Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B vs. XL650

I haven't done any reloading at all. I was in the process of ordering a new 550B when I found someone in my club who is selling his 650 with case feeder set-up. Having never reloaded, is the simplicity of the 550 better for a brand new reloader than the complexity of the 650? Should one "suffer through" the complexity of the set-up process and all the variables of the 650 to later enjoy the advantages of the progressive, larger volume machine? Those of you who are new reloaders and have come out the other side may have comments concerning your purchases and learning experiences. I certainly welcome comments from seasoned reloaders who use either machine also.

Get the 650. Just remember, using brute strength usually ends up breaking something...like the plastic indexer, which is a royal pia to replace. Other than that, it's a sweetheart! Easy to use, and quick to change calibers. The auto indexing and case feeder will sell you for volume loading. The 550 is almost like using a single stage, it has it's place for small runs and is even used for precision rifle loading. :)

I was in your shoes 2 years ago. I knew nothing about reloading and started with a 650 purchased from a forum member here. If the price is right, I would jump on it. You will have some growing pains, but it teaches you how everything works together. The casefeeder and auto index are huge when it comes to producing ammo.

Also, depending on club, friends etc, most reloaders are more than happy to come over and help set up and teach you the basics for nominal fees in the pizza and beer range. Plus it helps to have reloading friends so you can order components together and save on hazmat/freight charges.

Get the 650 assuming price is right.

About three years ago, I was asking myself that same question. Ended up with the 650, and have never looked back. If the price will work for you, go for it. Three years from now, you'll wonder why you ever asked the question.

Ask around your club who has a 550 & 650. Ask each what they dont like about their press. I would pick the one with the negatives i can deal with. Compare that with what your goal is. Both presses will produce good quality ammo.

The plus on your local member 650 deal is the help that person can give you to get it running in your bench. Then again if you got 550 buddies they too can give you that startup coaching. At this point as what others have mentioned, the price would drive this.

The autoindexing on the 650 was my deciding factor.

Got my first press this year and went with the 650 over the 550 because of the indexing. It may seem like a more complicated machine but in reality it allows you to focus more on the critical steps in the process. Rather than focusing on placing a case, my attention is 100% on looking at the powder in the case and placing a bullet on the case straight. It also has the 5th station for the powder check as well.

My take would be that if it is complete, in good condition, and a good deal (<75% of new) then it would be very hard to pass up. The 650 is a good machine.

I load on both a 550 and a 650.

Personally, I use the 650 for my high quantity load production after I have an established load. I find the 650 tedious to work with when doing load development or when making small batches of a caliber. Caliber changes requiring shell plate, case feeder, primer swaps are a little more complicated than the 550 and they are more expensive. I tend to process (I size, deprime, and inspect before loading) and load large batches of 39 super and 9mm on the 650 as it only requires a tool head exchange, and for this the 650 is indeed awesome. The case feeder is wonderful. The auto indexing is not a guarantee of no squibs, last squib I had was from ammo loaded on a 650 (most likely from a problem where I didn't clear the shell plate before resuming - my mistake). The machine is more complicated, and when something breaks or gets out of adjustment it can eat up quite a bit if time.

On the other hand, the 550 is a great machine if you load for several calibers, if you load smaller batches of ammo, or if you are doing load development. I consider the manual indexing to be a plus on this machine. Never had a problem with squibs or doubles. Just get a cheap LED book light from the dollar store, clip it on your machine to give good light into the case, and visually verify powder in the case prior to bullet seating. The 550 isn't as fast as the 650, but will still produce 400+ an hour easily. Once I get set up doing 100 rounds in less then 10 minutes is very do-able. Caliber changes (once tool head is set up) are a brainless <10 minute event. If I was stranded on a desert island and only could pick one machine for me it would be the 550 as it can do everything (including rifle) and do it well, just not quite as fast as a 650. Not as complicated a mechanism and less to break or get out of adjustment.

Either way you go, you will probably be making some good ammo. Just need to figure out what machine fits your needs and budget best.

I am getting a new 650, wife gave me a check for half for Xmas, I plan on using my square deal for load development. Shooting matches. The hardest part now will be being able to keep it fed with bullets.

