Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone get their STI 9mm open to run with stock mags?

EDA

Just a general question. I know there are plenty of posts about using tuned mags - Has anyone gotten their STI 9mm open to run on non-tuned mags consistently (ie just replacing spring, basepad, and/or follower)?

There seems to be a shortage of tuned 9mm 170's and 140's out there for less than $175 and I'm not interested in buying the Dawson kit to experiment.

I have 5 STI 9mm non-tuned mags and they all run 100%. 3x 140mm and 2x 170mm. Dawson tool-less base pads, hardy spacers and Grams springs/followers.

Are you having issues?

Edited by echotango

No issues yet, that I know of - my 9mm open is on it's way still! But in preparation, I only have mags for my .40 Ltd which were Brazos tuned and need to buy 9mm mags. Want to know if I should just get factory 140/170s and swap internals or spend the money on tuned mags from the start.

HI. I have 3 140 and 1 170 mag with Grams springs and followers. I had issues with the stock mags. I had a lot of nosedives, and the follower flipped over 1 time. I spoke on the phone with Gram and he gave me some tips. Since then all my mags have been trouble free. My mags are using the Dawson Tool-less base pads.

He told me to glue the spacer in place in the mag, and to use a very light oil on the inside of the tube (run a rag through it with a little oil on it).

For me, the Grams springs and followers, and gluing the spacer in place is what helped the most.

i have two 170s and a few 140s with my steelmaster, 100% stock. i can't say it's been 100% reliable, but certainly it's very very close, shooting wwb 9mm. same deal with my 9mm eagle using 126's and 140s.

5 fully stock sti 140 mags. I cut some plastic off of the follower so the slide didnt lock back on empty but other than that I have done no tuning and have always worked out of the package. If something goes wrong in the near future with them I'll report back.

Has anyone used the combo of: Stock mag/spacer/baseplate and just added the Grams springs/followers? I will trim the followers to not lock back. How many fit in a 170 this way?

Stock STI 170mm mag holds 26, Grams spring and follower will give you 27. Beven told me I could use his 2.5 mm basepad and get 28 reloadable, guaranteed to fit the gage. This is what I found to be true with my mags with the stock spacer loose or metal spacers glued into place. You may get 29 if you use a Grams 4mm or Dawson SNL basepad but you may have to work on the mag to get it to go in the gage.

Edited by TwoShot

7 bone stock 140's that run perfect. Never saw much sense spending money on upgrading the 140's.

My 2-170's have Grams springs and followers and Dawson pads, but no tube mods and they run perfect as well.

Stock STI 170mm mag holds 26, Grams spring and follower will give you 27. Beven told me I could use his 2.5 mm basepad and get 28 reloadable, guaranteed to fit the gage. This is what I found to be true with my mags with the stock spacer loose or metal spacers glued into place. You may get 29 if you use a Grams 4mm or Dawson SNL basepad but you may have to work on the mag to get it to go in the gage.

are you running the mags with the factory spacers?

STI mags, Hardy spacers, Grams springs and followers with Dawson base pads. We've shot with 2 open guns over 100k rounds for over 2 years with this setup. Eric is right... It just works.

Try buying stock first. Save the money for practice.

"modifying followers" yes if you want the slide to NOT lock back.. but keep in mind you should also have your slide stop modified as well to do it right.

I have both... if we shoot ProAm my daughter wants her slide locked back. (ten rounds per mag rule)

On all other occasions we want it closing. Most shooters do... but it is a personal choice.

The Slide locking back wouldn't have bothered me but the slide would rest on the follower locking the slide. not the slide lock actually being engaged. I modified the follower because the mags Would get stuck because the follower was wedged By the slide and would not drop. Very easy fix woth a razor knife in my situation

I noticed the same thing with the follower holding back the slide. I filed it down so it doesnt bind and doesnt lock back, but I am not a fan of how it rides along the top of the follower. Guess I need to switch it out. The mag cycles great though and I got 20 reloadable in the stock 140mm mag without any mods.

I also have five 140MM STI non-tuned mags in .38 Super with spacers for 9MM use. The GM that I bought this 2011 from used it as his back-up gun and he never even used spacers in the mags. He claimed that he never had any problems using that set-up, (and I have absolutely no reason to doubt this statement, although he was using hotter handloads than I use) although when shooting steel plate matches, I had sevaral problems until I set up all of the mags with spacers for use with 9MM. I do find that I'm forced to keep the polished feed ramp cleaned during matches or the rounds will start to jam nose-first into a dirty feed ramp.

• 4 months later...

HI. I have 3 140 and 1 170 mag with Grams springs and followers. I had issues with the stock mags. I had a lot of nosedives, and the follower flipped over 1 time. I spoke on the phone with Gram and he gave me some tips. Since then all my mags have been trouble free. My mags are using the Dawson Tool-less base pads.

He told me to glue the spacer in place in the mag, and to use a very light oil on the inside of the tube (run a rag through it with a little oil on it).

For me, the Grams springs and followers, and gluing the spacer in place is what helped the most.

What glue are you using?