Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Bullets out" magazine set ups

Has anyone here transitioned from the traditional method of carrying magazines (i.e., bullets forward) to the "bullets facing out" method?

If so, how was the transition? How are the ergonomics? Did you speed up your reloads or make them more consistent? Or did it make your reloads worse?

I am considering doing this. One advantage that I see is that your mags will take up less real estate on your belt. But I worry that I am giving something up ergonomically.

Edited by Nemesis Lead

I was bullets forward when shooting Production and switch to bullets out when I switched to Single Stack. Less needed space is a plus especially in Single Stack.

I like bullets out better than bullets forward; from the 3'o clock 'till the back of my waist. I set the 1st mag just behind my hip bone, anything forward that it, feels awkward. That's probably because I'm using this funky duty pouch as a competition mag pouch:

p_797000139_1.jpg

But yea if I have money I'll replace that Safariland with yet another bullets out mag pouch. Proper ones like a Ghost or DAA Racer.

I run the ghost bullets out pouches and love it. I shot a few matches when I began shooting bullets forward and then bought a new rig and went bullets out and never looked back. To me it's easier to get to the mag for a reload and it seems more natural. The Ghost pouches are a great price and are extremely durable

I started with bullet nose out, so I cant say anything as far as a transition, but I like it. My speed is what it is because I practice with them. The last mag on my belt is bullet forward. By the time I reach that far around my waist I am getting the same hold on the mag as I would be for the bullet out mags that are closer to the front of my body.

It depends on what mag pouches you use, but in the case of the Ghost pouches they take up the same amount of real estate whether forward or out.

I will say for divisions that allow it, I like a canted mag with bullets forward

When I first started experimenting with the CZ platform, I borrowed a rig from someone who had it set up "bullets out". Not wanting to change somebody else's stuff, I ran it "as-is". Absolutely no problems transitioning and I've run "bullets forward" for over 25 years.

I switched with very little effort and it has helped me. its much easier for me to get a consistent grip on the mags bullets out because im fat and I don't have to get my thumb between the mag and my body to get a good grip on the mag like when I ran them bullets forward. I shoot production

Just made the switch from bullets forward to out. Went with ghost pouches on daa belt. Have not shot any matches with it yet but in dryfire it feels great. Maybe a little faster, I think it feels a little more consistent. Which is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking to make the switch to bullets out. I think I'm going to get just 1 pouch and give it a whirl. Debating between the daa racer and ghost 360. I like the price of the 360s, but it seems like they take up alot of real estate (or close to the same amount as my bullets forward set up now)

i have the racers...A little warning you have to file down the diameter of the screw head to get it to clear the adjustment wheel when mounting bullets out but it does work... easiest way is to put the screw in a drill and then spin it on a file. you have to grind them down pretty far.

Edited by g17drumr

I just started shooting Production and because so many mags are needed, I looked at trying Bullets Out to save space. After a week of dryfire and one match, I think I'm getting the hang of it. I still feel like my wrist is really twisting hard to get to the mags. It doesn't feel as natural and I don't feel as fast yet but I think I can be competitive with it. It just really keeps the mags at a good distance on the belt so by the time you get to the third or fourth mag, you're not reaching into your lower back to get it. When I go back to Open, I will move to Bullets Forward again though.

Just made the switch from bullets forward to out. Went with ghost pouches on daa belt. Have not shot any matches with it yet but in dryfire it feels great. Maybe a little faster, I think it feels a little more consistent. Which is great.

One more thing, was mentioned above. With the ghost pouch there is no noticeable space savings moving to out from forward. They use the same mount for either pouch so it's purely a preference on mag positioning for the draw

"Bullets Out" is not real new. BO was used on the Bianchi Hemisphere rig back in the 90's. That was a popular rig that eventually died out. If BO was a game changer, it probably would not have died. I had one and transitioned to BF and I really don't recall any drama. Any other graybeards want to comment?

One more thing, was mentioned above. With the ghost pouch there is no noticeable space savings moving to out from forward. They use the same mount for either pouch so it's purely a preference on mag positioning for the draw

The base is the same but the pouches are almost twice as long as they are wide so that gives you some more space for fingers to get in between them to retrieve them.

The base is the same but the pouches are almost twice as long as they are wide so that gives you some more space for fingers to get in between them to retrieve them.

Yes you're right on this

Yes you're right on this

Doesn't mean I haven't knocked mag number two out while pulling for number one

I tried it out for a few matches in production and single stack. I liked the idea but found that I would miss the 3rd or 4th mag sometimes and essentially have to grab again for the mag. This would happen mostly on reloads where I was aggressively moving.

Anyone else have this issue when starting? Having my hand run into a mag and grabbing has been more consistent for me with bullets forward.

Probably just a practice thing but I ended up switching back.

I tried it out for a few matches in production and single stack. I liked the idea but found that I would miss the 3rd or 4th mag sometimes and essentially have to grab again for the mag. This would happen mostly on reloads where I was aggressively moving.

Anyone else have this issue when starting? Having my hand run into a mag and grabbing has been more consistent for me with bullets forward.

Probably just a practice thing but I ended up switching back.

I had the same issue - I switched back to bullets forward

I made the switch about 3 months ago, replacing my first 3 mags with Ghosts (bullet out) and keeping 2 Racers (bullets forward) at the back. I felt that the arm angle would be too awkward for the bullets out on the last two mags.

For me, the biggest advantage of the Bullets Out setup is that I can run my index finger all the way to the mag lips - something I couldn't do on the 2nd and 3rd mag change with Bullets Forward.

I love the bullets out configuration . I find that I don't roll or cock my wrist and it's just a more natural feel to me . I use the ghost 360 pouches but I am curious about the DAA pouches myself to save some belt space since I have a small waist . I hear the DAA are quite tedious to set up for bullets out so I'm kind of hesitant lol .

I run the ghost bullets out pouches and love it. I shot a few matches when I began shooting bullets forward and then bought a new rig and went bullets out and never looked back. To me it's easier to get to the mag for a reload and it seems more natural. The Ghost pouches are a great price and are extremely durable

^^This^^

^^This^^

I feel the same way. I went from blade tech teklok to the ghost 360 and I've had much more consistent tension and faster reloads as I can more readily index the magazine from the draw. I'm a big fan and don't plan on going back any time soon.