Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ accu-shadow trigger/bullet OAL

jstagn

For that pull weight you will need to go light on the mainpspring.

CGW 8.5 will get the DA there. Will be Fed primer only and you'll need to pay attention the primer depth

You may not get away with that OAL with that bullet. Most moly and plated bullets have a wide ogive and that may hit the barrel.

Berry's 147 RN can work at that OAL. You will need to do a push test on the barrel and that bullet to see if that OAL will work. On my Shadow I know the 125Gr Blue Bullet RN needed a OAL under 1.09.

Edited by brisix

Similar to what I use, though I load out to 1.14 with 147 gr. SNS Bullets.

When I ordered my AccuShadow, I sent Stuart a couple dummy bullets matching those that I shoot so that they could adjust the barrel/chamber to make sure they'd work.

I switched to the 8.5lb mainspring from CGW. Using Federal primers, I did have a couple light primer strikes early on. So I also switched to the extended firing pin from CGW, which I'd read was just a slight bit longer than the one sold by CZ Custom.

Fired another 1,200 rounds after switching firing pins, and haven't had any more light strikes.

When I got my SP-01 from CZC I had two 147 moly's on hand, both loaded to 1.140" and both fed fine in my 2011. However only one of them fed in my SP-01. The one that chambered was a FP bullet from Bear Creek that had a short shoulder and quickly tapered. The one that didn't chamber was from Precision that has a tall shoulder before tapering into the FP. To get the Precision to feed right I had to reduce the OAL to something ridiculously short.

So being able to load to the length you want depends on the shape of the bullet, and generally the ones with tall shoulders are going to require a shorter OAL unless you have the chamber/forcing cone reamed.

The DA pull weight when new from CZC using a 13 lb hammer spring and internal polishing was 7.5 lbs and SA right at 3 lbs. Changing to an 11.5 hammer spring plus a few thousand trigger pulls lowered the DA to 6.5 and SA to 2.5. But both are very smooth which make them feel lighter. With CCI primers the above spring combo and the extended FP has been 100% reliable. I haven't tried the 8.5 yet, but based on what I read I would probably need to switch to Federal primers.

I've loaded the Blue 147 FP and have chamber checked them in my Shadow, my son's Shadow, a CZ85 and a CZ75. All push tested between 1.13 and 1.135. For me, I'd have to swage the barrel to load that long.

The Blue 147 RN only pushes to 1.11 in my Shadow. I'm loading them to 1.09. Shot my first of that load today.

I'd buy the FP over the RN. I like the holes they make in targets better. No obvious difference in accuracy so far.

Angus has stated on CZ custom , or a cz forum that he suggests to load to 1.09 "safely building up looking for issues" --------with bullet /powder combo to pass plunk-spin test

My results have always been my 9mm cz's shoot more accurately around 135 PF for the most part, so I aim for that with his advice. We are talking about minor PF here, so slight variations in the "process" of loading would be considered still safe

Using a 8.5 cgw ms I am a little more than 3.5 and just under 2 for DA/SA in my shadow. I run 160 grain bayous to 1.135. If I use bullseye it gets dirty at about 600 rounds and has issues going into battery. With WST I made it to 300 rounds and no issues, I will clean before the next match, but at some point I will see how long it can go, within reason. I suspect it will go much further with wst. Even my glock gets finicky after a while with bullseye.

I have no experience with the 147gr round nose pills but In my Accushadow I load: The Blue Bullets 147gr FP @ 1.12 and Bayou 147gr FP @ 1.14 OAL.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these bullets appear to be from the same mold. Note how the ogive of the Blue Bullet is slightly different from the Bayou. Possibly due to the thicker proprietary coating of the blue versus the Hitek coating of the Bayous?

post-56889-0-08285400-1422919836_thumb.j

Have an accu-shadow on order from CZ Custom. Thinking of a 4-5lb DA and a 2lb SA anyone have this combo? Also want to run 147gr Blue Bullet RN at 1.135 OAL. any issues?

I have an SP01 Shadow and a Regular SP01. Both are sporting 4.5 DA/ 2.5 DA pulls ATM. I am using the 11 lb CGW hammer spring. Use of Federal primers is highly reccomended.

You can easily run a Bear Creek 147g FP from 1.130 to 1.150. I had excellent results from Titegroup and SOLO 1000 with these loads.

CGW 8.5 will get the DA there. Will be Fed primer only and you'll need to pay attention the primer depth

You may not get away with that OAL with that bullet. Most moly and plated bullets have a wide ogive and that may hit the barrel.

What's the optimal primer depth when going this light on the springs?

I'm using the 8.5# spring and my DA is ~4.5#

Not sure on the depth, I just make sure the primers are well seated.

As for OAL, I run MG 124JHP @ 1.095"

Edited by Quack

Fully seated. I put a slight indention on the primer to ensure they are fully seated. Occasionally something on one of the other station prevents full throw of the handle and I get a high primer.

as deep as possible without crushing the primer. using mixed cases there is not enough consistency in the pockets to get an exact measurement but basically seat them deep enough that on soft ones (like federals) there is a light tool mark on the primer but it's not crushed. :)

as deep as possible without crushing the primer. using mixed cases there is not enough consistency in the pockets to get an exact measurement but basically seat them deep enough that on soft ones (like federals) there is a light tool mark on the primer but it's not crushed. :)

^^^^

This

Jstagn

That 147 gr flat nose truncated cone that most of your moly coated 147gr bullets are (regardless of what the manufacturer calls them) need to be loaded to 1.124 in my 75 Shadowline. That will put the base of the bullet less than .01 from the mechanical limit for seating depth where the case walls start to thicken, but that's been enough room for error for me. I like that bullet profile a lot, and I prefer my 147's in the 136/137 PF range. My personal use has included Blue Bullets and BBI. They're the same.

And one final note. The optimum OAL isn't optimum for the bullet; it's optimum for the bullet with pistol X and powder Y. You shouldn't be determining the OAL you want before you have the actual barrel you plan on firing the bullet through. The barrel will tell you what OAL range you have available, and testing within that range is going to help you determine the optimum OAL. Which may very well change when you try different powders. ;) It's all part of the fun.