Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My STI is a shotgun.

kcobean

I got this STI a few months ago. I changed out the insert on my DAA holster and started shooting it at local matches immediately. My performance took a nose dive and I figured it was just that I needed time to get to know the gun. I've continued to struggle with steel and am getting way more deltas than I was with my XDm.

I FINALLY got the gun out to a static range today to sit down at a bench and do slow fire at some USPSA targets. The results were extremely disappointing. Nothing about those targets resembled a group by any stretch of the imagination. I took the gun over to the plate rack and shot just slow fire at the plates and was missing left and right. I picked up my son's Caspian...no problem. I took out my XD 40 carry gun, no problem. So I'm pretty sure that the performance issue here isn't me, it's this gun.

So now the work begins.

I don't have a history on this gun. Is it possible to shoot out a barrel in a handgun? Is it my ammo, and if so, is it a bullet type, COAL, bullet shape issue?

Has anyone experienced this before that might shorten my time-to-resolution with a little valuable insight? This is super frustrating because I really like this gun, but it's useless to me right now.

The recoil and mainsprings have been replaced. I'm using 165 grain RNHP's on 3.8-3.9 grains of Titegroup. My COAL is a 1.18, though I've shot 1.13 stuff and had similar issues (at least at matches).

I'm using 165 grain RNHP's on 3.8-3.9 grains of Titegroup. My COAL is a 1.18

Didn't anyone notice the obvious here. That load you're shooting doesn't even come close to major PF. You need about 4.8gn-5gn titegroup with that oal to make pf. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol You may not even be making minor pf. Get the load up too specs first before you start looking at other reasons. The load may be too light to shoot accurately.

Edited by Postal Bob

Try some factory ammo and see whats what.

I think this should be the first step... Test with factory ammo to create a baseline. Maybe something like Atlanta Arms and Ammo...

Edited by Rambo

Didn't anyone notice the obvious here. That load you're shooting doesn't even come close to major PF. You need about 4.8gn-5gn titegroup with that oal to make pf. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol You may not even be making minor pf. Get the load up too specs first before you start looking at other reasons. The load may be too light to shoot accurately.

That was where I was heading with post #3

I didn't want to call him a cheater until I had the facts right

Yeah, sorry Bob, I gave bad data. I was just home from a weekend of offroading and shooting a was exhausted. I am using 5.0 grains of Titegroup. 3.8 is what I load in my son's 9mm.

That was where I was heading with post #3

I didn't want to call him a cheater until I had the facts right

LOL...Not a cheater. My ammo chronos around a 171 PF.

Try some factory ammo and see whats what.

I'll do that. I hope this proves to be an ammo problem and not a gun problem. Of course, I'll have to figure out what to do with a couple thousand rounds of ammo if it is.

I had the same problem in one of my guns with 180g berry's RS plated bullets. I finally tried some factory 165g and it was night and day difference in accuracy. It also kicked like a mule but it was accurate.....