Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lubrication...

rbebeau

The missing question here is how many rounds do you shoot between cleans. If its only a few hundred rounds, then any "oil" type of lube will work and provide proper lubrication over that short duration of shooting. If you want to shoot several thousand rounds between cleans and still maintain proper lubrication you need to use a "Grease" type of lube on the major components, such as the Brian Enos Slide Glide.

Personally I use Slide Glide on the frame, slide, & barrel. Then motor oil on the sear & hammer trigger components. I have gone 5000 rounds with this setup before and the gun was still properly lubricated when I finally cleaned it. But I normally do a full detailed clean & relube every 1000 - 1500 just to keep an eye on how things are wearing.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was sold on Frog Lube till this weekend. When it slows a glock down, its not the answer. 40* weather. The S/A Range officer 9mm would barely run.

I've run my guns below freezing and they are Frog Lubed without any problems

As has been said, over and over and over, just about any oil will work. It just needs to be lubricated. Specialized high dollar lubricants are not necessary.

However, if you think your special lubricant gives you an edge, than, in your mind it probably does.

After firing close to 200K out of centerfire pistols, IME, it just needs oil. 3 in 1 oil will work, as will crankcase oil.

The missing question here is how many rounds do you shoot between cleans. If its only a few hundred rounds, then any "oil" type of lube will work and provide proper lubrication over that short duration of shooting. If you want to shoot several thousand rounds between cleans and still maintain proper lubrication you need to use a "Grease" type of lube on the major components, such as the Brian Enos Slide Glide.

Personally I use Slide Glide on the frame, slide, & barrel. Then motor oil on the sear & hammer trigger components. I have gone 5000 rounds with this setup before and the gun was still properly lubricated when I finally cleaned it. But I normally do a full detailed clean & relube every 1000 - 1500 just to keep an eye on how things are wearing.

+1 for Slide Glide and what Charley P touched on above!

One can relube a pistol without cleaning it. The lube doesn't have to last for 5000 rounds.

One can relube a pistol without cleaning it. The lube doesn't have to last for 5000 rounds.

I'm on board with this program. Every few weeks I lock the slide back and put a drop of oil on the rails and let it slide down into the gun. I use light oils though.

Edited by ArrDave

When I ran out of slide glide, I was using Mobil 1. Went skeet shooting with friends, and remembered my can of SToS I use on the tabs/ejectors of my O/U. It's a lot like slide glide, but it's clear like vasoline. Works like a champ, and stays in place. Haven't decided whether to get another bottle of it or slide glide.

Edited by 818-DVC

When I ran out of slide glide, I was using Mobil 1. Went skeet shooting with friends, and remembered my can of SToS I use on the tabs/ejectors of my O/U. It's a lot like slide glide, but it's clear like vasoline. Works like a champ, and stays in place. Haven't decided whether to get another bottle of it or slide glide.

What is SToS?