Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Belt Setup

fal

About to start in single stack division in USPSA. Was wondering how many mag pouches most are running on there belts and is anybody unusually excited about running mags in pouches bullets out to save belt space. Looking for some input

bullets out means the mags are 90 degrees different than you're used to with bullets to the front. the mags are perpendicular to the belt.

i've found this rarely saves space as much as i'd like as the belt attachment is the same size wether i run bullts fwrd or bullets out. especially when running a mag pouch that is of the one size fits all plus spacers variety.

that said, i run bullets out in lim and prod. i havent shot ss in uspsa.

Edited by rowdyb

6 Mag pouches

Tried bullets out for about 3 months it was Ok

It never grew on me and really didn't save a lot of space. I still wanted to get my fingers in between so only saved a little

I went back to normal don't miss bullets out at all

Buy a pouch you can do either with and try it , that's what I did

Thanks guys! I still have some single stack pouches left over from L-10 with a Single Stack ( 10 rnd. .45 mags are still cool!) Just need to buy another belt and a couple pouches.

bullets out means the mags are 90 degrees different than you're used to with bullets to the front. the mags are perpendicular to the belt.

i've found this rarely saves space as much as i'd like as the belt attachment is the same size wether i run bullts fwrd or bullets out. especially when running a mag pouch that is of the one size fits all plus spacers variety.

that said, i run bullets out in lim and prod. i havent shot ss in uspsa.

it's a bit difference if you use DAA pouches (either race master or racer). they have tiny attachment. when sideways they take up somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the normal bullets forward mounting.

I carry 5 on my belt, and load from my front pocket. I have the 9 round Wilson's so I can load the barney round from the magazine and still be legal. So far, I have never pulled the last one out......

I think one of the benefits of the DAA pouches is the leaf spring that provides fore and aft tension instead of side to side tension that most of the other mag pouches provide. IMO the release is much cleaner that way and less opportunity for the mag to bind when you yank it out.

5 here on the rare chance I do shoot single stack. I ran 4 a couple years ago didnt have any issues but i do shoot minor

I run 6 plus my barney in my back pocket. I used to run with 4 doubles, but I never used the very back one since it was a pain to reach that far compared to just going to my back pocket.

I also run the same set-up except I add an Ernie Hill 45 degree double in front when I shoot L-10 minor with my SS 9mm.

Jay

I run 5 mag pouches and don't think I've ever used the 5th. But I shoot single stack minor :)

If you don't want to do bullets out, check out Ready Tactical mag pouches. They take up a lot less space on your belt than many other mag pouches. Only problem with them in tension isn't adjustable and with so many different 1911 mags out there they might be a bit too loose or tight with your mags. I ordered mine from CPWSA and when I got 2 that were too loose Chris helped me out and exchanged them for different ones, now they're all good.

Barney mag is a mag that you use to put a round in the chamber and then remove it and insert a full magazine so you are topped off. Usually it's supposed to only have 1 round in it like Barney Fife and his one bullet but I use a full mag. I keep a barney mag in my back pocket as a "just in case" mag as I can actually load 9 in my Tripp Corey mags so I just load the first with 9 so I have one in the chamber and 8 in the mag to be at SS major capacity.