Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Was Your First 1911 Part To Fail In A Match?

GunBugBit

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far.

The statistics on which parts were mentioned are:

• Sights 15
  • Extractor 13
  • Barrel link 6
  • Slide stop 5
  • Thumb safety 4
  • Magazine 2
  • Ejector 1
  • Magazine catch 1
  • Barrel foot 1
  • Leaf springs 1
  • Hammer 1
  • Sear 1
  • Plunger tube 1
  • Firing pin stop 1

Not surprisingly, my own two in-match failures were in the two categories mentioned most often: sights and extractors.

This thread has not been intended to demonstrate that the 1911 is a poor design. Most of us know that any gun can have parts breakage if we run them hard enough.

The thread is to help advise any interested 1911 shooter who might want to carry spare parts to matches, and wants to know which parts would most likely see breakage.

I personally love 1911s and will keep shooting them as long as I can stand up!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only part I ever had break in a big match was At the TN Section match in '95 when a Briley 45 barrels lower lugs started to pull away from the barrel.

Lucky for me it was on the last shot of a stage and I could not move the slide to show clear. The RO had hands like Andre the Giant and he moved it with great difficulty. Briley said it was installed incorrectly. I told them who installed it and they sent me a new barrel.

The backup gun came in handy that day.

Had a sear split down the middle and found it when cleaning.

Update based on recent posts:

• 18 - Sights
  • 13 - Extractor
  • 7 - Barrel link
  • 5 - Slide stop
  • 5 - Thumb safety
  • 2 - Magazine
  • 2 - Guide rod or recoil spring/mechanism
  • 2 - Sear
  • 1 - Ejector
  • 1 - Magazine catch
  • 1 - Barrel foot
  • 1 - Leaf spring
  • 1 - Hammer
  • 1 - Plunger tube
  • 1 - Firing pin stop
  • 1 - Barrel lugs
Edited by GunBugBit

I shot my first 3 gun match with a 9mm Citadel 1911 and had a failure on the third stage.

I went to slide lock with one target left. I inserted a full magazine and hit the slide release. The bottom plate came off of the mag and the spring, follower, and eight rounds of 9mm hit the ground. Armscor replaced the magazine but the original mags are now just used for loading Barney rounds. I have only used Wilson ETM mags in matches since then and have not had any more problems.

I was waiting for someone to say firing pin stop. I've heard that one from 3 different guys at the club. Aren't there quite a few MIM FPSs out there?

I have found my firing pin stop cracked, twice. Neither caused the gun to stop running.

First is hard to remember but used to carry a extra red dot and always had one at the factory being repaired. We basically were the R&D to help Tasco and Aimpoint make a red dot that lasted. C-more when it came out as the newest latest greatest, broke as much.

First was probably an extractor but that was 20 extractors ago.

I've been lucky I guess. I've caught everything before it caused a match failure except for a recoil spring that finally got too weak. The gun was in the safe for a couple years, took it to a match, a couple FTF's in 200-something rounds from a gun that was previously 110% reliable made me want to cry. Full strip found nothing wrong, installed new spring, back in action.

I have been lucky as well. The one major failure has been a recoil spring issue. Of course it happened on the second target of the day and I did not have a backup handy. What was really scary about this one was that I was shooting a club match with my normal duty weapon. . Better to fail in competition than on the street.

Back half of the front sight on my Edge sheared off during the last stage of a match in 2012. It was very odd to see the front sight sitting sideways. Finished the stage fine, and Dawson replaced the sight for free. Dawson is the bomb dot com.

The factory extractor, didn't break, but failed me repeatedly. As did the Wilson replacement. As did the Aftec replacement. Eventually I figured out the extractor tunnel was cut wrong in the slide, so no matter how much I tuned the extractors, even when they seemed to be adjusted right they weren't. So that slide failed me countless times for about four years. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Failure no. 2 - another match, another barrel link :-(

This time I had a spare one handy, but it's obvious that STI dropped the ball on this gun and that the timing is off. New link is a #5 as opposed to a #4. However, it meant that it was far too hard to unlock - had to elongate the hole in the upper side of the link before it would work smoothly.

It also happened to 2 other Edges in our club.

A friend lost the back half of the front sight... :angry2:

I really miss my G35 :(

I sadly can add to this list now. My plastic STI 2011 grip no longer holds my mag catch in place. The ledge on the left side which keeps the button from pushing through has given out and caused my mag catch spring and plunger to launch on the line for load/make ready at the match today before ever firing a round.

I sadly can add to this list now. My plastic STI 2011 grip no longer holds my mag catch in place. The ledge on the left side which keeps the button from pushing through has given out and caused my mag catch spring and plunger to launch on the line for load/make ready at the match today before ever firing a round.

I've just had a problem with my grip also. I had the gun apart for cleaning and noticed a crack behind the mainspring housing, on closer inspection I found its broken right through. It hasn't been an issue so far as the magwell keeps it together, but I have a new one on the way.