Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To use a Thumb Rest or No thumb rest

jetdriver71

So I've noticed some of the top shooters use thumb rests. I've ordered one on my SV open build but I've had no experience with them. Thought I'd give a try. I suppose if it doesn't help me I'll get rid of it. Not sure if SV has their own design or if they use something else.

What's "y'alls" opinions. Also if anyone has pics of a newer SV with a thumb rest would be great.

Works for some and not for others. For me it makes a nice way to quickly index my weak hand grip (hand wedged between magwell and trigger guard and thumb up on the rest).

It's easy to take on and off to see what you like. I'm pretty sure svi make their own thumb rest.

I like my thumb rest. I shot a shorty and I have noticed that the dot has become a lot more stable with it. I was concerned about spending money on something that would not help my shooting so I bought the arredondo for $25. That is the best money I have spent in along time on shooting accessories.

Use it as a rest. Too much pressure and you can steer the gun in unwanted directions. I don't use one but my wife does. It's a great index point. When I shoot her gun if I have too much pressure on the pedal the dot really dances in a Z like pattern. If I relax the pressure it tracks straight up and down.

I'm a fan of thumb rests, but you may want to consider your hand placement before buying one. There are a number of different angles (ranging from horizontal to vertical) and offsets (near the frame or near the optic) available on the market. If possible try out a buddies setup to see if it feels right. I wouldn't be too concerned about the manufacturer as long as it fits your grip.

Cool thanks. Any SV drivers out there with pics of a recent build with thumb rest? Thx

Go to the open gun gallery . There are several guns of all makes with most known thumb rests installed

I use a thumb rest, I have for years. I switched over after trying a friends gun. I think the thumb rest helps me make a better grip on the gun. I do not push down on it with my thumb. I have a friend that uses one and he uses a lot of pressure on his.

When I switch over to shooting my G22 work gun I do not miss having the rest on there.

I use a thumb rest, I have for years. I switched over after trying a friends gun. I think the thumb rest helps me make a better grip on the gun. I do not push down on it with my thumb. I have a friend that uses one and he uses a lot of pressure on his.

When I switch over to shooting my G22 work gun I do not miss having the rest on there.

That's probably because you use the work gun a lot more than I use anything else. When I switch to a production gun once a year maybe, my thumb is just out there sticking up looking for the rest! lol

I think there's more to be gained in Open with a thumb rest, compared to the other divisions. Recoil is mostly straight back, and hit factors are so high that you must trigger the gun faster than the other divisions. A good rest can help anchor the gun in all 3 directions using mostly the support hand, and allows the strong hand to relax more. I made my own. There are tons of threads on this topic if you search.

post-354-0-69232700-1423252092_thumb.jpg

I think there's more to be gained in Open with a thumb rest, compared to the other divisions. Recoil is mostly straight back, and hit factors are so high that you must trigger the gun faster than the other divisions. A good rest can help anchor the gun in all 3 directions using mostly the support hand, and allows the strong hand to relax more. I made my own. There are tons of threads on this topic if you search.

Open RTS thumbrest.jpg

This style seems to me to be the most practical. It still allows your thumb to point forward but served it's purpose...lets you rest your thumb on it. I tried the go gun and did not like how my thumb was way up in the air. Didn't feel natural. I didn't want to get used to it and grab my limited gun and have that feel foreign so I got rid of it. Switched to a cmore mount with a little pad sticking off the bottom of it and feels much more natural. My .02

Ordered this thumb rest today from IPSCALEX for my .40 Gold Team. Looking at the pictures, I think it will be in the perfect position for my thumb. I just need something to reference off of. Will probably do some trimming on it.

post-24489-0-48246200-1423706142_thumb.j

I like the Arredondo also. I have tried numerous ones on either mine or other people's guns and didn't like any of them. But I guess thumb rest/pedals is like spaghetti sauce, each one has their favorite.

post-33712-0-38754700-1423715462_thumb.j