Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spent primers?

RudyVey

I got some 8 lbs of spent primers collected over the time I am reloading. Would like to get rid of them, what is the best way??

Just toss them in the garbage, or take them to a scrap yard?? I assume they are made from brass and nickel plated, or?

I've got a pretty good jag of them sitting around taking up space myself. I figured one of these days I would gather them up with the scrap brass and bullet jackets from casting and see if the scrap yard would give me anything for them.

I've heard of people taking them to recycling centers. With the money they get from the recycling center they buy more primers. Seems like a good deal.

This. They are brass. I toss them in with non-reloadable brass.

I'd check with as many scrap metal dealers as possible in your area. Prices offered will vary somewhat. They were bringing about $2.00 a pound some time ago, haven't sold any lately.

• 2 weeks later...

I dump my spent primers and bad brass in a coffee can. When it gets filled the wife takes it to her metal scrap guy. Not sure what she gets for it but makes her happy. What more can you ask for...

I've got a bunch, too. Do you have to clean them before taking them in? Doesn't seem like the recycler would take all the lead and residue.

Don't worry about cleaning the primers. They will be dumped in with all the other brass at the recycler. As far as the lead residue, you can put the primers in a plastic bag and not worry about it or keep them in a big jar to be dumped out. I personally don't think it matters.

When you bring your scrap to a recycling place for money, do they make you bring the scrap sorted. As of right now I just through all my steel cases, aluminum cases, unloadable brass cases, and spent primers in one container.... Should I be throwing them into a steel scrap, aluminum scrap, and brass scrap containers?

When you bring your scrap to a recycling place for money, do they make you bring the scrap sorted. As of right now I just through all my steel cases, aluminum cases, unloadable brass cases, and spent primers in one container.... Should I be throwing them into a steel scrap, aluminum scrap, and brass scrap containers?

Around here, if they have to separate materials, the price you get is lower. There really is not a good (cheap) way to separate the metals you listed. Steel is easy, but the aluminum, not so much.

this is great info. After tossing spent primers for years, I finally started saving them in an empty laundry detergent tub. Once I fill it up I will take it to the recycler with my bad brass.

Last time I took a gallon bucket of scrap brass in a couple years ago, I recall getting about $14 bucks for it. Not bad!

OK, took the spent primers and a small box of brass (cracked, old, small primer .45 etc) to the scrap place in town. Came home with $22.50.

They paid $1.50 per lbs. brass. Their scale was not the most accurate, but they deal more with heavier stuff, but I had some 15 lbs of spent primers and old brass - $22.50 is better than a stick in the eye.

Edited by RudyVey

The scrap yards that pay the best prices around Charlotte NC want things separated. Brass cases have a price all their own and they don't want nickle in with the brass. I just separate it as it is collects.