Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it cheaper to reload 9 Major or 38s?

ctay

Wanted to share a spreadsheet I created to calculate the cost of reloading per round. I was wondering exactly how much cheaper it is to reload 9 major over 38 sc so I made this sheet to figure it out. Put in all your costs, estimate your brass loss (ie what average percent you lose each time you shoot) and the spreadsheet will tell you how much it currently costs you to reload plus compare that to other options of your choosing. I did 38sc vs 9 Major vs 9 Minor (just for fun). The difference for me was about $30 per 1,000 rounds, or about $20 per 1,000 rounds if I didn't pick up my 9 major brass. That adds up over time - but not quite as fast as I expected.

ReloadingCalculation_zps9185d5e2.jpg

I also made it calculate how many rounds you would have to go through before you paid back the cost of a rebarrel. For example, given my reloading costs, it would take just north of 10,600 rounds before I could pay off a $350 barrel replacement.

Anyway, throw in your numbers and see how it changes. I'm curious how it works out for others. I made a spreadsheet like this once before but this one is better on the lost brass.

Chris

Dropbox link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8242024/Reloading%20Calculation.xlsx

You put in a lot of thinking on this one ... :bow:

It always comes down to how each person manages the brass, when

it comes to cost of 9mm major vs .38 super.

Buy both brass new, and the numbers change ...

Lose all your 9mm brass, and the numbers change ...

Load and shoot your .38 super 4-5 times for practice,

and retrieve it ALL, and then load one last time for lost

brass matches, and the numbers change again...

But, interesting way of attempting to quantify it - thanks for sharing. :bow: :bow:

What no spreadsheet will ever catch is the freedom of not looking at the ground at the matches. There is BIG difference in the level of enjoyment, when you don't have to constantly look for brass.

What no spreadsheet will ever catch is the freedom of not looking at the ground at the matches. There is BIG difference in the level of enjoyment, when you don't have to constantly look for brass.

That and the benefits to your squad since the on-deck shooter isn't tripping over you when you are brass picking and you are able to help tape and reset!

Thanks for the tool Ctay

I just got my first 38 just to see how the other side lives and I'm already tired of getting all OCD on finding my brass. I shoot an an indoor range where a small percentage of shooters reload so when I show up I scoop up a box full of fresh 9mm brass, then leave mine behind, so I effectively shoot once or twice fired brass all the time. With the 38 I walk in, clean up the area, shoot, then sweep up again and pick out my super brass....

I don't find picking brass to be that big of a burden (being in the desert does have that advantage) but I can now tell exactly how much it costs to go through the work. For example if I only get 50% of my brass back - not too hard even if you just pick up the easy to find stuff - it costs me about $35 per 1,000 more over getting 75% back. And if I really work and find every last piece I'm saving about $25 per 1,000 over getting 75% back. Every piece I find is actually worth about $.04 not really the $.15 I previously thought. Sort of. Depending on the accounting method I use... :) For me anyway, 75% seems to be the magic number.

I also really wanted to know how quickly I could pay back a barrel purchase. 10,000 rounds is a lot for some people, not much for others. I'm going to go ahead and shoot 38sc in regular matches and load 9major to shoot in lost brass matches. I'll switch to 9 major a couple weeks before the lost brass match to get the timing of the gun right and not worry about my lost brass. :)

I remember your open gun choice spreadsheet. Hoe did that work out for ya. I kid I kid.....

touché...

I just can't get away from having Excel make my decisions for me. I should show you my dinner selection spreadsheet... lol

Chris: Man you need a better hobby! I buy 9mm once fired brass at $35/1000 so I don't feel too bad about leaving it sit. I am a brass rat and collect all I can but having one less thing to worry about is key to a better match. If the range has lots of grass then picking up brass is a pain. I did that in Corpus Christi. Getting brass in Albuquerque is easy with the desert range. I usually would get back more 9mm than I came with. Cool chart though. Thanks, Eric

I just like the convenience of 9mm. If I need brass, it can be bought easily and pretty cheap online if I wanna buy it. If not there is always sticking around after a local match and find a couple good spots and pick a ton up or even better get the brass from the GSSF match or 2 a year I work and set the tarp up. Would reather not have to worry about getting my brass back when shooting a match

If you all would just man up and shoot Production none of this would matter ...:)

I also don't see the big issue with picking up brass at matches. It's not like we shoot 200 round stages. Shoot the stage, pick up some brass and then over the next shooter or 2 inberween taping pick up the remainder. Never really seen it as an issue at our local matches with the 38S/SC crowd ....

Now if you shoot 50 lost brass matches a year ....

I am running sc right now and I only pickup practice brass. I don't like watching shooters chasing brass at local matches and not pasting. you will be surprised how fast things go when everyone is helping and not freakin out over a few dollars of brass that might be lost at a match. $5000.00 guns and to cheap to loose some brass. lol. its crazy how many people are picking the ground for brass at our matches.

I might try a 9mm just to see?

Edited by a matt

yeah in our little convict colony the cost between 9mm major and super is not as big.

though you can get cheap/free used 9mm if you look hard in the right places dan. :)

brand new brass here for starline is somewhere around $30 per 100 whether you buy 9mm or super or even super comp. so if you like to buy and load new there's basically little cost difference between 9 or super for us.

but if you shoot used brass then 9 major for sure is cheaper.

having said that shooting super is not exactly sending me broke. so I stick with it for now. some matches I lose 50% or more. but generally I get back 80% or so. as Dan said here we basically pick up all brass. and picking up the brass is just part of resetting the stage.

so some will be pasting targets, some scoring, some resetting steel and a couple people collecting the dropped mags and the 30 odd pieces of brass to give back to the last shooter. the shooter needs to be looking at the scoring process not picking up their own brass. they return the favour later for others.

it also works well for people who struggle to bend over with back problems etc. they can paste targets instead and leave the brass picking to the more agile guys. it's just a nice thing to do for a fellow competitor. :)