Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me explain again. The Mec-Gar mags are the same mags that come with the 9mm high capacity TACTICAL model and the PRO MATCH 40 model. RIA uses the Mec-Gar mags. These two RIA pistols have the factory mag well installed, which means that the frames have been cut (shortened) for the factory mag well. The Mec-Gar mags will work with the Dawson pads that came with both of my pistols. The combos that I am explaining will NOT WORK with the stock high capacity frames due to Mec-gar mags are shorter. Just trying to help.

THANKS !!!

The SVI triglide and posi-lok were staright drop ins. Surprisingly, no modifications involved. The Triglide worked the very first time I dropped it in and was surprised that I didnt have to adjust the take-up tab. It took away all the take-up that the stock trigger had. Im very happy about that because it was an expensive gamble but luckily it paid off. However, there is still a little bit of trigger movement up and down but it does tighten up when the hammer is cocked. Im thinking of putting a shim on the trigger to take that movement out (maybe a small piece of aluminum tape will do the trick but I havent tried it yet and I don't know how reliable it will be since it will be on a moving part). Let me know if you have a better solution.

Now about the Posi-lok. It functions well and it is smoother than the stock mag release but it goes a little too far in to the left side (button side) so it is not flush with the frame on the right side by about 100ths of an inch. Best thing to do is call Dawson and ask them which one will work with our gun (something I should have done before ordering but I didnt). Have fun with your new toy! You will love it!

Took my gun out today. Using sti 140mm 40 s&w mags it ran great. 100 rounds with out a problem. The stock mag is garbage. 10 rounds fired 6 jams. Tried it again after using the sti magazines and same problem. Bullet is getting half out of the mag and the nose hits the frame/barrel.

I'm wanting to get a hi cap 9mm/22 tcm. Want to have a magwell and extended mags. Looking at the 51947 model with the factory magwell and nicer grips or the 51680 for a little less $. Which is the better option long term to have reliable 20+ round mags?

The model with the factory magwell is the pistol you need. The factory mags with a Dawson pad will only do 19 rnds due to the ribs on the side of the mags. Arrendondo makes a spacer that fits inside of the Dawson base pad that has fingers on it that should fill the gap so there is no sharp angle for the bottom round to have to climb over. Mine has not come in yet, but I will post how the combo works. Hopefully the spacer will get the rounds count up in the 9mm mags. With the Dawson posi-lock mag catch in my 9, my STI mags go in the pistol , but are snug at the top. If I go that route, I will have to work on the top inside of the frame.

Ok thanks I ordered the 51947 seems like a good deal to get the tactical model with both barrels! Now to figure out the best mags and pads. I'll see how yours works out.

Edited by Garmil

If your gun will accept sti magazines I really think that's the best route over trying to piece together a mag from para dawson and Arredondo parts and hoping no one has modified the design along the way.

I was with another friend today who shoots a Custom 2011 9mm.

His mags fit my 51680 with no issue and functioned 100% (i do have a different mag catch)

Of course his were tuned. i should have more details over the weekend.

http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=97_152&products_id=1247&zenid=6eb2b3d38c9bb7926973a0f9c3d4a0ec

Do these mags work %100 when using 9mm? And does anyone know if they have ribs that limit capacity like the tcm mag?

http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=97_152&products_id=1247&zenid=6eb2b3d38c9bb7926973a0f9c3d4a0ec

Do these mags work %100 when using 9mm? And does anyone know if they have ribs that limit capacity like the tcm mag?

The only ones that have been 100% are STI/SVI for me

I have 4 or 5 from the above link.

Nosedives galore initially

I have 2 that work now after opening the feed lips and replacing mag springs with Wolff.

There is also a trick using a9/64 drill bit to deepen the feed groove. i have not tried that

The new Para 18.9 mags were even worse and supposedly they are also mecgar

Interesting, is the above linked mag different then what comes in a Normal 9mm hi cap version?

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1371120.htm Found these that sound like they will work With factory mags and are cheap.

That's the pad that is on the 20rnd preban para mags. It will fit the mecgars. it will not fit the models without the factory magwell without reducing the top

It should fit the models with factory magwells without mods but as I do not have one I cannot confirm

The more I look the more I get confused about these mags.

http://www.us.advancedtactical.com/shop/product-detail/2011-A-2-22TCM-9mm-mag-Mecgar-17rounds/

These say a2 only and my model 51947 at least says a2, where I can find it anyway it's not even on armscors website. Most of the tcm mags don't have the large of a baseplate but the capacity is the same. Wish this page gave a model number to look for them elsewhere.

Edited by Garmil

The more I look the more I get confused about these mags.

http://www.us.advancedtactical.com/shop/product-detail/2011-A-2-22TCM-9mm-mag-Mecgar-17rounds/

These say a2 only and my model 51947 at least says a2, where I can find it anyway it's not even on armscors website. Wish this page gave a model number to look for them elsewhere.

Those are for 22tcm/9mm or 9mm models with factory magwell- 51679/51947. the feedlips are modified for the 22tcm but work with 9mm also.

it should fit yours.