Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Way to mark cases while on press

HAUGH

I'm using a lnl progressive press and trying to figure out a way to mark the cases while they are rotating through the press. Has anybody perfected a way to do this ither on the outside of the case or on the bottom across the primer while your moving them through the press? I'd like to mark my cases to be able to pick them out easier at matches as for some reason no one is ever picking up my brass as much as others get picked up and my supply is dwindling,.....any ideas or examples?

I use a similar principle (off the press) - just cut a long V-shaped groove in a block of wood. You drop a round into the groove and spin it with one thumb while holding a marker against the case. Doesn't take too long

I use a similar principle (off the press) - just cut a long V-shaped groove in a block of wood. You drop a round into the groove and spin it with one thumb while holding a marker against the case. Doesn't take too long

I made mine similar to yours using a piece of 4" x 4" lumber. The groove was just long enough to hold the brass with the bullet extending beyond the block. The marker was held in place with a thin piece of aluminum. All I had to do was drop the bullet into the groove and spin the bullet with my fingers.

I used it all the time when I was shooting 9x21 and didn't want my cases messing up fellow shooters who were reloading 9x19.

Now most of the matches I shoot are lost brass matches. I still inspect the loaded rounds of match ammo for cracks and such, but don't bother to mark them.

Bill

I marked my cases when I was shooting my Infinity open gun in 9x23. Loaded rounds staggered nose down in a plastic 50 rd case tray. I then put a small socket on my cordless screwdriver and put a small piece of rubber material in the socket. Put socket on back of case and turn on so it spins the round and touch a larger sharpie to the rounds as it rotates. If you stagger the rounds in a 50 round tray you can do 10 on each side one after the other and then spin it around and do another 10. Worked well and I was able to mark rounds faster.

Solved the problem by having it converted to 9mm.

Neal in AZ

Raise your hand if you get a kick out of the innovation we shooters come up with for damn near everything!!!! That is a pretty neat gizmo I guess but I typically don't mark my 9MAJOR brass. I prefer to keep telling guys at the match how dangerous it could be if they reloaded one of my 9MAJOR cases by mistake and just advising them to leave it all lay just to be on the safe side. :goof::devil::ph34r:

We typically have 3-5 Open shooters shooting 38 SC & we each have our own distinct color/area we mark our brass. It's hilarious now that most people know our markings & we pretty much get all of our own brass back without any problems.

A buddy of mine created a motorized brass marker. Works pretty well. I've used with my 9mm minor and 223. That way I get my minor brass back and avoid the guys 9mm major brass. I also get my processed 223 brass back instead of everyone else's junk

http://www.mrshooter.com/mrshooterbrassmarker.html

http://youtu.be/4tUEjm94fAo

Edited by MustangGreg66

A buddy of mine created a motorized brass marker. Works pretty well. I've used with my 9mm minor and 223. That way I get my minor brass back and avoid the guys 9mm major brass. I also get my processed 223 brass back instead of everyone else's junk

http://www.mrshooter.com/mrshooterbrassmarker.html

http://youtu.be/4tUEjm94fAo

That is pretty cool

I use this to mark my brass... :D

Mine is much like yours. Others mark their brass so I figure the unmarked ones must be mine....

The tough part is explaining how your gun shoots 9mm,45acp,38SC and 40... :devil:

I use this to mark my brass... :D

Mine is much like yours. Others mark their brass so I figure the unmarked ones must be mine....

The tough part is explaining how your gun shoots 9mm,45acp,38SC and 40... :devil:

I kid you not, picking up brass Sunday at our match and there was a 40 case fired in a 45 chamber. One of our guys with a dry sense of humor "that'll size right out". I was on deck and blew the classifier.

I use the Mr. Shooter for my SC because:

A With my crappy eyesight I can't tell a SC from the field of 9mm left by "I don't have to pick up my brass" 9 major shooters.

B Bastards who shoot 38 Super. I won't know I have one of those little buggers until it actually jams in my press.

C It is kinda fun to have someone a stage later come up and hand me brass from the last stage I shot that was picked up three shooters later.

D The return rate on my brass is now stupid high.