Edited by Mahlsan

I have both a 550 & a 650 plus a T-7. I use the T-7 both .223 brass prep and all my precision rifle loading. The 550 is used for loading either 45 or .223 plinking type loads. The 650 is used for 9mm only and will soon add a Mr. Bullet Feeder, I can run 200-300 rds out in under 15 minutes.

Each has it's own place. If you load 4-5 different rounds at groups of 300-500 at a setting the 550 is perfect. As you can use it as a progressive or like a turret press leaving each head set up for each caliber. If I only had one press it would be a 550.

I have a 550 which does everthing I need it to do. It was used and I spent about 100.00 making it run.

A friend of mine has a new 650 and loves it.

Never heard of anyone regretting the 650 buy. And there's absolutely no reason to think you won't be able to load on it right away. Learing curve will be about the same. I'd go for it as long as the seller has a legit reason for selling and they tell you whats wrong (if anything) with the machine.

I have been loading on the 450/550 since the mid 80's they are great machines.one is set up for large primers the other was small primers as this summer i sold it and bought a 650.

i will probably trade out the other this nest year.if the 650 is priced right it will make you a great tool.As will the 550 .Just remember no distractions while reloading.!!!!!

I have loaded on a 550 for years. Won a 550 at a match sold it bought a 650 with case feeder and bullet feeder. I spend less time reloading and more time shooting when use the 650. I still use the 550 for loading 223. Both are great, I would go with the 650.

I haven't done any reloading.

Justin, you haven't provided enough info for a valid response.

How many (and which) calibers are you planning on reloading?

How many rounds of ammo will you reload each year?

How "handy" are you? (I stay away from the 650 because I have

all left hands and thumbs). If you're concerned about complexity,

I am guessing the 650 might be a little too much to learn on.

How much is your friend asking for the 650? (A fully loaded 650 can

be 3-4 times more expensive than a 550).

Good luck with your decision. :cheers:

My comment is get the 650-

I read a number of folks comment on not using the 650 if you change calibers often- a bit expensive to have set up tool heads and some time to change other parts, adjust etc I assume. I don't change mine. It's 9mm all the time.

First press comments--It was my first progressive. It can be a little daunting to set up and get running for the first time. Ask around where you shoot, read here and watch YouTube videos. Go slow at first. Also, as you'll read-- no distractions (kids, wife, tv).

With regards to cost-- it's an investment. It will run run run and Dillon stands behind it 100 %

Take some time in figuring out a bench and mounting. It needs to be really solid ! Lots of info here on benches, too.

I had no experience reloading what's so ever. I kept visiting here and it seems the majority here had 650s. After a lot of reading and watching the utube videos, plus the lifetime warranty I went with the 650. I got it, watched their video many times, had a few newbie questions answered here I finally got it. I'm still slow, only a couple hundred an hour but I still stop and weigh and measure every 15 min. Or so. I'm comfortable now and when I get back to it I'm sure I'll be cranking them out quicker. It's fun to go to the range using the micromotomer, seeing the difference from factory rounds compaired to reloads. The reloads are much closer in feet per sec.

I had no experience reloading what's so ever. I kept visiting here and it seems the majority here had 650s. After a lot of reading and watching the utube videos, plus the lifetime warranty I went with the 650. I got it, watched their video many times, had a few newbie questions answered here I finally got it. I'm still slow, only a couple hundred an hour but I still stop and weigh and measure every 15 min. Or so. I'm comfortable now and when I get back to it I'm sure I'll be cranking them out quicker. It's fun to go to the range using the micromotomer, seeing the difference from factory rounds compaired to reloads. The reloads are much closer in feet per sec.

Your progression is exactly as mine was when I first started.

HOWEVER, be aware that stopping and measuring every 15 minutes breaks your rhythm and when you lose the rhythm, then things CAN GO WRONG. I am not saying not to be cautious. However, I found I have had less pulled bullets when the machine and I were in tune with each other.

Thanks mjohn, your prob. right. I haven't had the need yet to reload a bunch other than learning how to do it. I've got like 6k rounds of each caliber new that I bought 4 years ago before all the price increases. Soon as I shoot up another 1000 of each ill start reloading again.