Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice if we all could refrain from bashing the RO and club etc. This is the best instructional video I have seen in a looooong time. Always check your stage fellas!

I wonder if the owners of that range are aware of this incident and what the repercussions may be when/if they find out.

All I can say is, I was in a back and forth email exchange with Troy earlier today regarding a rules question when his end went dead. I'm sure he is knee deep in the situation by now! A quick blurb on FB said he was "on it". I'll try to get back to him later this week.

I think the correct way of dealing with this event would be to have sent the video to NROI for them to review and take action to help prevent it from happening again.

In my opinion posting it for the whole world to see does a disservice to this organization.

I think the correct way of dealing with this event would be to have sent the video to NROI for them to review and take action to help prevent it from happening again.

In my opinion posting it for the whole world to see does a disservice to this organization.

That may be true but you must know that in this day and age that just isn't realistic. When I got home at about 4pm I saw a small mention of it and when I went snooping around it was everywhere like wildfire. I would imagine this was uploaded immediately after it happened while still on the range as I'm assuming it happened this weekend if not today.

As for the whole world seeing it? I don't know about that. Maybe.... But if one RO sees it who has a habit of not checking his stages before running the next shooter, and it breaks him of that habit, that's a good thing.

… and some board member of a gun club who doesn't want USPSA matches at his club uses this as a way of convincing the rest of that club's BOD to stop hosting USPSA matches, would that be good too ?

No. But that would be a stretch. I could see a club asking the MD to make sure his RO's know what they are doing and possibly not allowing this particular person to RO in the future.

Paul,

I'm not sure I agree -- unless you were planning on hosting the video on the USPSA servers for all members and ROs to watch.

But ultimately any action is up to the copyright holder......

As far as for the whole world to see -- nobody got shot, fortunately. The shooter stopped himself and got a Stop command from the RO as soon as the RO was aware. I'd love it if we were all perfect, but this topic needs to be discussed and widely.

I've been on both ends of it -- as a new and inexperienced RO I once gave the "Load and Make Ready" command while I still had a shooter pasting targets -- fortunately loud enough for him to immediately yell "Stop, man downrange" -- and a couple of years later I had an RO issue the command to me, at a Sectional or Area match when there were still tapers downrange.

As a result, if I'm RO ing a stage now with vision barriers, I devise a plan for ensuring that there's no one downrange -- and if I'm the competitor, I actually make sure the stage is clear before reporting to the start position....

And keep it all hush-hush like everything else? I will admit that this video may/will get some unwanted negative attention for the organization and the members, but this is a very big teaching moment. We need to use these moments as they are very, very rare with USPSA's safety record.

Global social media and instant access to uploaded content makes the world smaller, for better or worse. The worst thing to do is to try keep it under wraps. It is true this could have ended far worse than it appears in the video. There is no reason not to inform the membership of a serious safety incident and that it is being investigated and that a review of range safety procedures will be completed.

People who want to be ROs as well as others need to see something like this to remind us all of the potential consequences of failing to adhere to a strict standard of safety.

… and some board member of a gun club who doesn't want USPSA matches at his club uses this as a way of convincing the rest of that club's BOD to stop hosting USPSA matches, would that be good too ?

Having had contentious conversations with a board that was not looking at USPSA all that favorably when I became match director, if that happens, we had a weak match director. Being the MD includes being able to have the difficult conversations with the Club BOD.

If this had happened during my tenure, you can be sure I would have discussed it with the BOD immediately, including my plans to prevent recurrence.

Suggesting that we sweep it under the rug is a surefire approach to getting a club's BOD to not trust that we can run matches safely on their range. The cover up is always worse than the crime.

Hopefully its not just an RO/MD lashing. There is much to learn and teach here. I'm reminded of air traffic "near misses" and how they are investigated. I hope that not only the RO and MD reflect on events but Range BoD or owner, possibly USPSA, or NROI also. Like an air traffic near miss. This can NEVER happen again. Any less attitude could be dangerous for all who enjoy these sorts of events. A USPSA match is still a very safe place to be. There are statistically many other places far more dangerous than a USPSA range. We need to keep it that way.

While I can understand the discussion regarding this video and the feelings of those that have chosen to post those feelings I believe this video does serve a purpose. I believe that while the ultimate responsibility is on the RO, it is the responsibility of every shooter on the range to police the stage and avoid this situation from ever happening. The outcome could have been terrible for all involved and thankfully it wasn't. When I am shooting a match my attention is always on the shooter and the stage. I want to make certain the stage is cleared and I want to know where the shooter is going at all times.

One of the questions that needs to be asked is "where was the rest of the squad"?

Why was he the only one taping?

Looks like taping is done, brass is being picked... video is low quality but you typically don't tape targets from behind them with your back to them.

Glad everyone is safe- very fortunate that despite all of the things that went wrong nobody was injured. I know the guys I squad with are talking about it- and improving habits at the local level is a plus for the sport.

Edited by MikeRush

This video drives home a point I was taught two weeks. It was my first time RO'ing most of a squad. There was a vision barrier on the stage so I counted heads and called out as a double check.

The range master said hold up and walked downrange anyways. Looks like he made the right call after seeing this video.

I will always check now as the RO and I always look downrange and around before beginning a string.

With 22,000+ views in the first day, that video is now part of the public domain... it's not going anywhere. Not to mention the fact that downloading and making a copy of a YouTube video is literally child's play so taking it off YouTube wouldn't help much at this point.