for a relief cut?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes. Just call our office and tell them that your barrel is not allowing the loaded rounds to eject. They will set up a work order so that once the barrel arrives it will be routed to the shop for machining.
Thanks Randy. I will do that early next week so I can get some group data this weekend.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just received my new 9L ported performance center M&P. Also I outfitted the New Apex Grade Semi-Drop in bbl and a Leupold delta point as well as a set of Dawson Irons. All I can say about the Apex barrel is WOW!!! I all but gave up on having an M&P that would be a tack driver. I had three previous to this one but figured after reading this thread I would take a chance. The barrel was TIGHT. It needed (much to my delight) a lot more fitting than I thought it would. I fit it up as directed till it just took a little persuading to get in then took it to the polisher. Best way I can describe the fit is "perfect". All ammo I tried, 7 different factory loads and 2 hand loads all chambered fine (passed the plunk test). My hand loads are not loaded long, and a couple of the factory loads (both 147) you could just feel the lands when turning the cartridge. All fired with out a hiccup, as well as ejected live rounds just fine. The only accuracy testing I did was with my 115gr hand load that was my old 3-gun load for my XDM. 5 rounds into just over an inch at 25 yds supported on an old pickle barrel. I would love to see what this thing can do in a ransom. Shooting at 6x6 falling steel from 20 yds was boringly easy. My 16 year old daughter got home just in time for her to try it and an optic sighted pistol for the first time. her smile matched mine..........I love this M&P Apex combo.

post-6767-0-29773300-1456866901_thumb.jppost-6767-0-37630100-1456866933_thumb.jp

What recoil springs are everyone running with these? I noticed in their fitting video that apex recommend the stock recoil spring. Is anyone running this barrel with either a 13 or 15 lb spring?

I am running a 13 lb. spring in my 5" pro series, and haven't had any issues. I only have about 100 rounds through it though.

Just dug out some variety of ammo and did some accuracy and comparison testing. I found an old accuracy testing target from an old M&P 4.25 with the original 1/18 twist. I used that as a benchmark to compare with my newer 4.25 1/10 twist and my brand new performance center 9L with both the factory and the Apex barrel.

post-6767-0-58443700-1457294323_thumb.jppost-6767-0-32454000-1457294363_thumb.jp

post-6767-0-04923200-1457294404_thumb.jppost-6767-0-19634500-1457294635_thumb.jp

What recoil springs are everyone running with these? I noticed in their fitting video that apex recommend the stock recoil spring. Is anyone running this barrel with either a 13 or 15 lb spring?

I am running mine with a 13lb recoil spring.

FWIW, found out the hard way, that the fitting instructions for the front end of the barrel, in the video, PDF and in the packaging, are wrong.

If muzzle does not enter hole in slide, CORRECT area to file is the upper raised pad, from 10 to 2 o'clock, not the non existing fitting pads described.

Not sure when change in barrel shape occurred, but current barrels have a redesigned muzzle fitting area, compared to original, while breech end is unchanged.

Hopefully new instructions will be disseminated soon, before more unnecessary filing occurs :sick:

Mark

FWIW, found out the hard way, that the fitting instructions for the front end of the barrel, in the video, PDF and in the packaging, are wrong.

If muzzle does not enter hole in slide, CORRECT area to file is the upper raised pad, from 10 to 2 o'clock, not the non existing fitting pads described.

Not sure when change in barrel shape occurred, but current barrels have a redesigned muzzle fitting area, compared to original, while breech end is unchanged.

Hopefully new instructions will be disseminated soon, before more unnecessary filing occurs :sick:

Mark

This could be an interesting discussion. :surprise:

Mark

Did you contact APEX about this?

Hi all,

To clarify, we've been seeing a wide tolerance range on how the slides are bored at the front end. There are 2 cuts- one for the lock up angle, and one for the removal of the barrel. Unfortunately we are seeing oversized bores, undersized bores, lock up cuts that are offset left, right, too high, too low, etc.

As a result, we are having to make changes on the fly not only to the barrel, but how the barrel is fitted at the front end.

As Mark pointed out, some slides will need dressing at differnt locations. If you encounter difficulty fitting the barrel into the slide, please contact us so that we can determine what areas need to be dressed as it may not be in the area where Mark had to file.

-Randy

I asked our guys to reconfigure the feed ramp, as I was measuring some inconsistency in some of the barrels. Our ramp is steeper than factory due to the change in dwell time (which accounts in part for our acuracy).

