Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye protection?

Highwayman

Until now, I've always used cheapie safety glasses bought from Walmart or gun shops for a couple bucks each. My 'prize' pair is an old pair of Black and Decker branded ones with one nose piece missing, with 'Cat Crap' branded anti-fogging solution. Still some fogging issues occasionally. For my first indoor match, I wore my Oakley Flak Jackets as it was sunny and they were impact rated. Without going overboard, what are some solid shooting glasses that are a step above entry level? I've heard enough stories on the range so far that my eye pro is becoming a major priority, and I'm concerned that my disposables may be putting myself at a liability. I've looked into Oakley lenses for my Flak Jackets that are clear, but at fifty dollars a pop I'd be better off getting dedicated glasses.

Safety lenses are controled by A.N.S.I. Z87.1. They are marked on the lenses. Like any product you get what you pay for. The impact resistance is regulated. The optical quality is a diiferant story. If you want clear distortion free lenses you've got to raise your sights ( pun intended). There are shooting glass packages that are good and are relatively inexpensive. ie...http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13155025&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.12114955

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remington-reg-T-Shooting-Glasses-Kit/720974.uts?productVariantId=1716326&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=32-412013595-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02955641&rid=20

Either get the lenses or spring for some good glasses like Rudy Project. I know all glasses seem the same at first but when you actually look through a pair of good shooting glasses the difference can be astonishing. So clear you won't believe it. Don't know about Oakley but with Rudy there is a lifetime warranty on the lenses against scratches or damage. For 20 bucks you can get new lenses every year if you want!

On the midrange to cheaper side I had some ess ice that were nice glasses but they got hazy after many many wipe downs. I think they were in the 50-60 dollar range maybe?

You get what you pay for with glasses.

I use Bolle Vigilantes for my eye pro. Not as sexy or as much the in thing as Rudy Project, but I hardly care about that. On sale now at OpticsPlanet, where $76 bucks will get you one pair with four sets of different polycarbonate lenses. You can also get a clip in frame for prescription lenses that snaps in right behind the regular lenses.

I have heard good things about bolle glasses. That is a pretty good price.

I don't know if other glasses offer this but both of my rudy's have the sport reader lenses in them. For older eyes they are great for scoring scoring and reading timers, etc! One thing is for sure I only wear my Rudy's for shooting and driving. For real work, weedeating, etc I wear the $6.95 safety glasses from the tool rental place! :cheers:

My Rudy's are 2 arms and a nose peice connected to the single peice lens. No frame whatsoever. I like it because there is nothing to obstruct your field of vision. Otherwise, I think it's just personal preference.

Buy the Rudy glasses, They have a multitude of lenses for any situation and they change out easily. Guaranteed and ansi rated. Good glasses are as important as good optics. You don't take a $4000 gun and throw $40 optics on it. You will be amazed at what sport specific lenses can do for you.

My Rudy's are 2 arms and a nose peice connected to the single peice lens. No frame whatsoever. I like it because there is nothing to obstruct your field of vision. Otherwise, I think it's just personal preference.

Thats nice not to have anything in your field of view.

In my opinion bigger is better for eye protection. Something that provides full frontal, side and bottom protection. I prefer the one piece lenses with minimal framing that sit close to the face. This type of eye protection gives the best protection without going to a goggle. The frame is almost as important as the lens. The frame must be able to hold the lenses in place in case the frame is impacted as well as the lens. The eye protection that provide ANSI Z87.1-2010 protection only provide the minimum impact protection required for shooting sports. I will not use anything unless it meets the military MIL-PRF 31013 protection requirements.

Eye protection that meet the military requirements can be had from Oakley, Smith Optics, Revision, ESS and UVEX.

There is an informative article on the Lucky Gunner website under the Labs link at the top menu bar. I drew a lot from the article and it pushed me buy once/cry once and get some Oakley M2.0 glasses. What I was wearing previously just wasn't adequate. For those of you who wear regular prescription glasses to shoot, the article will be eye opening.-pun intended!

