Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 vs. .45

fastluck13

In my experience, .45 will run right out of the box, much less fussing around.

.40 will likely require some futzing with the gun, magazines, and/or ammo to get it to work reliably.

That said, I have a .45 that is utterly reliable and required little from me (Les Baer) and a .40 (a Kimber converted by me, STI slide, Kart W/N ramped barrel) that took a bit of work. It runs reliably now with factory length ammo (which is the same ammo used in my Limited gun). I like it better cause I built it. Looks like crap (my home-made parkerizing job didn't turn out as nice as I thought it would, a trip to a Cerakote shop is in its future), but works great is is accurate.

I really don't understand the facination with 40 in SS. I've shot them both, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze IMO. 40 minor is fun, but then you might as well shoot 9.

I shot 200gr LSWC forever, then transitioned to plated 200gr SWC...then to 200gr RN...no I ask myself why I just don't go to 230 like everyone else. All of which shoot better than any 40 major loads I've tried.

I really don't understand the facination with 40 in SS. I've shot them both, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze IMO. 40 minor is fun, but then you might as well shoot 9.

I shot 200gr LSWC forever, then transitioned to plated 200gr SWC...then to 200gr RN...no I ask myself why I just don't go to 230 like everyone else. All of which shoot better than any 40 major loads I've tried.

If you do not have a 45, then it might be different. I choose 40 as I can shoot minor or major (using 10 round mags). I didn't have a 1911 that I was shooting, also plan on limited 40 someday. So logistically and cost wise it made sense. After shooting it I won't be shooting minor, so I guess I could have went 45. But someday when I go to limited I'll have two guns running the same load.

fastluck13, the answer to your second question is nearly identical. If you load 180gr bullets in 45 and 40 to the same velocity using the same powder and fire them out of identical 1911s (except for caliber), the 45 will have slightly more recoil. Why? It takes more powder to drive the 45 slug and that increases the recoil.

fastluck13, the answer to your second question is nearly identical. If you load 180gr bullets in 45 and 40 to the same velocity using the same powder and fire them out of identical 1911s (except for caliber), the 45 will have slightly more recoil. Why? It takes more powder to drive the 45 slug and that increases the recoil.

I dunno about this.

Alliant lists the following loads on their website:

40 S&W- 5.5 grains of Bullseye behind a 180 gr gold dot at 929 fps making 167 power factor.

45 ACP- 6.4 grains of Bullseye behind a 185 gr gold dot at 986 fps making 182 power factor.

Those loads are .9 grains apart, and we'd likely reduce the 45 load down to reduce the power factor. I doubt there's any among us that would notice the difference at the same power factor.

The 40 caliber guns have heavier barrels due to the thicker wall thickness. This changes the balance of the gun slightly, but I'd say the real benefit to shooting 40 is loading one less caliber if you already shoot limited.

Theoretically the 45 and 40 should have the same recoil backwards if loaded to the same power factor. Due to different bullets weights and powder burn rates the impulse the shooter feels is a bit different. I've always like the classic 45 for SS. I do have my eyes on a 40 for SS just to lower component cost for shooting/reloading it.

Hello: I have both and they are pretty close to each other. I use 200 grain Precision Moly bullets in the 45 and 180 grain Montana Gold bullets in the 40. I use Clays in the 45 and Tite Group in the 40. I have used Tite Group in the 45 but prefer Clays or Clay Dot. I also use 45 mags for both guns to keep things simple. One thing about the 45 is that if you get all your brass back the brass lasts a very long time. Thanks, Eric

I'm with you on all of this.

If the 10mm hadn't been ruined by the hasty release of poorly tested guns and whiny law enforcement officers used to shooting the softer 38spl/9mm, causing factories to down-load their ammo, then there never would have been a 40.

Anyone remember the Springfield Omega? 1911 style with linkless cam-lock barrel and dual extractors. That thing was the bomb. Want to shoot 9mm, 38 super, 38spl, 10mm, 45acp? No problem. Only one gun needed, just swap the barrel for caliber and swap the spring for however much powder you're throwing. I shot one when they first came out, it was super sweet. Had Springfield gotten it right the first time, we'd all be shooting Omega's today. Ah well, c'est la vie.

I just never understood the need for the 40. Or 357sig either for that matter. Or that stupid -insert your pet peeve cartridge here-

But to get back on topic, I'd rather have a soft 45 than a hot 40. The brass will last much longer and I can increase the power (by a lot) if I want to.

This is correct. Empirical data here: http://www.handgunsmag.com/competition/recoil-comparison-pistol-competition-cartridges/

• 1 month later...

For practicality 40 is easier to find brass for and reload - if finding brass and buying bullets aren't an issue, I've found the larger bullet going slower, with a lighter spring setup, is 'easier' to shoot. Again, a lot of this is personal preference. I shot Prod for a while before going to SS - 147gr going 875fps were 'easier' to shoot than 124gr going 1025fps - again, subjective.

Who is making production .40 SS guns nowadays? Seems like options are slim. Anyone besides STI and Sig?

I get a gun boner for Single Stack division every once in a while, but have zero interest in .45ACP due to reloading costs and extra supplies to keep in stock, and would go with 9mm over it if a good gun in .40S&W was not reasonably available.

I shoot single stack guns in just about every division they qualify for in three different calibers, .45 and .38 Super for SS Division, .40 in L-10 and Limited, but it's more about the platform for me...I just shoot a single stack better than a double stacked gun and I've had and discarded both Para's and STI's. Next project is to see if Doug Jones can drop the Accu-railed Open top end from one of the Para's onto a Caspian single stack frame I have. I understand about the cost factor but I get a lot of free .45 brass from the range our club helps run for the County. Recoil for any particular caliber, in my experience, is a mostly a matter of load development and experimentation. I tend towards finding the most accurate load first, then the "softest" recoiling one next, and the cheapest to load last. Then it goes to balancing of these three factors as far as practice and match ammo is concerned. I find premium components tend towards accuracy, especially regarding bullets, and I try for a reasonable facsimile of the match loads using lead or polymer coated ones for practice and club matches. I have to admit I like shooting my .45 the most, probably because it's the oldest gun I have and still does very well if I do my part.