Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where are the revolver shooters?

1911Prof

Please forgive this reasonably silly question, but I have just started shooting Revolver (after a decade of open division) and I really don't know the landscape. Although I did not go to Area 5 this year because I had other commitments, I noticed that there were no revolver shooters at all in attendance. Is this typical for a level III match?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At one time I always dedicated several months out of the year to shooting revolver. Over the years I played with five 625's before I finally had what I thought was the ultimate revolver.........Then USPSA adopted 8 shot minor. I sold that ultimate revolver and will most likely never shoot revo in USPSA again.

Same for ICORE, I ran an ICORE match at my local range until the last three matches had less than three people in attendance. So I discontinued ICORE at my local club. However, I do still run the Annual Postal ICORE match in the Fall every year. Only two to four show up for it.

I do like to occasionally shoot Steel Challenge with my 38spl round gun. So I say all that to say this . As much as I have enjoyed Revolvers , it is definitely a minority and getting smaller every year.

The different ICORE regionals across the nation offer a good match with stiff competition. I shot the Rocky Mountain regional each year, and Carmony ran an awesome match on Iowa last year. I'm bummed I won't make Carmony's match this fall.

If there isn't at least 5 in the division they won't recognize the division so if 4 guys pay a $150 match fee they are guarantied to not be able to win anything. What happens sometimes, if it doesn't look like the division will get recognized, the Revo guys will either switch divisions or just pull out of the match. We could always jump over to L10 and help those guys get their little division recognized. At least then there would be a chance for a trophy.

I've been trying pretty hard to boost the revolver attendance at our monthly IDPA matches and we've managed to increase the total REV division from 2 to 6 this year. Out of 50-60 shooters that isn't much but we have more people in REV than CDP now. Unfortunately ICORE matches are only held every other month due to poor attendance in the past, we only had 14 guys this month. I've been making a solid effort to let new shooters try my guns and get a feel for it. Most of them have never even held one these days.

The stand alone Revolver Nationals pulls in 100+, the Memphis Challenge, also a Revolver specific match, usually pulled in 60+ shooters.

The various Area Matches seem to either have 5-8 or none.

Local matches seem to depend on the local strengths and will flare up and wither again.

FWIW, it seems the more divisions offered the less Revolver participation.

As long as your local club lists a combined overall you can still see how you stack up.

I've been the lone Revolver shooter at several local clubs most of the last 2 years, occasionally I'll have a few more show up, and I still see myself at the top 20% of the results. I once had the opportunity to shoot 2 local matches back to back, one I shot with my 627 and the next I used my 1911. There was the same GOOD GM Production Shooter at both matches, and he won both, and my combined match % of his were within a few tenths percentage points at each match. And my placement was pretty close at both.

If you keep hanging in there maybe you will entice some to come out.

So,Mark you saying you are out for Memphis?

Paul said he wanted to go.

Could make an exception for Memphis, especially if they recognize "Classic Speedloader Division" . But the main issue there is timing , it seems to be right in the mix with SC Sectional and Area 6.

The Memphis Revolver match was a great match.

It seems as though there are fewer willing to pick up and try the revolver when it comes to competitive shooting. I do believe a lot of it is also regional. We have a lot of revolver shooters in my area (Louisville) and they actually seem to be growing in numbers. We just made a big push this year at our local club to get ICORE matches back and I somehow got roped into being MD. Needless to say, our first match looks like it may get the same level of attendance that our monthly IDPA matches get, possibly as many as our USPSA match. If we happen to get 50+ shooters out there, I wouldn't be suprised. A lot of our USPSA guys are actually starting to pick up the revolver just to shoot something different, perhaps it may be the start of a trend where people are tired of shooting the same thing and want the challenge of learning a new platform.

At the NC Sectionals there has been on average (from 2010-2015) 5 revolver shooters at the match. I have been one of them every time I could make the match. As others have mentioned above, in a match that is dedicated to revolver or limited in divisions recognized there are more revolver participants. I had the opportunity to participate in the 2013 Revolver Nationals, and several times in the Memphis Charity Challenge. I primarily shoot in the revolver division, with only a few (I think once over the last 8 years) times in production division. In that match I shot my revolver in production if I remember correctly.

My point is that there are a number of people that shoot revolver division, but they have other divisions that they also shoot. Given the choice many would rather shoot in other divisions than revolver. It all comes down to preference.

I am lucky enough to live in an area with a large number of revolver shooters, and the numbers are still thin. Mid-Atlantic ICORE gets probably around 30-40 shooters. Local club USPSA matches may see 3 or 4 on a good weekend. IDPA actually seems to do better with revolver shooters. I think part of it is the fact that you only have a maximum required round count of 18, so the revolver shooters have 1 extra reload over ESP or SSP on most stages. Some stages are horrible for revolvers, but most a revolver can be competitive.

If there isn't at least 5 in the division they won't recognize the division so if 4 guys pay a $150 match fee they are guarantied to not be able to win anything. What happens sometimes, if it doesn't look like the division will get recognized, the Revo guys will either switch divisions or just pull out of the match. We could always jump over to L10 and help those guys get their little division recognized. At least then there would be a chance for a trophy.

I think this is a Major Problem not only at Level III but also at II Matches. The most I have ever seen is at the Florida State matches this year that I RO'ed they had a squad of about 8 or 10 shooters. This is an issue I believe this is an issue that USPSA BOD needs to address as far as keeping revolvers in the game. I have never agreed with the 5 in the division rule if their are at least 3 shooters in the division 1 should walk away with a trophy. Although I just started shooting revolver before I had to go overseas I will continue to shoot it for the foreseeable future when I upgrade to a 929. I shoot for fun so I will be that only guy with a wheel gun in these matches.

• 2 weeks later...

don't worry, when Mike becomes President he is going to look at divsions based on actual data from the membership. I think we can all predict what will happen to L10 & probably Revo .... maybe we'll get really crazy and fix CO as well ..... :)

Edited by Nimitz

don't worry, when Mike becomes President he is going to look at divsions based on actual data from the membership. I think we can all predict what will happen to L10 & probably Revo .... maybe we'll get really crazy and fix CO as well ..... :)

I think so, L10 will disappear and Revo will be left alone.

USPSA = too many "rules".... I can remember many years ago when the "rule" book was pamphlet like in size...... Someone needs too come out with a 10 shot revolver with a quick change cylinder along the lines of Ruger style, then we can add yet another class. . I see a new "provisional" class is on the horizon for plastic guns with slide mounted red dots ala 10 shot max/minor.....

Edited by mike NM