Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

My gun has been at RIA for three weeks as of tomorrow. No feedback or response except "it takes 2-3 weeks turnaround in our shop". I'm really hoping they can fix why my mags sat so low (you can read my earlier post in this thread regarding my nose dives).

Guys that are having similar problems - do your mags also sit low once locked in? (You can apply pressure and they go further up into the gun better aligning nose of round into barrel?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I have nose dive issues (TCM using 9mm barrel) is when the slide doesn't compress the return spring enough to have a little velocity going forward before it starts pushing the back of the round out of the magazine. As long as I use full power ammo and keep a stronger spring in it, I appear to be OK. It does happen a lot with light reloads or while I was playing with lower powered springs.

If I take the slide and rack it rather slowly, the round will stop against the frame and the spring will not push the round into the barrel.

It's a tortured path to the chamber for the front of the bullet. Normally, I'm assuming that the slide, at normal speed, is imparting a force to the top of the rear of the cartridge that allows it to rotate the front of the bullet up, where it bounces up over the frame. I can't prove it though.

I bet if the angle of the frame, where it looks like someone ground (and polished) the approximation of a feed ramp, was at more of an angle and looked more like a feed ramp, the spring would push it in, even with less force.

I'm scared to take a dremel to it though, especially since I can work around it right now and don't know what it would do to the TCM round (assuming I ever get to shoot one...lol).

Yeah. Whoever attempted to make a feed ramp on my pistol did a poor job. It's almost like they scraped the finish off to bare metal and called it a day.

Same here the frame has a small ramp and then the barrel throat is near vertical and offset behind the ramp so it just wedges right between the two.

Hey guys, I just got off the phone with Benny Hill, Triangle Shooting Sports. He is quite familiar with the RIA nose dive problem.

Get a set of calipers and check in inside distance of the front, and back of the feed lips. That should be .350 checked all of mine and noe were correct. Front way wide and the rear two narrow. He says that RIA does that to try and use the mag for 9mm and 22TCM so if they get a compromise both rounds will work one mag, Cuts cost of the gun. If not then nose dives or some other BS to fix.

I am giving this a try today. Will let you know.

:cheers:

Ken, Is that .350 back and front or .350 back and a bit wider at fron ( like STI Specs)?

I've been using STIs primarily and with tuned mags even with lightened recoil spring reliability is there.

My mecgars, paras are another story . I was planning on tuning them at a later date.

Thanks for the info

Hey guys, I just got off the phone with Benny Hill, Triangle Shooting Sports. He is quite familiar with the RIA nose dive problem.

Get a set of calipers and check in inside distance of the front, and back of the feed lips. That should be .350 checked all of mine and noe were correct. Front way wide and the rear two narrow. He says that RIA does that to try and use the mag for 9mm and 22TCM so if they get a compromise both rounds will work one mag, Cuts cost of the gun. If not then nose dives or some other BS to fix.

I am giving this a try today. Will let you know.

:cheers:

I Have the following mags with performance and dimensions listed:

Unused new factory RIA .22TCM - .330 rear / .325 front (2 other exact same mags function 100% w 9mm)

Used STI 140mm - .365 rear / .380 front - 100% function

Used "new style" Para 18 rd 9mm mag - .355 rear / .380 front - 100% function (I have OPENED the front of the feed lips to .380 dim)

Used "new style" Para 18 rd 9mm mag - .355 rear / .360 front w Arredondo follower - 100% function (I have OPENED the front of the feed lips to .360 dim)

NONE of the above mags have the "nose dive" gap

:D:D:D

Well, my gun will be in Bennys hand tomorrow, so we'll see what he finds. He says he can fix it, and Benny does what hew says he will. He did my Versa Max, and it has been picture perfect. Old master of the art has it. IMHO :D

Is this the nose dive problem everyone is talking about? I am using stock STI mags. I swapped out the 12lb spring for a 10lb spring. My rounds are loaded to 1.14"

It happens about once a mag. At least once a mag with the factory mag. A karate chop to the slide gets me in battery. So what's the fix? Heavier recoil spring? 9mm OAL change?

nkl039_zpsa14a03aa.jpg

Edited by joelogic

Is this the nose dive problem everyone is talking about? I am using stock STI mags. I swapped out the 12lb spring for a 10lb spring. My rounds are loaded to 1.14"

It happens about once a mag. At least once a mag with the factory mag. A karate chop to the slide gets me in battery. So what's the fix? Heavier recoil spring? 9mm OAL change?

nkl039_zpsa14a03aa.jpg

Yes same problem I've been having. Lot of times in my case helping the slide is no use, its too stuck to work even with extra force.

Ive tried a wide range of oal all had issues.

Adjusting the feed lips has made the biggest difference but still not perfect, not sure how people's mags are functioning with lips wider than .350 i had one mecgar mag that started double feeding from the lips being too wide at around .355.

Yes that's the problem... They've had my gun for three weeks so according to their time-line I should have it back pretty soon. Will update..

Got an email today saying they are wanting me to send mine back as well.

I can only speak for my TCM model, but I only had trouble with reduced loads and reduced power springs.

I haven't seen one nosedive in at least 500 rounds since putting the factory spring (12 lbs) back in, even with my 128 PF reloads.

Of course, after saying this, I shouldn't use it later this week.....it's jinxed now.

I'm a little nervous about opening the front feed lips much. I would be afraid of a double feed or another kind of hard lock up, the kind you have to drop and rack to fix.

...Like when a round pops out when you slap the magazine in. There is already a lot of room in that .38 super magazine for one to slip forward..

I'll wait for other people to play with the feed lips first :devil:

My 40 Hi-Cap runs fine with no nosedive issues. I currently own only one hi-cap mag that came with the pistol, and 6 older P16.40 ten rounders I found off ebay. All mags run flawless. The only issue I'm having is finding more factory hi-caps. I guess it'll be L10 for me until I do. Oh, the pistol was pretty heavily sprung when I got it, changing to a 15lb recoil and 19lb mainspring made is shoot much flatter with easier follow ups.