Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone get their STI 9mm open to run with stock mags?

EDA

Stock STI 170mm mag holds 26, Grams spring and follower will give you 27. Beven told me I could use his 2.5 mm basepad and get 28 reloadable, guaranteed to fit the gage. This is what I found to be true with my mags with the stock spacer loose or metal spacers glued into place. You may get 29 if you use a Grams 4mm or Dawson SNL basepad but you may have to work on the mag to get it to go in the gage.

What glue are you using?

47a7034293f033dd6183a7a80ae380ec.jpg

This is what I used. A moderate amount and stuff a rag in the tube to keep the spacer seated really well. I pulled part of the rag up through the feed lips.

Did you only apply this at the base and at the feed ramps?

Or did you somehow apply it down the entire spine of the tube?

I am using one called E6000 from walmart in the paint section where the adhesives are. Its a clear industrial adhesive that is flexible and good for vibration. Whatever you use you wanna make sure it has some flex to it and is not rigid or it wont handle the shock as well of getting dropped etc. I apply to back of spacer, spread over the surface then apply and let sit to cure. Cures in 24 hr max strength in 72

I glued the spacer in like above, but just loaded it up full & let it sit to let the silicone set up. A 170 with Grams 13 coil guts & Dawson +1 basepad gives me 29 reloadable. 100% & no tuning. Same set up in 2 140's gives me 23. I could fiddle with them for one more round, but I'll take 100% reliability.

Hello: I am using a 140mm STI mag for 9mm right now. It has a 38 Dawson follower, ISMI spring and a standard Dawson base pad. Seems to be working great so far with no spacer. The Dawson follower has a anti tilt feature built into the back of it. I used the mag yesterday with my IDPA loads loaded to 1 140" OAL and they feed fine. Thanks, Eric