Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

the right 9mm?

mysteryman

Am thinking about 1st 9mm for steel challenge matches. Concerned about right gun for use with cheapo or reman ammo. I don't reload so will likeley purchase online or auction sites. Thanks!

Since I cannot figure out how to reply to all the response posts let me say thanks to all who responded. Makes my decision more informed.

Edited by mysteryman

Several guns would work fine, given the ammo is reliable, but I'd take a look at the Glock 34 or the M&P. You should also think about where you want to go with the sport. If you get hooked, you'll likely buy several. If you haven't already, shoot a few guns first. I've not had problems with my various guns shooting various factory ammo, personal reloads and commercial reloads, but you should know something of the ammo's pedigree. Most shooters will be happy to let you shoot their guns and will be more than willing to tell you about their trials and tribulations. This is an expensive sport and I'd recommend trying out equipment before you buy. Best of luck!

Personally, I like the Springfield XDm 5.25. It's great, very reliable and is not picky about the ammo used. Using Powder River or other suppliers you can modify the gun to fit you. I've shot thousands of rounds and would buy another in a heart beat.

I agree that there are a lot of choices, and the more pistols from different manufacturers you are able to shoot before you make the purchase, the more likely you will be able to make an informed choice. Very hard to argue with a Glock G34 as a starting point, though. Nothing wrong wit the G17, either, although you are more likely going to want different than OEM sights on that pistol.

A nice 9mm for shooting steel is a EAA Witness Match made by Tanfoglio. Its heavy which is nice for recoil when shooting the steel but its over weight if you plan on using it for IDPA also. I have yet to have a malfunction in either of mine since I put an extended fire pin in one.

I started steel challange 3 years ago with a service xd9. Midway through the season bought the xdm 5.25 9mm.shot factory ammo the first year the started reloading. Second year tried a glock 34 but for me the xdm just felt better to me. Been shooting it ever since for steel and 3gun. Probably somewhere around 10k rounds down the barrel never have had an issue.

I started steel challange 3 years ago with a service xd9. Midway through the season bought the xdm 5.25 9mm.shot factory ammo the first year the started reloading. Second year tried a glock 34 but for me the xdm just felt better to me. Been shooting it ever since for steel and 3gun. Probably somewhere around 10k rounds down the barrel never have had an issue.

Another vote for the 5.25. I don't often shoot Production, but when I do it's with an XDM 5.25 9mm. :cheers:

9x19: CZ75 and EAA Witness. Both are the most accurate 9x19s I have ever fired.

First, the gun has to fit you and point at the target in your most comfortable grip. I find the severe grip angle on Glocks makes me cock my wrist down and my arthritis start to really complain very fast (and yet, the Luger P-08 doesn't bother my wrist at all).

I haven't shoot one, but for feel, the Springfield Xdm 5.25 feels very good and I would buy one immediately if I could afford anything right now.

I started with an XDm 4.5". I quickly moved up to the XDm 5.25. I feel it is a great all around gun. It has a lightened slide and fiber optic front site. It also comes with 3 high capacity magazines from the factory. It is a pretty good bargain for the price. I hadn't really shot a gun with fiber optic sights until that one. I had always had the guns double as duty/defense guns so always went with night sights. I was amazed how much better the fo sights are for competition. Nothing but those on my competition guns.

The best advice anyone gave me was to find a gun that YOU like, that YOU are comfortable with. The best gun is the one that you enjoy shooting.

I started with a Glock 19 because that's what I had, and wasn't going to buy a new gun until I saw some more things and tried some more things for myself. Went to the XDM 5.25 for a while and liked it a lot, but then the CZ 75 Shadow after trying it out and concluding that for me it was a step up. Still have no qualms about shooting the XDM. With the 19rd mags I've even shot Limited with it a few times, just for the fun of it.

Glock 34 or the XDM 5.25. Just be aware that if you start reloading you'll have the added expense of swapping out the barrel in the Glock (unless you're like several of my friends who just "chance it" and claim they don't have leading issues with the polygonal rifling...

Glock 34 or the XDM 5.25. Just be aware that if you start reloading you'll have the added expense of swapping out the barrel in the Glock (unless you're like several of my friends who just "chance it" and claim they don't have leading issues with the polygonal rifling...

What are the issues with polygonal rifling? I've never heard of that before you mentioned it.

• 11 months later...

>I'm a Springfield guy. The grip angle of the Glock is just unnaturally canted in my opinion

+1.

When trying guns, try this. Close your eyes, pick up the gun, aim at the target and open your eyes.

For me, a 1911, a CZ-75/High Power and clones, and Xdm are pointing at the target and Glock is pointing at the ceiling at about a 30-45° angle. For some odd reason,I don't have this same issue with a P-08 (Luger)—it points up at about a 10° angle and feels GOOD in my hand. I have had arthritis in my wrists since I was 30 and a Glock and many of the European target guns hurt due to having to cock my wrist to bring the front sight down.

There is NO best gun for everyone--we really are ALL difference.

I think a big question that hasn't been asked here; what's your budget? If you've got a meager budget, any of the plastic fantastics should treat you well, with my vote being a Springer XDm, I have one, love it, would buy another one and am thinking about doing just that. If you've got a bigger budget, 2011 is the way to go. You can find many many good deals here on BE on a nice used 2011 in one of the many variations available, with the upside of having already been broken in and tuned. Basically, parroting many of the responses, get what fits you and you can shoot well, if you have the option to try before you buy.

I think a big question that hasn't been asked here; what's your budget? If you've got a meager budget, any of the plastic fantastics should treat you well, with my vote being a Springer XDm, I have one, love it, would buy another one and am thinking about doing just that. If you've got a bigger budget, 2011 is the way to go. You can find many many good deals here on BE on a nice used 2011 in one of the many variations available, with the upside of having already been broken in and tuned. Basically, parroting many of the responses, get what fits you and you can shoot well, if you have the option to try before you buy.

C'mon, we were talking about guns. Why did you have to go and bring money into this? ;)