Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where do you haveyour belt overlap?

EDA

Curious to see what other people do:

1. Where do you have your belt overlap (front, back, other)

2. What division do you use this setup for?

For production i have it overlap in the front so my holsters can wrap all the way around the back from my hip without much thickness.

Now that I'm going to try limited, i wonder if I should overlap in the back, to allow the mag pouches to sit up front easily.

Overlap in front: Single Stack, L-10, and sometimes Limited. (I"m primarilly a Single Stack shooter, so the other two are just riffs off my SS setup that I'm accustomed to shooting.)

To be honest, I started with it around back since I plan to use the same belt for multi-gun... but after spending 15 minutes at a match doing a contortinist act trying to dress myself and still not getting it right, I basically just said "F- it" and switched it around to a front closure after that match. The multi-gun matches I'm getting into are shotgun-less, so I'm sticking with my front overlap, dammit. Totally worth it for making my dryfire practice more bearable when I decide to strap on the rig.

If I start shooting shotgun, I'll get another belt and do a rear closure with that one.

Edited by jkrispies

Overlap in back for open, limited, production, and single stack. All of my rigs have either a mag pouch or electrical tape on the front centerline, ensuring the belt is always positioned in the same manner. If you run your equipment close to the division boundaries or want to position your equipment precisely, this is the easiest way to put it were you want it every time.

So i was playing around with an offset front overlap for a Limited setup. I wear a 36 belt and tried the overlap from front just right of midline to approximately 2 o clock. I put my DAA racer holster at the 3 o clock and have the DAA mag holders at 12, 11, 10, 9 o clock. Definitely easier to get on and off compared to overlap in back.

Anyone try this?

Thinking about the "other" option, I could probably change it to affix directly in front of the holster, which could be the best of both worlds... Hhmmmm.......

Edit to Add: EDA, you and I were typing the same thought at the same moment!!!

Edited by jkrispies

Slept on it, and I'm not going to make changes anytime soon, but I'd like to add a few more plates to my ELS in the future to accommodate more frontal positioning. When I do that, I'll switch over to the "other" position described above. I'm a lefty, so that will put my closure at about the 10 to 11 o'clock position. Glad I joined this discussion!!! :cheers:

Just got done setting up a belt for Production. Started out setting it up like the Open/Limited rigs which is in back and very quickly ran out of room for the mags. Switched to front and the real estate opened up nicely.
Open belt has 3 mags - production has 4 and started further back so space is at a premium.

I use a Safariland ELS belt and overlap it on the just past my holster on my right side. Maybe 4:00 to 5:00. I use it for 3 gun.

This allows me to use the whole front for ELS clips and maximize the real estate, and I dont have to struggle putting my belt on, or have a buddy help me!

I left-hand shotgun reload so this works for me

Overlap is in the front for single stack, no belt equipment there.

On the revolver rig I have the overlap just behind the weak side hip. I have a big moon rack in the front, and a smaller one behind the holster on the strong side. I find behind the hip easier to deal with than directly behind me.

I ran the overlap in the front for limited last year. This year I am running it in the back, about the 5 o'clock position. I am liking the overlap in the back much better. I am overlapping the inner belt in the front and the outer in the back, like others have said, it keeps the bulk down to a minimum.

After doing a bunch of dry-fire practice with the 1:00-3:00 outer overlap on the limited rig, I am really liking it. Easy on-off, not bulky. Will now need to try it at the range.