Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Soliciting recommendations on best shotgun barrel length for 3 Gun

Paul49

Newbie to shotgun, about to buy a Stoeger M3000, but with no prior shotgun experience I don't know the pros and cons of various barrel lengths. My local range requires a minimum 24 inch barrel for their shotgun stations. Is there a good reason to go longer than 24 inches? Probably no single best answer, but would appreciate your advice.

• 3 weeks later...

I think 24 is just about perfect, and that's what I use. Some are moving to 26 since it more closely matches the typical 12 round tubes that most people are using now.

26" barrels match up well with 10 round tubes, not 12.

Depends on which gun sometimes but I like the 24 inch length, it gets the job done but if weight is not a huge deal, than go with 26", but availability may be a deciding factor, so if there are a number of weeks different, go with whats in stock.

I've got a 24 inch on one shotgun and I like it. I'm considering getting a particular backup gun, but the only one I can find has a 28 inch barrel and I can't find any shorter barrels. I plan on at least a 10 round exetension. My queston, is it worth the $400 or $500 to get it shortened and re-choked at 24 inches?

I run a 26 with a 12 round tube. The tube sticks out probably 5" or 6" past the barrel. I dont see a point in a short barrel when the tube is way out there. Even if you had a 28" you would be fine and the mag will still extend past the barrel.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Ideally, the barrel would be flush or a little shorter than the mag extension.

Why?

aesthetics mainly, it also keeps the carbon off the mag extension.

I run a 26 with a 12 round tube. The tube sticks out probably 5" or 6" past the barrel. I dont see a point in a short barrel when the tube is way out there. Even if you had a 28" you would be fine and the mag will still extend past the barrel.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear.

I've got a 24 inch on one shotgun and I like it. I'm considering getting a particular backup gun, but the only one I can find has a 28 inch barrel and I can't find any shorter barrels. I plan on at least a 10 round exetension. My queston, is it worth the $400 or $500 to get it shortened and re-choked at 24 inches?

:surprise:

Who, may I ask, gets $400 + for that kind of work?

(my kid's college fund can use that type of pricing)

:surprise:

Who, may I ask, gets $400 + for that kind of work?

(my kid's college fund can use that type of pricing)

It's an quote I got from Americhoke. That was for shortening the barrel, rethreading it for the screw in chokes and removing the rib.

I have had a 26" Benelli M2, 24" Benelli M2, 26" Benelli SuperVinci, and a 26" Browning A5. I sold the SuperVinci because it only ate heavier ammo and I rarely used 3.5" shells anymore. I sold the 26" M2 because I paid to have the bolt lightened and then didn't like how the gun felt when shooting it. I now have the 24" M2 and the 26" A5. I'd argue that I shoot both of them pretty well. In all honesty, I wish I had swapped the NON-lightened bolt carrier from my 24" M2 to my 26" M2 and sold the 24". I prefer the feel of the 26" gun and I seemed a smidge faster with it. I managed to win several all shotgun stages with that 26" M2 and never felt held back by it. My 26" A5 seems to be serving me well right now too.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the tube to be longer then my barrel so when I dump the thing in barrels and the extended chokes and the front sight are not the things taking the impact.

Powder residue on the tube and aesthetics be damned, I'm not marrying the thing and taking it the my high-school reunion as a trophy wife, I'm just banging it around, leaving it wet, dropping it like a used burger wrapper and smacking it against things.

24" for me.

Edited by Vlad

I like the tube to be longer then my barrel so when I dump the thing in barrels and the extended chokes and the front sight are not the things taking the impact.

Powder residue on the tube and aesthetics be damned, I'm not marrying the thing and taking it the my high-school reunion as a trophy wife, I'm just banging it around, leaving it wet, dropping it like a used burger wrapper and smacking it against things.

24" for me.

For some reason want to go shower after that post.?

Newbie to shotgun, about to buy a Stoeger M3000, but with no prior shotgun experience I don't know the pros and cons of various barrel lengths. My local range requires a minimum 24 inch barrel for their shotgun stations. Is there a good reason to go longer than 24 inches? Probably no single best answer, but would appreciate your advice.

Here is a stoeger with 12 round tube and 28" barrel FYI

66434c2aca76a8d28dbf07c0c1e6a451.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk