Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 or 650 or Hornaday Ammo Plant

bovine5088

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 550-B case feeder won't accommodate all rifle calibers, so that one is pretty much out. I bleed "Dillon Blue" so take this for what it's worth.........get the 650 and don't look back!

Just my $.02

Alan~^~

Welcome to the forums. If you want to do a lot of rifle with a case feeder than the 650 is your choice.

First look at Brian's store. Lots of info there to help you with your decision.Try out the F&Q section ...http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html#550650

Next, try the Forum's search. Here's some examples...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148410&page=3&hl=%2Bwhich+%2Bdillon+%2Bpress#entry1997613

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=205075&page=2&hl=%2Bwhich+%2Bdillon+%2Bpress#entry2278153

I'm happy with my Hornady. Do you shoot so much rifle that you need to be able to load all 5 on the progressive? I only load the 9 and 40 on my lnl. 44 mag and rifle on the single stage because I shoot them way less

I've been happy with my red press - but it is fairly new and a lot of the issues that folks have reported in the past aren't present on mine. I got it piece meal - the press from the bargain cave at the box store and used it for a while 'plain' - the case feeder about 8 months later (Christmas present - thanks babe!) and am feeding bullets using the bullet feed die and some thin wall steel tube. Maybe I'll get a bullet feeder next year - maybe not. If I had the cash up front - I likely would have gotten a 650 instead. I think I have 575 in the LnL with the case feeder set up to load 9mm, 40 S&W and .223.

As it is - I'll keep it and get a 1050 when I hit the lotto. Or get really gooder at shooting stuff and can justify one of everything...

I am a fan of the Hornady L-N-L AP; however, when throwing in a case feeder/collator, I would go to the 650. The 650 has years of using a case collator and there have been bullet feeders for it for at least two decades.

The 550 is, to me, a crippled AP. Only four die stations and no auto-index means that it isn't a press I would "waste" money on.

Get the 650 and be happy.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this is funny.

I you want to hear more opinions about the 'red' presses

you may be required to post and read at a different forum.

many years ago

I friend I trust said to me

"If you ever take up re-loading...

I run a dillon press and all the competitors I know use dillon.

there is a reason."

he went on with a grin,

get anything else and run it, then save up and get a dillon

that way you will appreciate what you have...

... the rat bastard was right...

from your post, I think the 650 is the press.

luck

miranda

how did I misspell my name?!?

Edited by Miranda

I don't know how to sell you on a 650.... From Brian.....35K rounds...sure have had some problems along the way....but the Dillon Guys and figuring stuff out by thinking about them.....I'm absolutely satisfied!!!!!!..... The more rounds I load the more I'm amazed what an incredible tool it is...... Just sayin'

Dillon fan here! Trust me the no B.S. Lifetime warranty is the best.I bought a square deal in around 1990 loaded hundred of thousand rounds last week the primer slide plastic housing that keeps the primer slide aligned broke in half it was a plastic part.I was trying to find a replacement on the square deal b schematic and it wasn't showing so I called Dillion .They told me they changed the design and the part wasn't available but they would send me a replacement part 3 days later I had a whole new primer assembly.Had a primer alarm that was cracked ,yep they replaced it and also the follower rod to it the dog grabbed it off my bench and chewed the end I explained what happened to the rod guess what no charge.Im ordering a 650 in July for my 60th birthday.some on also said the 550 was a crippled ap lol but if I could only afford one press for both rifle and pistol I would be buying a 550 for sure!

Another vote for Dillon here. 650 has been great for me but also used a 550 that got the job done until I started reloading more and more...and more.

I'm sure others can recommend more but if you do go blue check out Inline Fabrication and Uniquetek for some upgrades to the machine. I personally am a fan of the Ergo handle and mount from Inline Fab and the micrometer powder bar kit and toolhead clamp from Uniquetek.

Another vote for Dillon here. 650 has been great for me but also used a 550 that got the job done until I started reloading more and more...and more.

I'm sure others can recommend more but if you do go blue check out Inline Fabrication and Uniquetek for some upgrades to the machine. I personally am a fan of the Ergo handle and mount from Inline Fab and the micrometer powder bar kit and toolhead clamp from Uniquetek.

You might give the lee auto drum a look I've never seen more consistent drops and I definatatly love blue.