Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My STI is a shotgun.

kcobean

I had the same issue with some plated bullets in my Glock 17. It would keyhole at 10 yards with them. My STI Eagle would shoot satisfactory groups with the same ammo. I used them all up in my STI. Both guns print good groups with Freedom Munitions loads (115RN, 124RN and 147RN, all plated bullets, go figure).

Hurley

For you guys that have experienced issues with plated bullets, what did you switch to? These are HSM plated bullets that shoot great out of my XDm.

Edited by kcobean

If cost isn't a concern then jacketed is the way to go. But if cost is a factor, then save some coin (and barrel life) and go with coated lead. The coated pills will also save you a smidge of powder as they require less powder to make the same PF.

I tried PD's 124gr HP in 9mm and they were friggin sweet. Some of the most accurate rounds I ever loaded. YMMV.

Try some factory ammo

I'll have to figure out what to do with a couple thousand rounds of ammo.

Those thousands of rounds of ammo make GREAT practice. :cheers:

Also, a lesson NOT to load thousands of rounds before testing to make sure they

fully function and are accurate. :bow:

before you buy different bullets to reload try some factory ammo and see how it does.

Yep, that's my game plan. I just got a handful of blue bullets from a buddy as well, so I'll try those out anyway since I have 'em lyin' around.

Try some factory ammo

I'll have to figure out what to do with a couple thousand rounds of ammo.

Those thousands of rounds of ammo make GREAT practice. :cheers:

Also, a lesson NOT to load thousands of rounds before testing to make sure they

fully function and are accurate. :bow:

Yeah, unfortunately, I loaded these thousands of rounds for my XDm before I stumbled upon this STI. They shoot well in my carry gun though, so if nothing else, I'll have range ammo for that.

I had the same problem with a STI in 9mm. But my other gun also a STI in 9mm loved the load the first gun hated. Long story short I sold the first gun. But I couldn't get anything to shoot very well. I have another edge on order and hopefully this one shoots better. But I have to say my Trubor and RangerII both in 9mm are tack drivers with both plated and jacketed bullets.

I had the same problem with a STI in 9mm. But my other gun also a STI in 9mm loved the load the first gun hated. Long story short I sold the first gun. But I couldn't get anything to shoot very well. I have another edge on order and hopefully this one shoots better. But I have to say my Trubor and RangerII both in 9mm are tack drivers with both plated and jacketed bullets.

I would think that's the worst case scenario that I end up replacing this barrel, but I'm hopeful that an ammo change will do the trick.

I too had noticed a loss of accuracy with my STI edge 9mm (2005 model)

So I used a low round count ( 2012 model) STI edge to compare groups with the same ammo using Montana gold bullets

and tite group powder.

Both guns have original STI barrels, the group size was very apparent the

barrel was worn out .

The older gun could barely hit a 9' paper plate at 25 yds benched.

and the newer gun shot 2" groups.

I replaced the barrel with a KKM and it now shoots small groups with the same ammo.

Edited by CraigS.

I too had noticed a loss of accuracy with my STI edge 9mm (1994 model)

So I used a low round count ( 2012 model) STI edge to compare groups with the same ammo using Montana gold bullets

and tite group powder.

Both guns have original STI barrels, the group size was very apparent the

barrel was worn out .

The older gun could barely hit a 9' paper plate at 25 yds benched.

and the newer gun shot 2" groups.

I replaced the barrel with a KKM and it now shoots small groups with the same ammo.

Yeah, this is a 10+ year old gun, so it's possible that it's just worn out. The guy I bought it from was the second owner and couldn't give me an accurate round count.

Just sharing my experience, my 40 STI Edge has had very good groups with coated lead. Used jacketed projectiles, loaded in major PF at 174, it just didnt like the load with the shots spread really wide. Increased the load, now reaching PF 178 - 180, the accuracy improved once more.

If you get that gun to shoot let us know. I would be interested to see if the barrel replacement does the trick. Mine that wouldn't group would also shoot WAY to the left. I had to move my sight so far to the right it looked horrible and my OCD self couldn't live with it. It's was from one of the places that tunes them up and puts all the goodies on them so they ready to go when you get them out of the box. But it sucks when you spend all the extra money and the sights are all jacked up.

If you get that gun to shoot let us know. I would be interested to see if the barrel replacement does the trick. Mine that wouldn't group would also shoot WAY to the left. I had to move my sight so far to the right it looked horrible and my OCD self couldn't live with it. It's was from one of the places that tunes them up and puts all the goodies on them so they ready to go when you get them out of the box. But it sucks when you spend all the extra money and the sights are all jacked up.

I'll let ya know how this turns out for sure. I loaded up the 50 or so 180 grain Ibejiheads bullets I got from my buddy with 4.5 grains of Titegroup, so we'll see how they do and go from there.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, so here's the update:

I did two things:

1. I switched to 200gr Bayou bullets and loading them on 4.3 grains of N320.

2. I had a smith look at the gun. The barrel link pin was loose and it seemed like the accuracy would come and go depending on whether the pin was centered or sitting off to one side. He replaced it with an oversized pin that is pressed in.

The gun is now accurate as can be. Here's a video of me shooting Stage 9 of the Maryland State Championship. 28 pieces of steel, all at pretty good distances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOo2yvGn33w

i had the same issue with a 9mm.

was going crazy using different ammo, reload variations with different powder , grains, bullet weight, etc.

had people shoot my gun and realized it wasn't me.

so my gunsmith slugged the barrel and it was just over .357 no wonder i couldn't get a good group with it.

i got the gun used so i put in a storm lake barrel and never looked back...i use my own plated reloads too.