Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no love for ACOGs?

tyger

Be lurking for a while and I don't really see anyone using them. For my low power Scopes, I have an ACOG 3.5, Leupold VX-R 1.5-4, and an AuccPoint 1-4. In my experience, the ACOG has a better FOV, Clearer, and a more forgiving eye relief. Is it the magnification?

I don't shoot action rifle competitively, but playing at the range shooting with both eyes open I don't even notice the magnification while swinging to a close target until the rifle stops moving...

If you did shoot competitively, and tried both a 3x mag and a 1x mag, you would instantly notice the difference.

Don't know about a 3.5 ACOG. Must be a Mini The regular ACOG-They're 4x. Great glass, great scopes but for 0-30 yds probably use your knuckle or a NSNTA01 with the little iron sight on it. Knuckle is better

Don't know about a 3.5 ACOG. Must be a Mini The regular ACOG-They're 4x. Great glass, great scopes but for 0-30 yds probably use your knuckle or a NSNTA01 with the little iron sight on it. Knuckle is better

Yes, you were right. It is a 4X

Jadeslade the TA-11 is a 3.5 power scope. As far as I'm concerned it is one of the best 3-gun scopes made. I don't have a dominant eye and I can shoot it up close as fast as a red dot. They aren't for everyone, but it is a great scope. The doughnut retical is the best retical ever designed for what we do and ask of our carbines in my opinion.

Edited by kurtm

Jadeslade the TA-11 is a 3.5 power scope. As far as I'm concerned it is one of the best 3-gun scopes made. I don't have a dominant eye and I can shoot it up close as fast as a red dot. They aren't for everyone, but it is a great scope. The doughnut retical is the best retical ever designed for what we do and ask of our carbines in my opinion.

Yeah I forgot about the TA-11, I haven't used an ACOG for about 5 years, but I loved my TA01, but it was part of deal to get my car payments down a 150 bucks a month on top of a Sabre M4. Great gun great deal.. I agree with you. If I knew I was going to have eye surgery and would see better than I ever have, I would have kept it. ACOG's, although I haven't seen new ones, are great glass and like Kurt says, you can use them at any distance. I needed an adjustable eyepiece, so I switched to TR24. If I was starting over I might go with a stock M4 and a 4x ACOG. I suspect KurtM has the time under the gun and knows where it hits, which what it's all about. Practice and knowing your gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I used a TA-33 for a couple of years. It was a great optic especially if you consider how small and lightweight it was.

I went to a 1-6 and found the added magnification to be very welcome on steel out at 400 yards and beyond. I don't think I could go back to the ACOG now for 3-gun.

If you have one, go ahead and use it. But if you are buying I think you will be happier with a variable so long as it has a good reticle.

Having experience with a TA31F 4x ACOG and loved it, its hard to ignore that fixed power scopes aren't ideal for 3 Gun. (At least as far as I have seen)

A 1-4x or 1-6x variable power scope is going to offer more shooting options and flexibility which comes in handy depending on the course of fire.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Aren't those ACOGS pretty heavy too? I mean relative to the sport. One of my shooting buddies just built a (less than) 6 lb AR, and it shoots like a dream. He did a lot of homework and testing to get the weight down and still have it shoot extremely quick second shots. I didn't think it would work. But it is as soft shooting as any of our match rifles, and some of us have spent thousands getting our race guns to shoot like Jerry's.

I thought I heard the ACOGS are like 3.5 lbs? That's a lot, especially if you have a 6lb rifle!

Aren't those ACOGS pretty heavy too? I mean relative to the sport. One of my shooting buddies just built a (less than) 6 lb AR, and it shoots like a dream. He did a lot of homework and testing to get the weight down and still have it shoot extremely quick second shots. I didn't think it would work. But it is as soft shooting as any of our match rifles, and some of us have spent thousands getting our race guns to shoot like Jerry's.

I thought I heard the ACOGS are like 3.5 lbs? That's a lot, especially if you have a 6lb rifle!

they aren't near that heavy! I have a vcog which is heavier than an agoc and its only like 24oz