Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Nation rule changes.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as heavy rules go- part of me appreciate that it is going to save those competitors .60 per target.

But the bigger part of me understands that a delta hit is just .............................................. this far from a miss.

I tend to prefer accuracy over speed, this scoring does not favor accuracy.

I don't know that I agree Bryan. Very few shooters are willing to just shoot one per target now (yes the smaller circle must be hit)

Keep in mind this is 3GN rules and matches, The targets are actually smaller in surface area than USPSA targets.

I was on the phone with a good friend discussing TV show ideas yesterday. You would all know him, and he sometimes bounces ideas off my thick skull to see if they make a dent, so in that vein...As I was reading this thread, I got a terrific idea...Bryan, Kurt and Patrick walk into a bar one day and discuss all things three gun...booze and snacks keep coming. :) With my sincerest regards.

I was on the phone with a good friend discussing TV show ideas yesterday. You would all know him, and he sometimes bounces ideas off my thick skull to see if they make a dent, so in that vein...As I was reading this thread, I got a terrific idea...Bryan, Kurt and Patrick walk into a bar one day and discuss all things three gun...booze and snacks keep coming. :) With my sincerest regards.

Tell me more about these snacks. Any beef based treats?

Lone Ranger that makes two of us. When I signed up it was Heavy Iron through. The first year I shot it it was true heavy metal, 308 irons, single stack 45 ( 10 rounds)and pump twelve. I think there were six of us and I won the division. Last year there were 4-5 and I think this year there are two of us.

Thanks Pat,

One shot one kill with major PF. I can deal with that . So can my wallet. I'm shooting HM this year because I what to have some fun shooting with the 3gun gang knowing that I'm not going to be within the top 10 of Jordan. But I could be in the top 10 behind Rob. HA HA !!

Beef, pork, sure.

While in jest, those three guys have an idea what "3Gun" means to them. If someone asks me to explain "3Gun" to them, the are certain images, ideals, stages and people that come to mind... NOT rule sets. Based on how and why I started shooting 3Gun, 3GNs TV show has nothing to do with it. When relatively new people force a change on a group that has fundamentally been independent in spirit, it hurts, even feels like something has been taken. Part of me is glad that 3GN has taken this path as I hope it might split 3gunners into two broad divisions based on ideals, one driven by that unwritten code of old school 3Gun, the other driven by mass appeal (TV).

Can't cut and paste the rules for some reason. But if you take a look at 7.3.3.3 it says there is no maximum capacity. Mags must be in a 30 round factory configuration max length only. I can't tell for sure what the whole (horribly written) rule means. It seems like they don't have a maximum capacity but the magazine can't be longer than a standard 30 round mag. Whether they use a gauge or not the length seems to be a determining factor. I'm not sure if they mean the magazine has to be a standard pattern, double feed, or if I cut down a SureFire 60 rounder an inch or so, or...

Can't cut and paste the rules for some reason. But if you take a look at 7.3.3.3 it says there is no maximum capacity. Mags must be in a 30 round factory configuration max length only. I can't tell for sure what the whole (horribly written) rule means. It seems like they don't have a maximum capacity but the magazine can't be longer than a standard 30 round mag. Whether they use a gauge or not the length seems to be a determining factor. I'm not sure if they mean the magazine has to be a standard pattern, double feed, or if I cut down a SureFire 60 rounder an inch or so, or...

But what if "factory configuration" has some specific meaning in the part of the rulebook even though it's meaningless elsewhere?

Yeah yeah, but does anyone make a mag pouch for that yet :)

My 3d printer is warming up! Got to find some Jegs stickers for my rifle and shotgun too!

Duct tape some tin and a dremel. We had a guy show up at a match with a 9mm AR15 pistol...in a holster, I let him run it. :devil:

After reading things over a few times it looks like the biggest change that I will see as a former TAC OPTICS, now PRACTICAL shooter is that I can have a forward grip under 5" if I want one and run what ever rifle magazine I like. I don't see a rifle mag restriction.

I am all in favor of one set of rules for everyone to follow, we do it for USPSA pistol and I don't care for all the "outlaw" match rules out there but that's just me. Its easier for me to keep track of one equipment configuration and one set of things to remember.

I think factory, at the end of the day, means that I would have to run a 30 rd rifle mag, plug my SG so it only holds 8 in the magazine (ghost load???) and I would have to download my STI 9mm magazines.

That's about all I could digest at this point regarding the rifles.

I used to shoot lots of NRA Service rifle with an AR-15. The fundamental rule was that you could not change the outward appearance of the rifle (M1, M14/1A or AR-15/M16) and that you had to have a 4.5 lb trigger. There are more rules to it then that, but, none of those "service Rifles" you would find on the line were anything close to an as issued rifle, form outward appearance they would be hard to tell apart. I see this as kind of the same thing as "factory Rifle" even tough its not very factory.

I also think much of these rule changes look as if they are intended to make things a little less intimidating for a new guy and a little less forgiving.

My 3d printer is warming up! Got to find some Jegs stickers for my rifle and shotgun too!

Duct tape some tin and a dremel. We had a guy show up at a match with a 9mm AR15 pistol...in a holster, I let him run it. :devil:

Did he have the sig arm brace? I have heard people threaten to run them in open at local steel matches.

Did he have the sig arm brace? I have heard people threaten to run them in open at local steel matches.

Yes.

7.3.3.3 All Rifle magazines must be in a thirty (30) round factory configuration max length only. There is no maximum capacity as long as the magazine is of legal length or less. Use of lower capacity magazines is allowed. The use of factory or aftermarket extended base pads, whether they increase capacity or not, are forbidden.

You are correct Chuck...that is poorly written.

7.3.3.3 All Rifle magazines must be in a thirty (30) round factory configuration max length only. There is no maximum capacity as long as the magazine is of legal length or less. Use of lower capacity magazines is allowed. The use of factory or aftermarket extended base pads, whether they increase capacity or not, are forbidden.

You are correct Chuck...that is poorly written.

That almost sounds like a surefire 60 is okay