For those that are using Rudey Project Glasses, where are the impact protection ratings listed? Is there any information on their frames ability to hold the lens in the event of an impact? I really like the look of the glasses and their lenses have great optical clarity, but the information listed on the website is pretty sparse concerning impact protection.

I had been running Oakley glasses. Recently picked up some Smith Aegis Echo glasses. The ear pieces are super thin. No pressure under hearing muffs. They even have frames to fit narrow face/head. Lens swap is one of the easiest I have used. Open view. No obstructions.

http://www.smithoptics.com/elite/Root/Elite/Sunglass/Aegis-Echo/p/AECHABK12-3R

Oakleys are excellent. They require some tlc or the ultra clear vision gets not so clear. Plastic will always scratch if you aren't careful. Better to have two pairs- a clear and a dark rather than switching lenses. Straight Jackets are really good, fit tight, don't move and have excellent vision. M frames, Flak Jackets are ok, but they get smudged really easily because there is no frame on the bottom to grab. Fast Jackets are my favorite, not sure they are making them any more.

The eye protection that provide ANSI Z87.1-2010 protection only provide the minimum impact protection required for shooting sports. I will not use anything unless it meets the military MIL-PRF 31013 protection requirements.

For those that are using Rudey Project Glasses, where are the impact protection ratings listed? Is there any information on their frames ability to hold the lens in the event of an impact? I really like the look of the glasses and their lenses have great optical clarity, but the information listed on the website is pretty sparse concerning impact protection.

Great question.

When researching their product, I too had this question. I did find this article stating what it was. I'm unsure as to what their source was since I couldn't locate it on their site either.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/1929

Rudy Project’s patented ImpactX material and are rated ANSI Z87.1+, which is the high-velocity, high-mass impact certification that exceeds normal eyepro standards.

It's the "+" in the rating that makes all the difference. But it appears only their Impactx lens are rated ANSI Z87.1+.

Unsure if they still make the Karboneye model, but I love mine. I run the photochromic clear Impactx. They are an 18%-78% light transmission. I don't even notice the transition from clear to tinted at the day progresses.

5f615c23-b70e-4fa9-a2ca-ac96833014b2.jpg

971645ef-9ba2-4baf-874c-f61bdb8b631a.jpg

DSC_0603.jpg

I started using Edge Eyewear glasses this season, and have since replaced all of my shooting glasses with them (clear, amber, and grey) as well as going with a pair of their sunglasses for daily use. They are all have ANSI Z87.1+ protection.

Being a (recovering) fat kid, I sweat a lot, which means that my glasses fog up all the time. The Edge glasses with the Vapor Shield anti-fog are awesome. The best thing is that they are CHEAP! The majority of the time I shoot in a pair of Edge 'Fast Link' glasses with "Tiger's Eye" (high contrast orange) lenses. $15.95 from Safety Glasses USA.

Wiley-x also makes eye pro that meets the mil spec for impact. Changeable lenses and not overly pricy. After reading a bit, the mil spec, being more stringent seems like the prudent choice. Based on likelihood and consequence, making good choices on eye pro makes sense. I've been hit more than once by "fragments", never in/on my eye pro, but flying debris happens. Make good choices on eye pro, there are lots of solid choices.

I had a pair of Smith Aegis Echo I've used for a long time (the arms are awesome and flat for double plugging). I've recently gone back to a pair of Oakley Radars since I only use plugs for outdoors now, and I am amazed at the much better optical quality of the Oakleys. I did not expect such a difference.

I've now ordered a pair of Rudy Genetyk to compare the Oakleys to.

Switchable lenses are good but there is something to be said for having two pair. When I am shooting, I prefer a lighter colored or even clear lens. So I have a good pair for shooting and a darker less expensive pair for when I'm not shooting.

I have yet to find the perfect frames but if you can test fit them first, you will be better off. Try asking around at matches and see if you can borrow someones glasses for a stage.