Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Bullets out" magazine set ups

This is a tangent, but if the goal of a bullet out setup is to help reduce belt space, someone should invent a "magazine for magazines" catering to the comp. market. I understand that a company made someone of that sort for ar15 mags, but that device would really help save belt space and provide a consistent index point for reloads.

This is a tangent, but if the goal of a bullet out setup is to help reduce belt space, someone should invent a "magazine for magazines" catering to the comp. market. I understand that a company made someone of that sort for ar15 mags, but that device would really help save belt space and provide a consistent index point for reloads.

Thats what most revolver shooters use. Basically a moonclip dispenser

they do,

Garret Industries sells the SLMC="Spring Loaded Mag Carrier" http://www.giholsters.com/slmc-model-a/ noting though that the description mentions only single Stack 1911 mags.. But I think a few years ago that garret was making one for AR mags, maybe sales were weak for that one? And frankly I could see why, with the differences in both length and shape between the various capacity AR mags, not to mention mag-body exterior designs ("traditional" aluminum Vs P-Mag, Vs other polymer body designs) a gear maker would have to specify what mags would and would not work with it. and let's face it some folk are down right religious about their chosen AR mag.

Anyway feedback I got about six months ago when I was contemplating the above linked 1911 oriented version as an alternative to the Tuff 8-in-line I've been futzing around with for close to 2 years now, was along the lines of it being good in concept, but that in execution/actual use it's only real advantage over individual pouches is a reduction in belt real estate. And that it has an increased chance of a mag fumble compared to singles

Personally I'd like to re-discover the maker of the six slot, bullets out, kydex pouch (similar to the one Balmo showed in post #2) I came across in 2011. which would amount to a kydex copy of what i'm using now, with better belt attachment.

Edited by Detritus

I'd like to try this method "bullets out" for three gun as belt space is at a premium. Individual pouches are out of the question, are there any double or triple pouches that would not be too much of a hassle to set up on a ELS system? For M&P mags btw.

I'd like to try this method "bullets out" for three gun as belt space is at a premium. Individual pouches are out of the question, are there any double or triple pouches that would not be too much of a hassle to set up on a ELS system? For M&P mags btw.

Safariland makes the 775 slimline Open Top which is a triple, but it looks to be made for their solid duty belts not the ELS type...

I made the switch about 3 months ago, replacing my first 3 mags with Ghosts (bullet out) and keeping 2 Racers (bullets forward) at the back. I felt that the arm angle would be too awkward for the bullets out on the last two mags.

For me, the biggest advantage of the Bullets Out setup is that I can run my index finger all the way to the mag lips - something I couldn't do on the 2nd and 3rd mag change with Bullets Forward.

This is what i found helped me with BO. I can now, consistently, run my finger all the way to the mag lip/bullet nose and get a more consistent grip on each mag. Granted i've only shot one match with them BO and dry fired with them for 2 weeks, but like them a lot. Plus if you dont you can always switch back.

Not legal for production. Each magazine must be contained within its own pouch.

tried BO twice (before switching to the Safariland ELS where you can't save any space) and just couldn't make it work ... I was having to cant my wrist at an ackward angle which was very uncomfortable , not to mention horribly slow so back to BF I went ... not convinced anyone at my same skill level can reload faster then me because of being in BO configuration ...

I am the OP and I just made the switch. After 1 week of dry fire.....I have to say that I really like it. I can get a good, consistent grip on the magazines and I don't have to reach around as far to the back to get the last mags. I am not as proficient as bullets forward yet, but time will tell.

The only downside so far is that there is an increased risk of knocking a mag out (have done this twice) although this may just be a training issue.

Thanks for all the good replies! They factored in heavily to my decision to switch!

Edited by Nemesis Lead

I just like the nemesis RECENTLY made the switch in production to shoot bullets out (literally as of last week). I ended up getting my pouches Wednesday, set them up Thursday, dry fired for a hour Friday and shot a comp Sunday. It was a flawless switch, I shot my best match to date. The reloads felt so smooth, natural, boarder line flawless and just right for me. I did note that the set up is forcing me to reload higher that i had been normally. During the match sunday, I received multiple comments from people applauding my reloads, from both people i knew and people I didn't know, people I've never shot with unknowingly commenting on reloads that I've practiced with for an hour at most.

Lets just say for me.... It's awesome. I love bullets out, after a bit more dry for earlier this week i now feel comfy with my new set up. It feels natural and dare it say it EASIER!!

Edited by jbultman

what mag carriers are everyone using for bullets out? I just picked up a shadow and needed a new set up to fit the magazines. I wen't with the ghost ones because they were the cheapest, but strongly considered DAA racers. When my california ten day waiting periods ends and my package arrives I'll be able to try them out to see which way I like most.

what mag carriers are everyone using for bullets out? I just picked up a shadow and needed a new set up to fit the magazines. I wen't with the ghost ones because they were the cheapest, but strongly considered DAA racers. When my california ten day waiting periods ends and my package arrives I'll be able to try them out to see which way I like most.

Racers.

I shoot open and use the DAA aluminum mag holders. My first mag holder is just to the left of my belly button. it is angled to the left, not straight up and down.

I tried switching that holder to bullet out and I just could not get used to it. I switched back to bullets forward.

People are telling me BO is faster, you don't have to turn your wrist, it's more natural of a movement.

To me going in slow motion when I drop my left hand from my gun to grab a mag, I am slightly turning my left hand and rotating my elbow straight down and my hand goes right onto the mag laying somewhat sideways.

If I'm running BO I have to twist my wrist and elbow MORE to get to the mag and I have to do they same coming back up to slam the mag into the gun.

Maybe it's just me??????