The next production run will have the clearance cut for loaded rounds, and a gentler angle on the ramp. Most guns seemed to run fine, but I have seen about 10 reports back that some guns were not feeding properly.

Randy, the barrel I ordered this morning from Brownells (with 2-day shipping! Do want!!!)... will it have the cutout and modified ramp, or did they have a considerable number of the older ones on hand? I wonder how long they're keeping these in inventory before they move out.

My gun is one of the earliest 9L's made which surely has a 1:18 twist, so I've been avoiding 147s thus far and I'm excited at this barrel's potential. I plan to fit it when tracking says it will arrive, on Thursday and shoot a few photos of the groups I manage with it in on Saturday morning - I'll run a few mags through it early that morning, then shoot an IPDA match with it.

If the front end of my 9L's slide needs fitting, I'll hold off on that and contact you Friday morning, I suppose, given the issues the guys above were having.

Unless you can describe right now where I'm going to need to remove material on whichever design of barrel that Brownell's is sending me, I'll plan to hold off and call you Friday morning if the muzzle of the barrel doesn't slip in without fitting, just in case the design I receive is different from your YouTube video.

This gun has been cerakoted so I already anticipate needing to remove the coating in all of the places where the barrel is fit to the slide BEFORE beginning to remove material from the barrel, as well.

Also - any suggestions for a recommended OAL for a bullet like the flat-nose 125gr I usually shoot?

1449595730937-1133333419.jpeg

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Randy, the barrel I ordered this morning from Brownells (with 2-day shipping! Do want!!!)... will it have the cutout and modified ramp, or did they have a considerable number of the older ones on hand? I wonder how long they're keeping these in inventory before they move out.

My gun is one of the earliest 9L's made which surely has a 1:18 twist, so I've been avoiding 147s thus far and I'm excited at this barrel's potential. I plan to fit it when tracking says it will arrive, on Thursday and shoot a few photos of the groups I manage with it in on Saturday morning - I'll run a few mags through it early that morning, then shoot an IPDA match with it.

If the front end of my 9L's slide needs fitting, I'll hold off on that and contact you Friday morning, I suppose, given the issues the guys above were having.

Unless you can describe right now where I'm going to need to remove material on whichever design of barrel that Brownell's is sending me, I'll plan to hold off and call you Friday morning if the muzzle of the barrel doesn't slip in without fitting, just in case the design I receive is different from your YouTube video.

This gun has been cerakoted so I already anticipate needing to remove the coating in all of the places where the barrel is fit to the slide BEFORE beginning to remove material from the barrel, as well.

Also - any suggestions for a recommended OAL for a bullet like the flat-nose 125gr I usually shoot?

Brownells should have at least some of the updated barrels. I know that an order went out a couple of weeks ago. If yours doesn't, you can send it in to us before you begin the fitting process, and we can machine in the mods.

Our current barrels should handle an overall length of 1.142", assuming the bullet is .355 diameter.

-Randy

Brownells should have at least some of the updated barrels. I know that an order went out a couple of weeks ago. If yours doesn't, you can send it in to us before you begin the fitting process, and we can machine in the mods.

Our current barrels should handle an overall length of 1.142", assuming the bullet is .355 diameter.

-Randy

Randy what is the turn around time to have this done?

-Randy

If the barrel is untouched, it usually takes us about a day, since the fixtures are set up for the unaltered locking lug dimensions and can be inserted into the production run.

-Randy

If the barrel is untouched, it usually takes us about a day, since the fixtures are set up for the unaltered locking lug dimensions and can be inserted into the production run.
And if already fit?

Randy, if mine was shipped directly from Apex on Feb 1, I'm assuming it would not have had these changes. Can you confirm?

I feel mine has been fit to the firearm correctly but I am having feeding issues upon initial test with my reloads, Montana Gold 124g JHP loaded at 1.060". These feed in everything else I own (oem and aftermarket barrels). I have not had time to go out and test again with additional ammo.

Randy,

Can you chime in on the answers to the questions that I asked, and he quoted when you replied to him? I think you missed them. Primarily I'm looking to see whether or not the barrel that arrived today (left Brownells on Tuesday) might be one with your newer cutout and feed ramp.

Edit: It has since arrived and been installed, and it was indeed the newest version. See installation review on next page.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

-Randy

Seems short to me, I normally load to 1.165, not sure if I'd want to load that short in 9 Major.