Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I was getting ready to say this same thing, I showed the at our Monday practice match, well lets say it opened a few eyes, the RO's were extra careful and double checked behind the walls before the range hot command was given

Edited by fishhunter3

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its London Bridge Action Shooters (Lake Havasu City AZ). They have allot of really old guys there.

May I ask what relevance this statement has?

Because it's true.... Obviously the range visitor could not hear the rounds going off, let alone the make ready command, stand by, beep, With electric ears I swear I can hear the guy loading on the next stage over. But any RO knows that when you are running a walled stage, shoot house, blind house, clearing a house, area behind the house, that the last person off the stage is the RO. Personally I have the score keeper clear myself as the RO off a stage like that. For ROing the Police games, we hold the squad captain responsible for a nose count on a stage like that, if all the shooters are not presented or accounted for, we sweep the area again.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I think it should have been sent to NROI so they could incorporate into the RO training programs (I've done that myself). There was no need to put this in the public domain, now its out there forever.

Trying to get something OFF the internet is like trying to put toothpaste back into the tube which is why it is so important to think of the implications of that decision BEFORE taking action.

Making very hard to seriously consider you for president.

Good point. I don't think secrecy is a good policy for a government or for a sports governing body.

The major issue I see in this situation seems to be a growing trend. That issue is the continued increase of a Consumerism mentality with shooters attending matches. I started shooting USPSA matches in 2008 and from then until now this Consumerism mentality has only gotten worse. Far too many shooters attend matches with zero motivation to actually make the match happen. They feel entitled to stand around and talk with their buddies waiting for their turn to shoot instead of actually working to make the match happen. They expect the few volunteers on the squad to 100% cater to them simply because they paid an entry fee, as if the volunteers didn’t pay an entry fee as well. When you have these kind of people attending matches it’s a cancer that breeds inattentiveness and leads to events like what happened in that video.

If you are attending a USPSA match and think that you DON’T have a vested interest or responsibility in ensuring that the match will happen efficiently, fairly and most important safely then you are gravely mistaken. EVERYONE attending the match needs to be on board with ensuring that these matches happen properly. If you are not willing to do that, then please find a new hobby because your inattention can result in tragic consequences. We are playing a game with lethal equipment that requires vigilant attention and accountability for all involved. Shape up or Ship out!!!

Its London Bridge Action Shooters (Lake Havasu City AZ). They have allot of really old guys there.

Must be safe if they lasted so long!

The major issue I see in this situation seems to be a growing trend. That issue is the continued increase of a Consumerism mentality with shooters attending matches. I started shooting USPSA matches in 2008 and from then until now this Consumerism mentality has only gotten worse. Far too many shooters attend matches with zero motivation to actually make the match happen. They feel entitled to stand around and talk with their buddies waiting for their turn to shoot instead of actually working to make the match happen. They expect the few volunteers on the squad to 100% cater to them simply because they paid an entry fee, as if the volunteers didn’t pay an entry fee as well. When you have these kind of people attending matches it’s a cancer that breeds inattentiveness and leads to events like what happened in that video.

If you are attending a USPSA match and think that you DON’T have a vested interest or responsibility in ensuring that the match will happen efficiently, fairly and most important safely then you are gravely mistaken. EVERYONE attending the match needs to be on board with ensuring that these matches happen properly. If you are not willing to do that, then please find a new hobby because your inattention can result in tragic consequences. We are playing a game with lethal equipment that requires vigilant attention and accountability for all involved. Shape up or Ship out!!!

Our club, just as many others on here describe have our share of takers. Just a few dedicated guys help set up the match, and you want to be sure youre clear as soon as the last shot is fired or you could get run over by the exiting cars. Its a virus hard to kill or eradicate but there have been three times over the past twelve months that the Match Director would not set up the match till a proper number of guts were there to help. We would stop a match cold if the members of each squad did nothing, and if stage teardown was way over reasonable time then we just slowed don posting results etc. Most all he got the message, but we still have a few, and reminders are required.

My opinion only, and not a humble one at that.

Would like to here from the Lake Havasu guys who where there on the squad. They know it's on all the forums.

On the separate issue of the guys who think the match is there for them, you now the ones who want to be baby sat, and do nothing.... Well you are there for the match, not the other way around. It's always a few dedicated guys at every club who make it happen. So jump in and help out.

Must be safe if they lasted so long!

Good point! :D

You can trust 9x45 on age matters. He has first-hand experience ;)

Thank you Chuck, although I believe you are the Senior member of the squad. Yes, you are actually 9 months older than I am, but you are 9 months ahead of me on the rules! See you Saturday... My next avatar will be in the cockpit of a Sheriffs helicopter, with my Glock.

Hey some times a long day of shooting gets to us but if your ROing then you need to check the range before you give the load command. Ive never been to the RO class and I'm not sure if that is his duty, but it should be. This video should be left up for training purposes. We could tell a story of, "this one time..." But this video makes it more of a point to people how important it is to check. Thank you for posting sarge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey some times a long day of shooting gets to us but if your ROing then you need to check the range before you give the load command. Ive never been to the RO class and I'm not sure if that is his duty, but it should be. This video should be left up for training purposes. We could tell a story of, "this one time..." But this video makes it more of a point to people how important it is to check. Thank you for posting sarge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An RO's job is stage management which includes, but is not limited to, making sure no non-targets get perforated.

London Bridge Action Shooters
March 24 at 1:50pm ·

As many of you know by now, we experienced a very serious safety incident at our last match. A shooter was allowed to make ready and begin shooting a stage, while a person was still downrange. Fortunately, the person was spotted, the shooter stopped, and the incident concluded with no one being hurt or worse. This was the first of any such safety incident in our club's history of holding matches for over 12 years.

The primary fault naturally lies with a complacent RO, who did not make the extra effort to verify that the course of fire (with particularly poor visibility) was clear before starting the next shooter. Lesson: don't pick up the clock unless you are prepared to perform the duties of the RO with the seriousness and thoroughness that the job requires. If you need help, ask for it.

The secondary fault lies with the person picking brass, who was completely unaware that the other stage resetters had long since exited the stage, and that he was completely alone on the stage. Lesson: brass pickers who repeatedly linger on the course of fire past the time required to reset the stage targets will be denied the right to pick brass until after the squad is completely finished shooting the stage. PAY ATTENTION to when you need to leave the stage along with the target resetters. This is a constant source of RO aggravation with brassers, and it will not be tolerated any longer.

And finally to a much lessor degree but worthy of discussion, ALL shooters must have their heads in the game, even if they're not the shooter, RO or scorekeeper. This is live fire after all. We all should recognize that a stage has poor visibility or an RO is being less-than-diligent and do what we can to improve the situation - an extra set of eyes, a cautionary suggestion. There are not enough people who routinely shoulder this burden. Everyone needs to be involved.

Comment: No one should be allowed to pick up brass UNTIL the entire squad is finished anyway.