Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

I got tired of Fuing with it. Sent it to Benny and its shooting great. The guns are very cheap in price, mass produced and due to the price they just do not get the TLC we expect. I like mine and shoot it quite a bit. But is was Hell for awhile.

:cheers:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thing when I got mine. Front sight too low. I called them and they sent me another one, since I wanted to put it on myself. I only did it to make sure I had the right size Dawson FO front, which I ordered after I tested the height of the one they sent me. Works fine now. I had planned to go with a fiber optic front when I first bought it anyway.

I got "mine" back after 6 weeks at RIA. They sent me a new pistol (no mention of what was wrong with my original pistol) with "reliability tuning" done by one their gunsmiths and tested for 300rds.

Haven't had a chance to run it yet but really hope it runs now. I really like the feel and weight of the steel grip compared to my polymer grip STI 2011.

I've gotten a 140MM STI magazine to fit using a lot of filing. I had to reduce the front and rear of the mag to allow it to drop free, as the spring and trigger bar were hanging on the mag.

Maybe I reduced it too much, but I can over insert the mag beyond the magazine catch. It requires a lot of force to remove once over inserted. It also can only happen with the slide locked back. I'll try adding something like a sleeve to the mag body to prevent this over travel.

I've gotten a 140MM STI magazine to fit using a lot of filing. I had to reduce the front and rear of the mag to allow it to drop free, as the spring and trigger bar were hanging on the mag.

Maybe I reduced it too much, but I can over insert the mag beyond the magazine catch. It requires a lot of force to remove once over inserted. It also can only happen with the slide locked back. I'll try adding something like a sleeve to the mag body to prevent this over travel.

I know Mike Seeklander added a set screw to prevent this. I do not know the details. Its also possible that the Dawson Posilok magrelease might help but I do not have one to try.

I know Mike Seeklander added a set screw to prevent this. I do not know the details. Its also possible that the Dawson Posilok magrelease might help but I do not have one to try.
I'm probably going to just try putting some material around the body, like a cutout basepad glued on.

I forgot to mention that the STI magazine corrects the feed angle issues I had with certain bullet designs. WWB feeds fine without nose dive.

I received my 2011 RIA in .40 cal yesterday, I've read quite a few topics on this forum about the 22tcm/9mm pistol mags. Does anybody have any suggestions or experience with aftermarket mags for the .40? Will the STI mags work without modification?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a mid sized RIA 22TCM for almost a year now and I really like it. Mine didn't come with an extra 9 MM barrel, I bought my extra barrel from Armscor and had it cut down by a local gunsmith. I bought four 9MM Para mags (double stack) off GunBroker. Lockup on the 9MM barrel seems to be tight enough, because accuracy is better than I expected. This was the 9th 1911 I have and I've bought a double stack grip frame recently and a Pare LDA Carry model two weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with the RIA, altho I do think RIA's customer service could be better.

Lemme see if I got this straight..I purchased an RIA 51679, full rail, magwell, hi cap 9mm. If I order the P18 mags from Greg i will have to get the Dawson base pads and Arrendondo inserts? Sorry if I am beating a dead horse, new to the whole "modifying magazines" thing...

I'm probably going to just try putting some material around the body, like a cutout basepad glued on.

I forgot to mention that the STI magazine corrects the feed angle issues I had with certain bullet designs. WWB feeds fine without nose dive.

2015-01-16.jpg

2015-01-16.jpg

Very ugly, but this is a $2.99 plastic loader cut down to act as a spacer to prevent over insertion of the magazine when the slide is locked back.

Works well so far. Not that I've got one 140mm working well, time to drop some cash on many more.

Edited by CarlB86

Lemme see if I got this straight..I purchased an RIA 51679, full rail, magwell, hi cap 9mm. If I order the P18 mags from Greg i will have to get the Dawson base pads and Arrendondo inserts? Sorry if I am beating a dead horse, new to the whole "modifying magazines" thing...

correct.

Loving mine.

Has anybody had any experience with changing over to a extended mag release in these guns? I need something a little longer, I looked at the STI extended but the picture didn't look like it would stick out further. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I sourced a .40 high cap. I'm picking it up tomorrow & need a holster for it.

What are my options?

Blade-tech has a DOS competition holster specifically for the RIA hi-cap with full length dust cover.

I put a Wilson extended mag release on my 22 TCM. It took some fitting (filing on the surface in contact with the magazine followers) to keep from leaving a round in the magazine, but it was relatively easy. You just can't go too quickly and overdo it.

Well, I sourced a .40 high cap. I'm picking it up tomorrow & need a holster for it.

What are my options?

Blade-tech has a DOS competition holster specifically for the RIA hi-cap with full length dust cover.

Is that legal for Limited?

Do you have any experience with it? Will it stay put in a 3 gun stage where you've got to sprint around from spot to spot?

Edited by pastorjohnd

What are my options?

Do you have any experience with it? Will it stay put in a 3 gun stage where you've got to sprint around from spot to spot?

I ordered one, but it isn't in yet. I'll report back after it comes in and I play with it a bit.

I've only put about 200 rounds through mine, and so far I'm fairly happy with it.

Functionally the only problem I've had is the slide stop catching the slide every once in a while. I think rounds from the magazine are hitting it so I'm going to file it down a bit.

And it seems to like 180 grain Federal FMJ's over 165 WWB. Hopefully when I start loading for it I can shrink these groups down a bit.

7yds_zps01911e9c.jpg

15yds_zps2d018b8a.jpg

20yds_zps21f5c665.jpg

I actually just picked up a ria 9mm 1911a2... I was on the fence about getting the duel tcm model, but I heard that each round will land differently with the sights. So as nice as duel rounds would be, I could only have it sighted for one. Made that easy to pick. It's odd that the duel round model is cheaper then the 9mm tho...

What are my options?

I have one of these for my 45 and it is a nice holster with good retention. I did have to reshape mine a little bit for my double stack to fit it right. I think they are actually molded of the single stack so it was hitting the body around the mag release so it would not seat deep enough for the trigger guard to fit into the molded part for the guard. A heat gun for a few seconds and it is perfect. Now the retention is good enough to let me hold the holster upside down with the gun fully loaded without falling out. It should be g2g for 3 gun.

Edited by DedOn