Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag release button

Revofan

I'm ordering a Dawson crp edge to start my venture into the 2011 world wile my custom is being built what Type of mag release do you guys use and like I have large hands and plan on putting a med flat sv trigger and not sure what mag rel to go with or even if I should use med flat or short flat ????

Hello: I don't use a button anymore. I use the Dawson extended mag release. It is the same diameter as the stock release but extends out further. I have large hands and can reach the button without changing my grip. Dawson make a couple of different lengths for different games. Some of the large buttons can interfere with your left hand causing you to eject the mag. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I don't use a button anymore. I use the Dawson extended mag release. It is the same diameter as the stock release but extends out further. I have large hands and can reach the button without changing my grip. Dawson make a couple of different lengths for different games. Some of the large buttons can interfere with your left hand causing you to eject the mag. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

This is what I am using. Dawson extended posilock with no button. The extended length makes it easier to hit.

I have an SVI steel grip on one of my guns and the shape/extension of that mag release is perfect for me, but for my small to average size mitts, I have to significantly shift the gun to reach the release on my STI Eagle. I ordered the Dawsond D/T posi lock (std length) and one of the STI mag release paddles. It should show up tonight, so I'll check in out and let you guys know what I think.

I am a little worried about weak hand only shooting and accidentally dropping the mag. Anyone have any input on that with this or any oversize mag release?

I have a Brazos Cyclone mag release button on all my Limited/Open guns. I have larger hands and the button makes it that much easier to hit but is not so big that you accidentally hit it. And I have larger hands

This on standard length mag release is perfect. If you go to an extended mag release or thicker button, then you have much greater chance of making contact with it and inadvertently dumping a mag

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Brazos Cyclone mag release button on all my Limited/Open guns. I have larger hands and the button makes it that much easier to hit but is not so big that you accidentally hit it. And I have larger hands

This on standard length mag release is perfect. If you go to an extended mag release or thicker button, then you have much greater chance of making contact with it and inadvertently dumping a mag

Agreed- standard length posilock with the Brazos cyclone button is perfect for me. Easy to drop a mag, but never inadvertently!

Medium flat would probably suit you well. I started with the STI gunsmith blank trigger and took it down to roughly a medium flat length.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience with the CR Speed RHT mag button?

Haven't heard of that one, yet. I use the Mitchell Bulletworks custom right side mag release.

Edited, I didn't realize RHT didn't mean right

Edited by Butterpuc

Does anyone have any experience with the CR Speed RHT mag button?

Haven't heard of that one, yet. I use the Mitchell Bulletworks custom right side mag release.

Edited, I didn't realize RHT didn't mean right

Yup, just a paddle type mag button. The obvious benefit is being able to hit the button without breaking your grip. I have average size hand however my thumb reach to the button wasn't quite there. I believe other hand structure elements and grip style effect your thumbs "reach" to the button. The paddle style releases allow guys like me to have a faster and more consistent reload. Anecdotally, I reduced my reload splits by about 30% and improved my recoil control (accurate follow up shots) going to a CR speed paddle. This comes at a price though! Inadvertently dropping a mag is way easier! At an area match I had 6 unplanned mag drops. Lame!

for a carry gun no way I'd use the paddle though.

I have an SVI steel grip on one of my guns and the shape/extension of that mag release is perfect for me, but for my small to average size mitts, I have to significantly shift the gun to reach the release on my STI Eagle. I ordered the Dawsond D/T posi lock (std length) and one of the STI mag release paddles. It should show up tonight, so I'll check in out and let you guys know what I think.

I am a little worried about weak hand only shooting and accidentally dropping the mag. Anyone have any input on that with this or any oversize mag release?

Sti paddle ended up being too big and got in the way. I can post pictures if anyone needs them. I ended up exchanging it for a dawson lo-pro which seems to be just about the right size and extension with the std length Dawson posi-lock. I figure the cyclone is very comparable to the lo-pro.