Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received my 51947 today. Immediately switched to the 9mm barrel. Had a few nose dive ftf with 115gr round nose, 4 in the first 25 rounds. Ran out of daylight will shoot more tomorrow and see if it improves with break in. fit and finish are pretty good and it's nice and tight. Loving the look and feel of the gun. Only complaint is the hole for the magwell screw had some sharp metal that wasn't cleaned up well.

Funny, I got mine yesterday also. I ordered two extra mags as well. When I got my gun, it was so covered with some type of oil rust preventive that was hard to handle. So first thing, I stripped id and put the whole thing in the Ultra Sonic. 30 min later, BAM !

A very clean 2011 and ready for the next step. Took all of my magazines, and placed them in the ultra sonic also and now have clean dry magazines.

Now ready to move forward. My feeling is this gun is a sleeper. I am so very impressed with it and consider it a great value for your money. Now is it as perfect as my SVI, no its not. But it cost $3,264.00 more. Hummmmm !

Gues I put a lot more value into my ego then I should. If I was young and traveling around to all the big shoots, being very competitive and shooting many many thousand rounds. Maybe, and I am not 100% sure the SVI would last longer. I am sure there would be less small parts needing replacement.

With all this said, I am not that big name, big time shooter. Just a guy who loves to shoot and enjoys the competition every weekend even if its just against my self.

Tomorrow, I will take this cool new gun to the range and see how well it will function. I know it is clean and properly lubed, the mags move freely and my bet is it runs great.

More news later.

:cheers:

Put some more rounds through today only had one ftf out of 50 and it was early on.

Poi was about 4 inches high out of the box but I was tearing one small hole with a rest at 10 yards. Adjusted the sights almost all the way down to get on target.

Very accurate gun I'm impressed with the groups I was able to shoot from rest and offhand.

I agree with Ken Bird. I don't travel to big matches anymore. This pistol will do everything that a big money gun will. Mike Seeklander is no slouch in the shooting world and Mike has been impressed with the accuracy. I get custom gun accuracy at a fraction of the price. I picked up two RIA for less than one of my full custom 2011's. I have replaced my sights with green fiber optics front and back and also replaced the plastic main spring housings with steel. it gives the set screw a better foot hold for the magwell. Most shooters ego's are bigger than their abilities.

Well I got my mec gar p18 mags today. On my factory magwell gum they took a few minutes with a Drexel and now seat and release perfectly.

Bad news is I'm constantly getting rounds nose diving in to the bottom of the barrel face. Sonetimes they are very stuck, others racking the slide sends them in.

I'm wondering if the 12 lb recoil spring is a little in the light side?

This is already a long thread, so I thought I would add to it. Yesterday, I got the courage to switch my SA XDM our for my .22TCM at our biweekly IDPA match (9mm barrel of course).

I was hesitant because it seems to be a little sensitive to ammo, not liking my 124 grain 130PF reloads or the Walmart sold brassmax stuff (both nosedive about 20% of the time).

I'm sure I can work that out with the proper recoil spring and magazine spring in time though.

With Winchester white box, the gun performed flawlessly with one hiccup.

I left a round in the magazine on a slide lock reload. That only happened once though. I didn't find that I had the round left until I got back to the reload station after that COF.

I don't think that's a penalty, even though I left a round in the magazine, since it's basically a malfunction, but you SO's out that may have a different take on that.

I'll take it apart later today and see if I can find the problem.

Anyway, follow-up shots were noticeably quicker and in more control than with the XDM (for me anyway).

It seemed a little less sensitive to minor sight misalignment at short to medium range (5-15 yards).

My groups were also much smaller.

The extra mass of the pistol and the straight trigger pull appears to be making a difference, at least for yesterday.

I did have one embarrassing mental error where I pulled the trigger a few times only to remember, Oh, I have a safety now, but that was me.

I think it's going to work out.

One other thing though. I dropped a magazine during the a reload and when I picked it up, the front of the baseplate was bent significantly.

Does anyone have any ideas how to avoid that? These are the slightly modified (feed lips) .38 super magazines that the TCM uses. Will some kind of Dawson baseplate work?

Edited by robport

Ok, all you RIA experts. I am having hell trying to remove the factory base pad for my 17 td 9mm.

I see the small on the pad, but cannot find a way or size to use to loosen the set screw. Assuming it is a set screw.

Can anyone offer some detailed help.

Thanks

I'm not sure what a factory base pad is, but I would send them a support email. When I did that, they had a real live gunsmith get back to me within a day. If you can't see how to take it off, it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

Ken, I don't know the size of the set screw. If I remember, I thought that my pistol came with a allen wrench. The set screw has to be loosened or take it out. The I used a peice of aluminium to drive off the base pad. One of my mags was very tight. The other mag for the 40, the base pad came of with a hard push by hand. Once the set screw is removed, you may have to drive the basepad off. I did.

Has anyone had luck with a sti 2011 holster? I'm looking at the sti tactical full rail holster for my ria the trigger guards are different so im wondering if the retention would work.

This is what I'm wondering too. The trigger guard is significantly wider and rounded off.

Blade tech speed rig for sti tactical 2011 is a perfect fit.

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=STI14F9&n=STI-9mm-follower-with-Adapter-Insert

Does anyone know if this would work in a p18 mag to help feeding problems?

I have NOT used STI followers in the "new" Para 9mm 18 rd mags, BUT - I do have new style Paras that are now functioning well after the feed lips have been "tweaked" outward just a bit.

In their factory form the mags had MANY nosedives (3-4 per 18 rds). Bending the feed lips (OUT, toward the front of mag) helped measurably - did this (3) times, just a little at a time and the mags functioned nearly 100% yesterday.

Over 60 rds per mag fired 100% reliably - save for on a completely stock Para mag that locks slide back with one rnd left (easily remedied if you choose to file on the follower).

Also, I have an Arrendondo follower in one of the Paras and it functions 100% as above after (slightly) bending the feed lips.

May test both STI and factory RIA (TCM) followers soon.

:D:D:D

That's very interesting. Something has changed since then though. The .38 super magazine, that I received from Greg Cote, looked exactly like the picture of the 9mm one. The transition groove starts in exactly the same place and my 9mm didn't nosedive when I just test loaded them (as they said it shouldn't with the longer groove). They must have adopted the lower transition groove for .38 super since then. By the way, the only difference I can find between the M P18 .38 S magazine and the one that came with the TCM is it looks like they ground the feed lips back about .130 inch on the TCM magazine. Other than that, they appear identical to me.

This just sucks ! Sorry but how can so many people buy a brand new gun and everyone of us is having nose dive trouble. Looks to me Rock Island would help. Every one of the descriptions is the same thing. So wonder who can fix this issue. Frustrated, HELL yes.