Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which scope for should I choose?

jeremy kemlo

Been shooting pistols for years but I am new to 3 gun. I was looking at the mtac 1-4, primary arms 1-6 or the strike eagle1-6- whenever that will be available.

We have one stage that shoots 10" plates out to 300-340 yards at every match.

The other stages are in the bays and go up to 50 yards.

All three of those will give you the ability (but not the skill) to hit targets at that range. See if you can find folks in your area that have those scopes and look through them. In 3 gun skill is more important than equipment. Good luck on your journey.

Doug

Personally I'd go for a 6x as well, shooting 340 yards on a 10" plate I know I'd prefer 6 over 4x magnification, assuming the glass is good enough to use it and eye relief doesn't go out the window. I've never looked through any primary arms optics, but have used quite a few Vortex models with overall good results for the price. Not sure if it's in your price range but Burris has some decent 1-6x models as well.

I have shot multi gun (with DougH above) and did quite well with a 1-4 Trijicon. I've since upgraded to a 1-6 razor hd. Yes expensive, yes heavy. Both trade offs. The new Strike Eagle looks promising, and I will get one for my wife as soon as they are in stock.

Get what you can afford, but get one with an excellent warranty. You will dump it in a bucket, or worse, make sure the warranty covers it. Is why I went Vortex.

I have a Strike Eagle and wouldn't do it again. $300 is just not going to cut it. The more time I spend behind the Strike Eagle the more it shows its a $300 scope or trying to be a scope. If you have ever owned great glass I dont think you will be happy. I should have put the money toward another Vortex Gen II 1-6 but for some reason I was trying to be cheap and got caught in the hype that it was somehow going to be magic. Kicking myself cause I really do know better.

I'll preface and say that I don't know a thing.....I'm another new to 3-Gun transitioning from USPSA.

I did however borrow multiple friends rifle's over the past few months, and they all had the Leupold Mark 6, so I was afraid that was going to spoil me, and no matter what I did buy I was going to be unhappy with it. I picked up the Strike Eagle, largely because of the price point. I knew it wasn't going to be Mark 6 quality, so I was prepared to be disappointed. Today was the first day we took the rifle out, zeroed it, chronographed it, and then went to the long distance range. My wife was very comfortable going out to 400 yards, and when she took it to 600, she got hits, again, novice (less than 100 rounds ever from a rifle). Me, I'd like a different mount, because I had some eye relief issues, but this will be her gun, so it was more important she did not....I had no issues to 400 yards.)

I'm not saying that it's close to the Mark 6, it's not, I can absolutely see a big difference. It does have clear glass, and a reticle that works. (I like the Mark 6 a lot more....) We're new to the sport, and I can see why I'd want to own some high quality glass, and if I was going to be competitive it would be a must. Down the road, I will own something better, but for the price point, and for getting into the sport, it's not a bad piece of glass to get started with. If I just played in 3-Gun casually I'd be okay with it for a long time, but if I get hooked, and spend more time shooting, I'll definitely want something more.

1x6 or not, don't compare it to $1500 or $2000 optics, personally, I kind of think it's a solid entry level optic, and I'm not unhappy with it. (Then again, I have not been totally spoiled having owned, or put thousands of rounds thru some great optics, I'm probably sub 300 rounds thru the AR ever myself.)

Edited by sundevil827

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am going to go with the strike eagle. I am going to sight it in this sat. If the scope shows up on Friday. The other guy I am going with just got a primary arms 1-6. Should be interesting to compare the two.

You ever get a chance to side-by-side the Strike Eagle and PA?

If your longest shot is 340 yds on a 10" plate, my opinion would be to get a 1-4 with the best glass (you can afford), and a reticle you like. A BDC reticle is of limited use at that distance. A used Trijicon TR24 or Burris Mtac would be good to go.

Take a look at the Burris XTRII 1-5. Excellent glass, feature rich, good price point.

Mark, which reticle do you prefer? Or any one else that has an XTR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the Ballistic CQ Mil reticle.