Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Load 6 / Load Six

Moltke

I've been practicing load 2...my hands aren't big enough for quads much less 6.

You're wrong. I'm willing to bet you my hands are smaller than yours. All it takes is practice and some blood on the outside.

I've been practicing load 2...my hands aren't big enough for quads much less 6.

You're wrong. I'm willing to bet you my hands are smaller than yours. All it takes is practice and some blood on the outside.

Hand size has less to do with than dexterity. I have enough arthritis in my fingers that, while I can grab 4, 2 sit in the hollow of my hand resulting in an angle of about 120 degrees. The shells do not end up in a useful position to be inserted in the gun. I think that after a month of working with it, I actually got a total of 2 loads to work.

It sucks getting older, but it beats the alternative.

So, I tried it twice. Just messing around loading off of the table it was a little awkward but I images to get 10/12 or so in the gun. Before I got quad load carriers I practiced off of the table and found it a bit awkward too but upon getting carriers it seemed much more nature and less fumble prone. I theorized the same would hold true for the hex load; it did not.

I was first in line to buy a hex load and immediately went to work testing loading with my shotgun. It was a disaster. When I grabbed the shells our or the carrier it never felt like I could get a good hold on them. It was like they were oriented wrong in my hand and I couldn't get to where I could reliably isolate one pair to get it in the gun. I had much better success grabbing 6 off of the table but even then you have to slow down so much that it's going to be perhaps slower than loading 8 with two clean quad loads.

As much as it wanted it to work and wanted to be the first cool kid to load this way it simply was a non-starter.

Still, I respected the company who made the carriers and didn't want to be the first guy to declare defeat so I decided to see what others had to say about it before sharing my negative experience.

On the same day that I received it and with a tinge of guilt I listed it for sale in the classifieds with a significantly reduced price in hopes that it would work better for the next guy than it did for me.

I have seen no discussion about those carries until this thread so I assume that it also failed for anyone else who tested the waters. Sorry to anyone that may have been convinced to try the carriers based on my video below showing potential that was never and is not likely to ever be realized.

Edited by alma

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd be worried about screwing up and blowing a stage. It's bad enough losing 2 or 4 but could you imagine slipping up and dumping 8 shells mid stage? Everyone messes up every now and then. The potential for dropping half your load and running dry might outweigh the benefits of speed.