Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy is coming...

MilkMyDuds

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a guy on the Smith-Wesson forum that fitted a gunsmith fit barrel himself. Had a chance to shoot it and did see some improvement. I believe he got less than 2" groups at 25 yds off a rest. He mentioned using iron sights, being about 70yrs old and that having an impact on the results. He mentioned someone with better eyesight using more precision sights than the FO he was using would probably get even better results. He was also shooting factory ammo.

I would imagine a little ammo development, a precision red dot sight, and a steady hand should result in some pretty dang good groups.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/451019-accuracy-coming-apex-m-p-barrels.html

It's a long thread but Randy Lee, Apex engineer (and owner I believe) chimes in quite bit on the faults of the 9mm in the 4" and 5" barrels.

Mine is a bit tighter than some of them out there so I don't plan on spending the $200.

Went out and shot the new APEX semi-drop-in barrel today, side by side with the gunsmith fitted BarSto barrel.

The result? They perform about the same for me. At 25 yards, average 5-shot group size are both 2-3 inches, standing off hands. I don't have a Ransom rest, and don't want to use bags as the sports I participate never shoot from bags. So this will do for me.

I am quite happy with the APEX SDI barrel. It costs me $200 and performs as well as the $500 BarSto gunsmith fitted one. The accuracy with my handloads are above what I expect for my applications - USPSA and IDPA.

Below are the 2 APEX groups I shot today. The first group is 1.9 inches slightly above POA, and second 2.8 inches after I adjusted the sight a bit. I am not good at shooting groups so bear that in mind.

I don't bother posting result form the KKM drop-in I got, because it was doing 5 inches @ 25 yards the whole time and has been sitting on my backup dry fire gun the whole time.

The interesting common trait of both APEX SDI and BarSto gunsmith fitted barrel is that they both fit not only to the slide but also to the frame, unlike factory or KKM drop-in barrel. After gently releasing the slide forward, you need to apply 1-2 lbs of force from the rear in order to make the gun go into full battery. Fired 300 rounds today and 0 malfunctions.

The extra bonus with APEX for me is that the 1:10 twist rate has totally eliminated sporadic tumbling bullets for certain headstamp brass when shooting with BarSto barrel. This will be sitting in my match gun going forward.

Superb job, APEX.

My setup - 147gr Bayou coated, N320 loaded with mixed headstamp brass to 130PF.

post-56818-0-26785000-1450817505_thumb.j

post-56818-0-15309300-1450817510_thumb.j

post-56818-0-35845400-1450817514_thumb.j

Was able to try my gunsmith fit barrel for a bit on Friday night. The chamber is much tighter so I did have to shorten my COAL quite a bit, but I think with some additional time and load development it will be well worth it. I also need to swap out my sights to a thinner front as I am still using the stock Pro sights which are a bit too wide for precision shooting out to 25 IMO.

25 yards shooting off hand with 147gr Xtreme over 3.1gr TG loaded to 1.115 OAL.

3186444A-78C9-4924-94FF-096AC32B66E7.jpg

First match last night. Little two stage indoor match. If you know competition shooting, you know Morgan Allen, and you also know second to him is really a win for an average Joe like me.

E0AA83FB-2193-4B60-A7C0-136B07195986.png

Edited by hlpressley

For the life of me I do NOT understand why ANYONE would shoot groups for "accuracy" off hand!!!

You have to be kidding me!

Ben's dot drill is my favorite drill. I guess I like it so much that I often extrapolate it to shoot groups with a par time at 25 yards too. I think timed and unlimited time group shooting are both beneficial if you are training for USPSA and IDPA.

When I shoot groups, it's not about my skill, it's about what my pistol is capable of.

Knowing my pistol shoots accurately, to POINT OF AIM, gives me confidence.

How my pistol groups is the starting point for EVERYTHING ELSE.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/451019-accuracy-coming-apex-m-p-barrels.html

It's a long thread but Randy Lee, Apex engineer (and owner I believe) chimes in quite bit on the faults of the 9mm in the 4" and 5" barrels.

Mine is a bit tighter than some of them out there so I don't plan on spending the $2

Thanks for the link! Excellent info there

Out of curiosity, are you guys using stock recoil springs and guide rods or aftermarket ones like SSS Tungsten with ISMI spring? Apex said they only tested with stock guide rod. I don't use one and don't want to go back to using one. I presume it should work fine, but curious if anyone else has already tried it with good results.

When I shoot groups, it's not about my skill, it's about what my pistol is capable of.

Makes sense, but I dont' have a Ransom rest. Shooting off sand bags is not my cup of tea. I have repeatedly shot better groups off hands than on sand bags. It is probably just me.

I installed a gunsmith 5" barrel in my CORE and also found a very short chamber like hlpressley.

So short that most factory ammo (7 out of 8) wouldn't pass the plunk test.

My rough measurement is .075" from case end to lands, measuring the scratch marks on the bullet to case.

Makes sense, but I dont' have a Ransom rest. Shooting off sand bags is not my cup of tea. I have repeatedly shot better groups off hands than on sand bags. It is probably just me.

It's not just you. I shoot much better groups off hand than off bags.