Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

leaving lead behind

tcazes

I absolutely love the accuracy of bayou bullets but i am tired or cleaning the lead out of my barrel. I have spent too many hours playing with crimp etc to still get leading.

With that being said, I'm shooting a 1911 and only use n320. What do yall recomend going with? Precision delta 124 HP? Ranier 124 plated hp? Montana gold seems expensive as all get out to me but is it worth it? Berry's were horribly inaccurate for me last I tried...

I have shot plenty of plated but never fmj so I don't really know where to start.. I'll be shooting idpa, uspsa minor ss, and steel challenge so I'd like to run 130 pf to stay safe in idpa and uspsa.

Thanks in advance!

If you want the most accurate, the Montana Gold is simply the better bullet. There is a noticeable improvement over the rest. Of course, you pay for that accuracy, and for myself, the Xtreme plated come in 2nd. Great company to work with and I have never had a problem with them.

I had some trouble with the Bayous also, and switched to Blue Bullets. Absolutely love em................

I have shot Bayous' in 45 and in 9mm and have never had leading issues. In fact it's quite the opposite.

Not to say you don't but you shouldn't. The HiTek coating should keep leading from occurring. Like mont1120 I went to Blue Bullets in 9 only to get a 147 RN due to feeding issues.

Some have said if you load them too hot they will burn the coating off. This could be where the problem lies. With no load data it's impossible to say.

My suggestion would be if you like the Bayou bullets and want to use them without experiencing leading go to the .357 diameter bullets and don't over crimp them. Anytime coated bullets lead a barrel it's a sizing issue either caused by a barrel that is too large or over crimping which casues the bullet to be too small. If you are using an FCD this could also be the culprit in sizing the bullet down in the case. HAP's, PD's and MG's will all shoot great in an over sized barrel so just pick the best price, increase your load by 4 tenths and go.

I have been thinking about trying Everglades bullets. You can get their 124 gr. for $172/ 2000 or $299 per case. Has anyone used these?

I have never used Everglades before, they may be a great bullet, but before I paid that for a RN FMJ bullet I would get 2000 Precision Delta 124gr JHP's for $178. They are about the most accurate bullet I have ever fired out of my XDM.

I have been thinking about trying Everglades bullets. You can get their 124 gr. for $172/ 2000 or $299 per case. Has anyone used these?

I have never used Everglades before, they may be a great bullet, but before I paid that for a RN FMJ bullet I would get 2000 Precision Delta 124gr JHP's for $178. They are about the most accurate bullet I have ever fired out of my XDM.

I agree. I have used PDs and they are good. At $176 {for RN} with free shipping I would buy those first. How much are you saving shooting coated bullets? Keep in mind you could probably do better in cost with jacketed if bought in larger quantity.

Edited by z40acp

I switched to Bayous and my blood lead level dropped from 25 to 8 in just 4 months of shooting a USPSA match 4 to 6 times a month. That is the basically the same lead level as guys shooting fully jacketed bullets. Cleanup is a breeze just a couple of pulls on the bore snake. Delivery in 3 days from New Orleans to SoCal. I run them thru both OEM Glock and BarSto barrels. My load is the 125 TC on top of 4.0 grains of Tite group at 1.100" OAL

My suggestion would be if you like the Bayou bullets and want to use them without experiencing leading go to the .357 diameter bullets and don't over crimp them. Anytime coated bullets lead a barrel it's a sizing issue either caused by a barrel that is too large or over crimping which casues the bullet to be too small. If you are using an FCD this could also be the culprit in sizing the bullet down in the case.

This.

Only remove the bell, better yet get a Lyman M die. Dump the FCD. Too small a diameter will cause problems. I have a 9 and 38 SC I use .358" with the HI-TEK coating. If you have multiple 9's that take different sizes, you can get the .358 bullets and size them down yourself with a LEE sizer. It's one more step but works.

My crimp is .380 so just enough to fit a dillon case Guage. When I pull a bullet there is no sign of crimp. I get leading non stop. Can't figure out why. So. Moving on.

I usually run 128-130pf for all of my rnds from 124 to 147s. Not pushing them to hard and have tried different powders etc. Always leads

Using the factory dillon dies in my sdb and have never had a problem before.

I shoot roughly 1100-1200 a month and shoot matches every weekend so ima need something fairly wallet friendly.

Ima order 100 packs of montana, deltas, and maybe some blues to try

I haven't found any fmj bullet with better value than precision delta. Good accuracy and very minimal price difference than plated alternatives if purchased in quantity. Having good results with 124 jhp over n320 at 135pf.

Normally, even shooting bare lead out of my 9 and 45 I didn't get leading. So there's something definitely amiss there.

Have you contacted Donney yet about your issue?

Edited by v1911

Blackandbluebullets.com makes it easy to select the size you want when ordering...but if you don't have a reason to be avoiding jacketed, PD is only a tiny bit more $ and jacketed bullets are easier to load and don't lead barrels.

Have you slugged your barrel? Sounds like your barrel ID and bullet OD are amiss and causing the leading. I shoot (un-coated) lead exclusively and my barrel's bore looks like a mirror with no leading deposits at all. You also need to pull a bullet from a loaded cartridge and measure its OD. Its possible the bullet is exiting the case under size.

Use a few strands of copper Chore Boy wrapped around an old copper bore brush to remove lead. Ten seconds of scrubbing with kerosene or Hoppe's No 9 and it works like a charm. Do you have a lubra-sizer? After you clean your barrel do you oil it or leave it dry? You might try a WET coating of Ed's Red in your bore immediately before you shoot lead boolits. This will lube the first shot. If you shoot the first shot through a dry bore this can immediately lead the bore and start a snow ball effect.

I use just a ss billow pad wrapped around an undersized brass brush or use just an undersized brass brush and scrub. I used to always lube the inside of the barrel after each cleaning.

I recently frog lubed my barrel after a proper prepping and Cleaning and suprisingly lead removal is much easier. But leading still occurrs. I have found a quick bore snake immediately after shooting the last round removes damn near everything since it's still soft but I'd rather not have any leading to begin with.

I'm on the hunt for some .358 soft lead locally to slug my barrel with.