Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Was Your First 1911 Part To Fail In A Match?

GunBugBit

I've had an ambi safety joint get lose and back apart during a match (Taurus 1911). Had the thumb pad of a Wilson safety crack but replaced it before it broke (custom 1911). Also had a barrel link break after being Melonited. I've had a rear sight blade shear off (Kimber 1911) after being Melonited. I've had a sear springs lose tension and allow hammer follow. Had a Melonited EGW lightweight hammer spur shear off in a mach but caused no malfunctions.

Lessons learned:

- Don't Melonite small parts

- Be ready to adjust or replace sear springs

- Keep an eye on MIM parts

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first part to break during a match was a firing pin stop. It split right down the middle during my first USPSA Nationals in 1993. George from EGW fixed me up and got me back in the match within minutes.

My first part was the extractor. The claw broke off but I only had one fte during the whole match. I guess it's true that a correctly tuned 1911/2011 can run without an extractor. It was a factory sti and was handled quickly by them.

sights for sure on my .40. Go through FO rods frequently. I do bring an extra guide rod, springs, and FO rods to repair as I go. Also in the bag is my 9mm in case I have something go super wrong.

a Wilson Combat 'Bulletproof' extractor. The tip broke off... Finished the match with my carry gun - Colt Lightweight Commander - which was in the range bag.

Have had fiber optic fall out of the Dawson front sight... and yes, you can use the hole to sight thru, but it is not as good! I now carry spare FO and a lighter.

(WC replaced the extractor for free, no questions asked)

Just recently had a slide stop break. It sheared right where it passed through the barrel link. i didnt notice it till 2 days after the match. Guess that explains a few of my strange malfunctions I had.

I think my extractor was cracked before breaking off, because earlier there were malfunctions that I thought must be related to the extractor or ejector, but both parts were there and seemed solid upon field stripping. The day before the extractor broke, I had it out of the gun during a detail strip/cleaning. I handled it and it was intact. It could have had a crack without me noticing it with my eyes or hands, but still causing malfunctions. On the stage when my gun would not fire more than the first round, I went with a gunsmith to the gun-handling safe area and a field strip revealed: no more extractor claw, it had broken off inside the extractor channel.

I'll weight in even though it wasn't technically "My gun", having borrowed it from a friend for that particular match...

my first and so far only in-match parts breakage, and one of the most bizarre moments I've ever had while shooting was about 16 years ago. Was visiting a friend out of state and he wanted me to shoot this ww2 themed multi-gun match his club had cooked up, so I borrowed his GI style "Frankenstein". other than a Colt made "Spare" slide I have no idea where the parts came from, and I doubt my buddy did either.

3rd stage dang thing ate its own lunch, somewhere in the 2nd mag the whole slide went off the front! link and lower lug had parted company with the rest of the barrel. :surprise:

last time I ever shot a match with a gun I hadn't personally cleaned and inspected beforehand. and I think the owner still has the two "halves" in a shadow box on his wall to remind him to question any too-good-to-be-true deals

only funny thing about this was the chorus of "WHAT THE ~BLEEP~" and similar from the gallery, while I'm standing there trying to figure out why I'm suddenly holding half a gun. I swear to god when that thing left it looked like one of those 50's "Cold catapult shot" segments from navy training films.

Edited by Detritus

Not really a part "failure" per se but I shot at a sandy match (unusual where I'm from), and my followers started sticking in the mag tubes. I had never had to do mag maintenance mid-match before. I made do with what I had but now carry a mag brush.