Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This is a good example of many layers of safety all failing at the same time. Hopefully this event will be a good learning lesson for everyone involved.

If I was the shooter trapped down range in this situation the aftermath wouldn't be pretty for everyone involved.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the shooting community should police it's own.

I also think that there is an outward image that is presented to John Q Public that we are ALL responsible for.

There must be some middle ground between "swept under the rug" and "airing our dirty laundry to outsiders".

Posting that video on youtube was a bad idea.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I think it should have been sent to NROI so they could incorporate into the RO training programs (I've done that myself). There was no need to put this in the public domain, now its out there forever.

Trying to get something OFF the internet is like trying to put toothpaste back into the tube which is why it is so important to think of the implications of that decision BEFORE taking action.

Edited by BritinUSA

I disagree on not posting the video, a lot of things went wrong, someone could have been killed or at the very least, badly injured. Of all the matches every year, all the competitors, and the thousands of rounds fired, how many times has someone been injured or killed? That is the point that needs to be made, not, OH MY GOD THOSE RED NECK GUN NUTS ALMOST KILLED SOMEONE.

Censorship is most certainly the answer.......

I still have my tinfoil hat on and am not totally convinced it's legit. In searching I've found no threads about who was there or where it was or anything. Seems counter to how other events usually go. It popped up, we all freak out. Who took the video? How about some facts rather than opinions?

I'm glad that no one was injured during this incident. USPSA is a very safe sport and has effective safeguards built into the stage procedures. This was just a mistake that happened and we all need to learn from this when we are acting as the RO. As far as this video being out to the public, it happened. We all need to own it and be good ambassadors of USPSA when explaining this incident.

I still have my tinfoil hat on and am not totally convinced it's legit. In searching I've found no threads about who was there or where it was or anything. Seems counter to how other events usually go. It popped up, we all freak out. Who took the video? How about some facts rather than opinions?

Oh its legit. No doubt..

Yeah, I noticed waktasz was the one who started the thread on that other forum, which the video appears to be posted on his youtube channel, but he is eye searingly absent from this thread here.

gvDdF.gif

Is this your comment:

... I am currently unaware of any fatalities that have occurred as a result of gunfire in the 40+ year history ....

Well, actually, there was some incident at an IPSC match in Texas I think it was, in the 1990's I think.

This particular range had a bay or bays set up with wooden baffles. On the other side of the back berm was their indoor range.

Some state cop dropped his son off inside the indoor range. I think the state cop went snd shot the IPSC match. The kid might have been shooting a 3 position small bore match.

Somebody at the IPSC match inadvertently fired off a round, went through one wooden baffle, through the gable end wall of the indoor range, through the attic, down through the ceiling, and struck the kid in the side of the head as he was sitting in a chair. He killed him.

The computer modeling experts at the trial were able to show how the bullet traveled. The bullet was a cast lead one with say red rooster lube in its groove. So they were able to recover the bullet from the kid's head and match it up to the rest of the bullets whatever Joe Shooter had in his gun.

I only know about this incident because it was some discovery channel show.

This video should be taken down immediately and this thread should be completely deleted.

I couldn't disagree more. This video should be shown to every RO class and it should be a part of the annual RO exam, much like the accident videos they show high school kids in drivers class.

Everyone who holds a timer or a clipboard should see this. Everyone who shoots this sport should see it and understand that this sort of thing can happen.

USPSA should take this to heart and make "Range is Hot" a part of the official commands, before "Make Ready".

Edited by Graham Smith

@ sinistralrifleman, I have posted about it here before. It probably came up in one of those threads where the home range was instituting their rule of no mag changes like this:

JerryBarnahrt.jpg

I think somebody from that area in Texas chimed in on that thread.

EDIT: yeah, I would agree with you that the range layout/design was the main contributing factor.

Edited by Chills1994

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I think it should have been sent to NROI so they could incorporate into the RO training programs (I've done that myself). There was no need to put this in the public domain, now its out there forever.

Trying to get something OFF the internet is like trying to put toothpaste back into the tube which is why it is so important to think of the implications of that decision BEFORE taking action.

While I understand where you're coming from, I don't agree with you. The value of that video being in the public domain is already proving to be immense. Many people in our shooting community have seen it and have walked away with a sobering reality check. I can be certain when I say that anyone that has watched that video is going to be extra vigilant on checking down range behind barriers before issuing the Make Ready command. I can also guarantee that even those in the peanut gallery will be scanning downrange as well.

Let's say this incident happened years ago and was submitted to NROI as you are advocating. Would it have done this RO any good, as he is not a certified RO? Would NROI's response to this video reached the average USPSA shooter that isn't RO certified? What percentage of our shooting community has contact with NROI? What percentage of our shooting community has access to youtube?

I appreciate your concern of the sensitivity of this event, however, I feel that an embarrassing black eye like this is worth it if it prevents it from happening even one more time.

Edited by d_striker

This video should be taken down immediately and this thread should be completely deleted.

I couldn't disagree more. This video should be shown to every RO class and it should be a part of the annual RO exam, much like the accident videos they show high school kids in drivers class.

Everyone who holds a timer or a clipboard should see this. Everyone who shoots this sport should see it and understand that this sort of thing can happen.

USPSA should take this to heart and make "Range is Hot" a part of the official commands, before "Make Ready".

If he didn't hear make ready and all the shooting why would he hear range is hot?

I think the correct way of dealing with this event would be to have sent the video to NROI for them to review and take action to help prevent it from happening again.

In my opinion posting it for the whole world to see does a disservice to this organization.

And keep it all hush-hush like everything else? I will admit that this video may/will get some unwanted negative attention for the organization and the members, but this is a very big teaching moment. We need to use these moments as they are very, very rare with USPSA's safety record.

Global social media and instant access to uploaded content makes the world smaller, for better or worse. The worst thing to do is to try keep it under wraps. It is true this could have ended far worse than it appears in the video. There is no reason not to inform the membership of a serious safety incident and that it is being investigated and that a review of range safety procedures will be completed.

People who want to be ROs as well as others need to see something like this to remind us all of the potential consequences of failing to adhere to a strict standard of safety.

Yes I think its easy for RO's to get relaxed in doing this job over and over. But everyone on that stage should also be aware and looking out for one another as well as yourself.

Making very hard to seriously consider you for president.

Not everyone wants to be an RO (so they won't see this video if it kept hidden except to only a few select people), but everyone wants to go home at the end of the day. There is a need to remind people of the dangers of not following protocol and safety procedures and that danger is very real and permanent. Yes, USPSA may take a hit, but with the correct actions, this will be a non-issue for gun-control people and the local gun-club fudds who hate the idea of running with a firearm.