Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a comp for 3 gun

Eric1231

Based on that article I purchased a Precision Armament’s M4-72 Severe-Duty Compensator! and it works really, really well at reducing recoil. However, the blast gasses come back in my face more than I care for. I am going to try their M11-SPR since the blast is more directed to the sides instead of rearwards plus it has two vertical top ports which should help to keep muzzle rise down too.

I use the SJC and the Carbon Arms Gas Hog. The SJC works very well but it's heavy, loud and has a pretty good concussion wave or whatever with it.

Gas Hog works the same is much lighter, quieter and less shock wave. I vote GH.

Edited by bigblock455

• 4 weeks later...

I have used a JP, a Miculek, and a Nordic Corvette. All very similar in performance. I haven'd had the chance to use or be around a Gas Hog yet, that I know of. I ROed the GenIII Gun in Missouri last weekend and the concussion on all the effective comps is pretty nasty for an RO. As a shooter I never noticed much with either the JP or the Nordic. I tuned my Nordic by drilling a side jet port and tapping a top port for a set screw to lessen the down force. I do like a comp that is easy to tune.

Titans are very very flat but their concussion is probably the worst to be around, and they are long.

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

I just put a Carbon Arms Gas Hog (CAGH) on a new upper. I have only fired a few rounds through it for zeroing and a couple of shots offhand, so this is a very preliminary impression...

It is an effective comp. I am not going to try and compare it directly to anything else with so little time behind it, but, if anything, it pushed my muzzle down.

It is quiet. Not like suppressor quiet, of course, but let me put it in perspective. My zeroing range is closed and covered, open only on the downrange side of the benches. It is a loud space and I would normally shoot with both plugs and muffs. After zeroing that way and thinking it wasn't too bad, I ran a few rounds with the muffs off; with plugs only, it was still comfortable on the ears. I even stood aside (in RO position), plugs only, while somebody else shot the rifle and it was absolutely nothing like the eyeball-flattening experience of standing in the same zip code as an SJC Titan.

I think the tradeoff is that the CAGH doesn't actually reduce recoil very much, but is almost entirely focused on reducing muzzle rise, which would be perfectly reasonable for a .223 round. I took some video of my offhand shots and I could see the rifle move straight back into my shoulder but not lift at all. If that impression is correct, then I assume very little gas—hence very little noise and concussion—is coming back uprange.

I've been using the Miculek comp. Works great and the price is right. Not the best looking comp, but very effective. Its very loud though. If shooting next to a barrel, wall, or barricade I usually double plug.

I just put a Carbon Arms Gas Hog (CAGH) on a new upper. I have only fired a few rounds through it for zeroing and a couple of shots offhand, so this is a very preliminary impression...

It is an effective comp. I am not going to try and compare it directly to anything else with so little time behind it, but, if anything, it pushed my muzzle down.

It is quiet. Not like suppressor quiet, of course, but let me put it in perspective. My zeroing range is closed and covered, open only on the downrange side of the benches. It is a loud space and I would normally shoot with both plugs and muffs. After zeroing that way and thinking it wasn't too bad, I ran a few rounds with the muffs off; with plugs only, it was still comfortable on the ears. I even stood aside (in RO position), plugs only, while somebody else shot the rifle and it was absolutely nothing like the eyeball-flattening experience of standing in the same zip code as an SJC Titan.

I think the tradeoff is that the CAGH doesn't actually reduce recoil very much, but is almost entirely focused on reducing muzzle rise, which would be perfectly reasonable for a .223 round. I took some video of my offhand shots and I could see the rifle move straight back into my shoulder but not lift at all. If that impression is correct, then I assume very little gas—hence very little noise and concussion—is coming back uprange.

Exactly what I was going for in the design. :) Matched with all of the low mass parts, I wanted to keep the muzzle down, the weight low and the concussion to a minimum...plus last as long as a barrel.

Exactly what I was going for in the design. :) Matched with all of the low mass parts, I wanted to keep the muzzle down, the weight low and the concussion to a minimum...plus last as long as a barrel.

Mark, is there any good way to tweak to reduce downforce?