Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

72 rounds ok for limited?

jtraccs

When i was shooting production i had 6 mags on the belt which made 60 rounds. with my limited setup now, i have 4 x 19 rounds which gives me 76. I never really used 60 rounds when i was production unless i really messed up. safe to assume 76 rounds is plenty for any given stage? I have a 5th mag and pouch, but wanted to keep the weight down on the belt so only setup 4 mags for now.

i got my answer. did a google search. 3 is suffice, but nice to have the 4th for the "oh sh!t moments". thats mainly what the 6th mag was for in the production division. i see no need for the 5th. sorry for answering my own question.

Edited by jtraccs

Yep. I have 4 on my belt, one in the gun. Used to be 3 and 1, but I had a steel match where it was 10 rounds only and added a pouch. I actually had to use it on one stage in the Ohio championship when I had a unexpected mag ejection, followed by a death jam.

I have a 17, 20, 20 on my belt and a 21 that goes in the gun. So I have 78 rounds. It has never been too few for me (not remotely), and having 3 on the belt gives you more reload options when you encounter that weird 32 round stage that needs 2 reloads, and still has an "oh sh!t" mag left over.

It's not the total round count, it's how many mag changes do you need to make. I load at 24 and carry 3x23, for a total of 93.

Edited by 9x45

It's not the total round count, it's how many mag changes do you need to make. I load at 24 and carry 3x23, for a total of 93.

I'm with this. For 40 cal, four mags on the belt if they're 17 rds or more, provides 18 (or more) to start in the gun. Use mag #3 to barney, then load mag #4 into the gun, leaving three mags for reloads. Most stages will use 2 mags, although some may need 3 due to stage strategy. That leaves one (or two) left over for flubbed reloads and mag catastrophies (CYA).

In Production it's 5 mags on the belt, one more in a pocket to load at MR. Never gone to #5 on the belt, but I've gone to #4 either due to stage strategy or a flubbed reload.

Edited by teros135

• 1 month later...

3 on the belt and 1 in the gun for me and mine all hold 20. I almost never use more than one mag off of the belt, but I had a stage not to long ago where I had to shoot weak hand and hit the mag release with my middle finger ejecting the mag so I had to use another from the belt or take time to pick it up. Like others have said there will be some courses that it is an advantage to do an extra planned reload. When you go to level 2 or 3 matches you never know what you are likely to see, I shot a match last year with nothing but steel.

3+1 for limited. (20rd mags)

5+1 for production.

Usually only use 1, but I have had to use another when a mag became a salt shaker.

Edited by Quack

I carry 2 20`s and a 20 with 11 rounds in the back for big matches. (4 total with the man in the gun). My though is less weight and in the of shit moment I have at least 1 position in my deep reserve. 99% of the time I don't get past the gun + reload mag but I did have a big match where I was 1 round short do to a missed reload and jam. It happened to be a popper so mike + Fte.

Local matches I carry 3 total mags. (20,20,11)

I carry 2 20`s and a 20 with 11 rounds in the back for big matches. (4 total with the man in the gun). My though is less weight and in the of shit moment I have at least 1 position in my deep reserve. 99% of the time I don't get past the gun + reload mag but I did have a big match where I was 1 round short do to a missed reload and jam. It happened to be a popper so mike + Fte.

Seems strange if you are gonna keep the mag there on your belt taking up space that you wouldn't fill it up. I just use a factory mag in the back (17 rounds) but I always fill it all the way up. I feel like the tiny amount of additional weight would be worth it when you are on a 2 reload stage plan and one mag takes a dive.

IMHO. I know that it has happened to me (only once, but still)...

It's just a weight thing for me. 99% of the time the loaded gun +1 magazine are more than enough.

Funny thing though I will,bet I have a few rounds in,my pocket + knife ect ect. :)

I'm curious where you think the weight of 9 rounds is going to slow you down?

I can see downloading a round or two because it's easy to stick a reload sometimes downloaded, but going down 9 rounds for weight? Where's the gain in your speed?