Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small pistol primers

chetc

The Remington 1 1/2 primers are made for low pressure cartridges and should not be used in high pressure cartridges. The following is printed on the Remington box: “Do not use 1 1/2 small pistol primers in high intensity pistol cartridges such as the 357 magnum, 357 SIG and the 40 S&W. Damage to your firearm and/or personal injury may result.” Their use in these cartridges (and 9mm, 38 Super) can result in pierced primers.

But they are fine for 38 Special, 380, etc. and small primer 45 ACP applications.

I have used Remington 1 1/2 small pistol in 9 mm and .38 spl for many thousand of rounds, no problem. They are fine for 9 mm in my book.

Use the large pistol primer in .45. The Remington primer were the only ones I could find when I started to reload two years ago, and I still like them.

• 3 weeks later...

Started using Bellot small pistol primers from Cabela's and have no problems. No miss fires in over 1500 loads. anyone else have any experiences with these primers. Priced right when on sale $24.99 per 1K.

As has been stated, the rem 1 1/2 primers are not intended for high pressure rounds. I bout them when it was all you could get your hands on a year or so back and have been slowly working through them. I'm afraid to use them with .40 so I only use them for 9mm. They seem to work pretty well, but for my load, a 124 gr coated bullet over 4.0 gr of WST, I am flattening primers, and seeing a bit of primer flow. No full on blow outs though in the 4000 rds I've shot, only a thousand left to go till I get to switch back over to Winchester!

Not sure if it is my stock II, but as I have been chasing my lightened trigger pull I still get occasional failures to ignite with these primers. They are usually in single action, and I get about 1 per hundred rounds. Its certainly annoying but I'm dealing with it for club matches. I'll strike it once in SA, then again in DA then usually just rack in a fresh round. I have actually tried pulling the trigger repeatedly and hitting the primer up to 8 times in DA. It makes a pretty substantial crater, but the primer does not ignite. Not sure if that is a Remington primer thing, or something my gun or I are doing wrong...

The only issue i have with the S&B primers is they dont seem to feed worth a damn in my 550. Great buy from Cabelas but i wont get them again - too much PITA. I have used the Remington with no issues.

Edited by Husker95

Started using Bellot small pistol primers from Cabela's and have no problems. No miss fires in over 1500 loads. anyone else have any experiences with these primers. Priced right when on sale $24.99 per 1K.

On sale now for 21.99 again. Pretty good deal if you need them

Can you use SRP in place of SPP magnums? Since the SRP are for a larger case with more powder would they work with 357 mag. I ran out of the magnum primers for my 357.

You can use srp in place of spp. For major, we use srp because they don't deform as easily. They seal the casing better due to the stronger side walls (supposedly). I have never had a lps using them in my glock with 4lb striker spring, my trubor or my rock 1911. I use them in everything. They are easier to find, burn cleaner imo and run great in my press. I'm a cci guy. Just got 1000 for 30 bucks out the door. Thinking I should have bought everything on the shelf lol