Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Was Your First 1911 Part To Fail In A Match?

GunBugBit

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sear spring. More than once. One in a brand new gun, one with a lot of rounds on it. It didn't fail (as in break in half), just starting causing issues. First gun trigger wouldn't reset. Second gun got hammer follow.

• 4 weeks later...

Factory extractor on my Para P1445, Had a corner chipped out of it. On the last and longest stage at the 2001 Silver Buckle match my Para went from a semi auto to a manual single shot. I got kinda fast at it...was not fun at the time...

Randy

USPSA TY27966

ICORE CA8491

NRA LIFE MEMBER CVD5294

First to happen at match was a factory para extractor lost tension. Over the years... Couple of the little collars on the aftec that hold the springs. Couple of cracked firing pin stops. 1 factory ambi safety (strong side broke off just beyond where the pin joins to the plate). Countless fiber optic rods (far fewer after I started doing a better job of installing them). Scope mount hole on a backup caspian open gun won't hold a screw anymore (gun has a thin dust cover just not much meat to tap... I need to get it welded up one of these days.) Bent a firing pin (round without a primer got through unnoticed in some practice ammo pin (extended) got stuck in the flash hole of the case (best I can tell) when I cleared the malfunction it bent the firing pin which was left sticking out of the breech face. Cracked 2 slides 1 on the right side through the ejection port, the other on left side at the square corner at the top of the ejection port and the breech face (both were on high rount count open guns so that almost shouldn't count, more like a wear item). Couple of tungsten guide rods (one which launched itself down range during a classifier and actually didn't even stop the gun. I am sure there is more, I just can't remember.

I don't count aftec springs, recoil springs, or mag springs as generally those are wear items that don't normally break rather just wear out and stop working.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Add me to the list of those who have experienced a broken thumb safety - left side snapped off near the pin...probably a result of riding the safety for all the rounds I've fired...It's just a casting - ordered a machined piece. Should hopefully last longer than the gun (which won't last very long at this rate)

• 2 weeks later...

First was the extractor, then at Nationals during the course of fire, something smacked me in the mouth and broke my tooth. It was the rear sight which had come off, got hit by the slide during recoil, and came straight back at me. Nice little surprise.

Nothing yet (knocking on wood)

I carry an extra barrel link, slide stop and extractor.

It also helps that 2 other guys I shoot with have real similar pistols to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First was a firing pin stop. Second was a plunger tube. Both on the same Kimber. Its the only 1911 ive ever broken parts on. To its credit neither stopped the gun from running and it had a very high round count.

Had the barrel lugs shear off of my Mill Spec 1911 ... gun stopped.... I dropped the mag and the topend flew off the gun :) That was fun...The great team at springfield took care if for me in about 7 days including shipping... right before my first Area Match :)

In the 97 or 98 Aware .. the elevation screw broke off the top of my P 14, with 4 static targets remaining on my last stage... I'd break a shot... the sights would flip up 90 degrees the back down.. it was 130 point field course if I remember correctly and I finished 8 points down... all A's on the last 4 targets.. :)

Edited by jrguar

• 1 month later...

I did have a slide stop start giving me problems. It didn't break so much as something was wrong and causing the slide to lock randomly w rounds left. I got better at clearing and moving on though. It was a rock island they paid round trip shipping and fit up a new stop

Red

First to happen at match was a factory para extractor lost tension. Over the years... Couple of the little collars on the aftec that hold the springs. Couple of cracked firing pin stops. 1 factory ambi safety (strong side broke off just beyond where the pin joins to the plate). Countless fiber optic rods (far fewer after I started doing a better job of installing them). Scope mount hole on a backup caspian open gun won't hold a screw anymore (gun has a thin dust cover just not much meat to tap... I need to get it welded up one of these days.) Bent a firing pin (round without a primer got through unnoticed in some practice ammo pin (extended) got stuck in the flash hole of the case (best I can tell) when I cleared the malfunction it bent the firing pin which was left sticking out of the breech face. Cracked 2 slides 1 on the right side through the ejection port, the other on left side at the square corner at the top of the ejection port and the breech face (both were on high rount count open guns so that almost shouldn't count, more like a wear item). Couple of tungsten guide rods (one which launched itself down range during a classifier and actually didn't even stop the gun. I am sure there is more, I just can't remember.

I don't count aftec springs, recoil springs, or mag springs as generally those are wear items that don't normally break rather just wear out and stop working.

Add anothe slide to the list of involuntary offerings to the gods of speed... found it when servicing the gun the week before the south carolina state match...

Add me to the list of those who have experienced a broken thumb safety - left side snapped off near the pin...probably a result of riding the safety for all the rounds I've fired...It's just a casting - ordered a machined piece. Should hopefully last longer than the gun (which won't last very long at this rate)

We should start a club. My thumb safety snapped in the same place. Second stage of a match. Just dropped her off at the smith to have a new one fitted.