Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

20 Degree Weather

bountyhunter

I'm with you! I'm not a winter person at all. I was in a store today and a lady said it was such a nice day outside! It's been cloudy for so long, when she saw sunshine through the window she equated that to a nice day. I think it topped out at 27 today? Sunshine does not always mean nice!!

I grew out the facial hair for a reason. We are having the same here in the North End of the Sacramento Valley. It wasn't too bad when we had cloud cover. 20s with a 20 knot wind really sucks the heat out of you. And this why I moved out of the Great Basin, I wanted more than 3 strands of barbed wire between me and the pole. :devil:

The truly hateful part is that the Arthritis is really acting up because of it. :angry2:

When I moved here from St Louis 8 years ago (almost to the day) I remember walking around in shorts and a tee shirt laughing at all the locals in Uggs, parkas and other stuff I was used to seeing on the ski slopes. Now if it drops below 60 I've got all my UA coldgear on and am digging for my electric blanket.

Funny how we get used to certain temperatures.

Wow, just took the dogs out, and 32F! That is cold for Bermuda Dunes CA. Took the dogs out to the snow last night about this time early AM. The chain station was unoccupied or staffed so I took the Subaru on up to Pinyon. 25mph behind the plow from Vista Point to the village. The dogs live in CA still and were running around like kids in the snow. Never had dogs so happy to see snow. Thought I wold get a break from the cold in NM. I guess not for a while. Taking the kids sledding tomorrow though so that's a plus!

I was stunned about the snow in southern California this week. We've had our share of the Canadian air up here, though, with three nights in a row at about 20-23 degrees of low (we've had worse). And not much higher during the day (it's 32 right now). But sunny as heck and DRY. That doesn't make it easier to bear (don't give me that "it's a dry cold" line), and we're due for a significant warmup by week's end. Weather up here in winter can be all over the map in terms of temps and conditions, so I have no serious gauge by which to judge what we're experiencing at the moment (other than my 22 years of living here).

The cold isn't so bad if you're standing out in the sun, but if you're in the shade and there's the least bit of wind, you're frozen toast. An when we DO have these cold spells, the wind comes right out of the north--you can all but smell the glacial ice . . .

Who says it never snows in Phoenix? View from my balcony. Pretty cool way to start 2015.

IMG_20150101_122102_402_zpsf9a425e5.jpg

I'll be heading your way at the end of February for the Desert Classic and SMM3G. Can't happen soon enough sinc we are already forecasting below zero nights and single digit days next week.

When I moved here from St Louis 8 years ago (almost to the day) I remember walking around in shorts and a tee shirt laughing at all the locals in Uggs, parkas and other stuff I was used to seeing on the ski slopes. Now if it drops below 60 I've got all my UA coldgear on and am digging for my electric blanket.

Funny how we get used to certain temperatures.

Me too, during the one fall semester I spent in Berkeley, back in 1982. I'd hit the school bus stop in December, dressed in a Denim Jacket because it was in the low 40s, and all of my classmates would show up dressed for attending school in Princeton NJ......

It was pretty cold down here in Florida also. In fact it was sooo cold I had to pull my truck over to the side of the road and look at the owners manual and try to figure out how to turn off the AC...it was down to 65F the other day.